How to make a shorter Sennheiser HD800 cable?
Oct 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

poikkeus

100+ Head-Fier
I want to make a 5 foot cable for my Senn HD800 phones, with a mini jack. I've never even made a simple interconnect, much less something more advanced - though I'm up to the challenge.

Where do I begin?

1. Should I pay some Head-Fi'er to do the project?
2. Is there any procedure to follow to complete this project? What kind of materials should I get, and where?
3. I've browsed the DIY forum - and know that there's a lot of information out there. Are there any specific resources what could be useful?

I don't want to spend $300 for a Moon Audio cable, as good as it might be. I just a good, shortened cable for my own convenience. Hints?

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 7
The experienced DIY'er here are great.  I can recommend their services with confidence.  Simply reterminating into a shorter cable and mini-jack don't seem overly difficult though should you decide to do it yourself.  Again, do peak into the DIY forums here for any assistance (this topic is probably a better fit there than here, actually).

A question though... what equipment do you have that necessitates the retermination into a mini-jack? 
confused.gif
  I ask that as I honestly don't see too many equipment that has a mini jack that can do HD800 justice...

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 7

Fair question. While I use the HD800 for the vast amount of my listening , I also preview some music through my computer. Admittedly, not ideal for the HD800, but it works surprisingly well and quite versatile. Using a computer means that I use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter jack, which is nearly four inches long. A shorter jack means less wear on my gear.

I don't use the HD800 for iPod listening.

Quote:
The experienced DIY'er here are great.  I can recommend their services with confidence.  Simply reterminating into a shorter cable and mini-jack don't seem overly difficult though should you decide to do it yourself.  Again, do peak into the DIY forums here for any assistance (this topic is probably a better fit there than here, actually).

A question though... what equipment do you have that necessitates the retermination into a mini-jack? 
confused.gif
  I ask that as I honestly don't see too many equipment that has a mini jack that can do HD800 justice...

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Fair enough.  I agree those chunky 1/4 -> 1/8 plugs (the ones that comes with K701 for example, I'm thinking?) induce way too much stress on mini jacks.  But on that note, you could also try the Grado/Sennheiser style adapters that use a wire between the converter jack and a standard size 1/8 plug.  But if you need to mod the cable for length anyway then you may as well throw that in there.  Conversely though, I wonder if the inevitable necessity afterwards for a 1/8 -> 1/4 adaptor (either the screw-on or plug-on type) would prove to be reliable/durable enough in the long run.  Always wondered myself actually, anyone know for sure?

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 7
I did find one of the wire connectors, by a miracle, and by resting the combo HD800 to mini plug on a backup hard drive:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3194/p1000164f.jpg

As you can see, it works fine - and even adds some support for the gigantic Senn jack. Thanks for the inspiration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back