How to get the Best Streaming Sound Quality out of Mark Levinson 5909?
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sprintgtvgus

New Head-Fier
Hi

First time poster, I’ve always prioritized my Hi Fi system and only been an occasional headphone user whilst on the go or in bed.

However, we now have a baby about to arrive so I really need to make sure I still get my music fix!

I use the Sony MX1000XM3 for podcasts and convenience and bought the Mark Levingson 5909 to use for music.

I have a Roon Server with several streaming end points across the house.

I’m an iphone user so have so far really only been using the ML 5909 connected to my iphone using either Roon or the Tidal app, using the AAC Bluetooth codec.

The sound is not bad, but I’ve now tried a couple of other routes.

Tried plugging the wired USB C into my Macbook and headphones and streaming using Roon, not overly impressed really, does this take the headphones out of active mode, which DAC is being used here?

Anyway, more successful was connecting to one of my Bluesound Powernodes (2022 version), here I was able to get Bluetooth APTX HD which did to me sound noticeably more full range and dynamic than AAC from my iphone. I’m not sure if that’s the codec or just that the Powernode is a better source full stop. The lower sub bass registers on some tracks that I could not previously hear via Iphone/AAC were there and there was a bit more detail and clarity.

Unfortunately the Bluetooth from the Powernode in the kitchen does not reach the bedroom where I will probably do most of my streaming (or baby screaming!)

So what would I buy that will work with roon and send the best quality Bluetooth audio to the ML Headphones?

Another Bluesound product, one of the Wiim streamers?

Or is there a better way of doing this?

Wired might be ok if next to bed but probably want wireless given the baby mayhem that may be about to ensue.

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Apr 8, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Apr 8, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, I might give that a go. I have the apple camera adapter already from when I used a dragonfly dac on my iPhone.

It’s a bit unwieldy that thing, do I have it right that I’ll need to be plugged into power at the same time?

Tempted to splash out of an out of sight Bluetooth streamer and then I can just drive it using Roon or something via the app.

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Welcome!

Oh, then already having an adapter, you're all set! As for plugging into power, that's optional. I don't, mainly because when I am using it, I'm on the go and like to keep things minimal.

Tempted to splash out of an out of sight Bluetooth streamer and then I can just drive it using Roon or something via the app.

That, or an additional Roon endpoint, would probably result in the least amount of fuss

Best of luck, whatever you decide, and congratulations on the baby! :smiley:

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Ordered the adapter for £25 and let’s see how I get on…

Meanwhile I was looking at the Fiio D7 as a temptation, it’s Roon ready and might make an awesome bedside setup, with many different ways of connecting my headphones.

Better try the £25 solution first!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back