How to keep from ruining your IEM's with sweat ... when working out or playing on stage?
Mar 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EricLThomp

New Head-Fier
I play drums and sweat non-stop while playing.  I regularly wear IEMs.  I'm always thinking I could ruin them with one drop of sweat dropping in the "hole" where the drivers reside (many brands do not have filters).
Any thoughts, experience, tips on keep the insides of your IEMs dry?  This could include wearing IEMs while on stage, working outside in heat, working out, etc.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't think they're as fragile/susceptible to water damage as you think.  What type of IEM's are these that you're worried about?

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 6
I may start doing the bandana/headband thing actually. 

The IEMs I use are Fisher remolded UE Triplefi10.  I also just got some Westone4 IEMs remolded.  I am going to use those strictly for iPod type listening off stage though I think.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 6
If you're using customs which are balanced armatures (which I believe you are), then they're probably not vented in any way and ought to be reasonably resistant to sweat.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
If you're using customs which are balanced armatures (which I believe you are), then they're probably not vented in any way and ought to be reasonably resistant to sweat.

True, my JH5's are acrylic and create a virtual airtight seal when in place.  The seal is so good I would not hesitate to be outside in the rain with them on.

I estimate I have gone through over 200 sweaty aerobic workouts with them and they sound as good as the day I got them.  Original cable went from clear to green but sound not affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back