How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Oct 17, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #481 of 1,012
I'm considering making my own 1/4" to 1/8" plug to take my Senn 595's to my mini-jack amp. I want to avoid using those single piece adaptors you pick up at Ratshack, because I'm sure I'll break something really quick. So I plan on making essentially the same piece, except with a 90deg minijack male connector on one end connected with 3-4inches of cable and a 1/4" female piece on the other.I've opted to use the Canare cable outlined in the first post and the Switchcraft 90deg mini plug. I was trying to find the 1/4" female adaptor for one end, but the markertek site has about 3 different options and they all sound the same.

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...baseItem=SW120

I think it's the first one, but I'd appreciate any input as to if that is the correct piece or not. And if you can give me some tips on soldering that piece I'd really like the help. If anyone else has some tips I'd appreciate it for my first attempt at a DIY cable.
lambda.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #484 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I think you want Part # SW131 found on this page:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=0&sort=prod

You're exactly right. But I can't seem to find the Switchcraft model on any site that doesn't require a bulk purchase <25 dollars. I think I'm going to have to go with the Neutrik version, although I really don't like the way to looks and the locking mechanism.

EDIT--
Okay after a bit of searching I found http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-313 which appears to be a generic build. Would it be a better idea to go with Neutrik or this? I wanted to heatshrink the ends, but if it's at the expense of quality I'll stick with just heatshrinking one end. Also, with the Neutrik model http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=092-134 , has anyone actually used this with the Star Quad cable? I want to make sure it looks clean on the end without heatshrink.

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #486 of 1,012
cost me 3€ for the mini,s and 4€ for the cable, took 2 hours to make, second attempt.

Im happy and the sound is alot better than the normal mini's, much clearer Highs.

Id put this up against most 30-100€ cables.

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #487 of 1,012
cost me 3€ for the mini,s and 4€ for the cable, took 2 hours to make, second attempt.

Im happy and the sound is alot better than the normal mini's, much clearer Highs.

Id put this up against most 30-100€ cables.

double spam woohoo, Sorry.. =/

Nov 20, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #489 of 1,012
Hey all!
This is going to be my first cabling attempt.
Here is what I purchased:

-6 [L-4E6S OE] Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad Microphone Cable Orange
-1 [35HDNAU] Switchcraft Mini 3.5mm Gold Plug with Nickel Handle
-4Polyofefin 3/8x2 shrink tubing (HGA)
-2 LOK Performance RCA Rhodium/Black (HGA)

Is there anything else that I should consider getting?
Would this be a good setup?
I hope itll be better than the 20 dollar NXG interconnect i currently have.

I have a question.
WHat is the point of the techflex tubing?
Is it mostly for looks and to make the cable easier to handle or does it perform a specific function?
Do I need to get some of that stuff?
Also, how big of a difference is "regular" solder and silver solder in terms of sound quality? Will I notice anything at all?

Nov 20, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #490 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHat is the point of the techflex tubing?
Is it mostly for looks and to make the cable easier to handle or does it perform a specific function?

Make the cable look nicer, and if you're using multiple strands of cable keeps them together

Quote:

Do I need to get some of that stuff?

Need - no, want - maybe.

Quote:

Also, how big of a difference is "regular" solder and silver solder in terms of sound quality? Will I notice anything at all?

Considering that you shouldn't actually have the solder conducting the signal, you shouldn't hear anything. Silver solder is only used on silver or silver plated wire / components. It's usually harder to work with and the only reasno to use it is that it sticks to silver better. You shouldn't use it unless you're using silver wire/plugs.

No matter what solder you use, you still should have a good mechanical connection between components (they should physical be touching - better if pressed against each other). The solder is mostly there just to keep it in place.

Good luck with the cable, it should look and sound good with those components. I haven't tried the Canare starquad or the LOK RCA's, but Magami starquad is very good and the Switchcraft mini is the best I've ever used. I only use it on my best cables / headphone recables.

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #491 of 1,012
awesome, thanks a lot.
So hopefully this will actually improve the sound quality of my setup, but I should probably invest in a better source component as well (turtle beach audio advantage micro).
BTW, has anyone used the RCA connectors that I have?
Are the connectors generally easy to work with?
Also, since I will be cutting up the cable to split it into two RCAs at one end, will I need to shield it at all? and would wrapping it in electrical tape do anything? I noticed that there were several setups with the cables bare (but twisted/braided) so my guess would be no.

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #492 of 1,012
A question about AC power cable...
What type/brand of cable do you guys prefer for making a DIY AC power cable? I'm in the process of making AC power cables to carry AC from an externally housed transformer to my amp and don't know what's out there for this. All I can really find is assembled AC cords but not separate AC cables.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #493 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question about AC power cable...
What type/brand of cable do you guys prefer for making a DIY AC power cable? I'm in the process of making AC power cables to carry AC from an externally housed transformer to my amp and don't know what's out there for this. All I can really find is assembled AC cords but not separate AC cables.

I use this stuff http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...53&rak=100-790

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #495 of 1,012
i have a question about this ic you made.

FSLO-1070952733-457801.jpg

you said you only use starquad so i'm assuming you used 1 strand of starquad for your mini-rca.

where it splits into the Y, did you just remove pvc and the shielding and just twist 2 wires (2 for left and 2 for right), then just put the nylon multifilament on? it seems much thicker than that, so i'm curious as to what you used to cover the 2 bare wires before you added the multifilament.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back