How to find sibilance sensitivity? How to find which Freq?
Feb 13, 2020 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SupperTime

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sensitive in the upper mids/lower treble region but I can't pinpoint the exact range of frequencies?
How do I do that, is there some sort of software I can use? Please help? It will help me eq.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 17
Feb 14, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 17
Wouldn't a random parametric EQ be exactly the tool you want for this? I often would lower the overall gain, and sweep one significant boost back and forth in the audible range until I hear the part of the music I'm looking for. Then it's just a matter of narrowing the range of that boost to really pinpoint the area(s) that troubles me. It's similar to the suggestion above, except that you play some music you know to sound annoyingly sibilant, and you can seek that instead of trying to identify sibilance as a single tone.

If the issue is caused by a headphone/speakers with a FR that emphasizes that area more than you'd like, then I'd go that road and ultimately just EQ the way you prefer.

But for a more case specific sibilance(a few select tracks or albums), you might want to use a "deesser" on those tracks to deal with them once and for all.

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 17
You might find something of interest here online to help narrow things down.

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Much more than just frequency sweeps.
Thanks a thousand times for bringing this up.
Really appreciated.
Tested it immediately.
Was surprising and scary at the same time. :ksc75smile:
Especially the treble extension test, which i passed with 13k, i guess. :triportsad:
Will try it with fresh ears again tomorrow.

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 17
Don't crank the volume to pass the treble extension test. It's still loud sound, whether you can hear it or not. Don't damage your hearing.

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 17
Don't crank the volume to pass the treble extension test. It's still loud sound, whether you can hear it or not. Don't damage your hearing.
Don't worry.
Have lowered the volume below my listening volume to take care of my hearing. :wink:

Mar 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 17
I've found out I'm more sensitive to the *clap* in music, some edm and hip-hop have these *claps* or a higher pitch drum is my guess... But what frequency does it present at... I can't figure out

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 17
I've found out I'm more sensitive to the *clap* in music, some edm and hip-hop have these *claps* or a higher pitch drum is my guess... But what frequency does it present at... I can't figure out
This is hard to find out w/o measurements of your specific claps.
Claps got a range from 100Hz till almost 16kHz.

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 17
Damn. How can I, where can I input my track and find out where most of these claps affect which relative band. A way to visualize
Maybe the free "SPEK Acoustic Spectrum Analyzer" can do the job.
But i don't know much about it.
You can analyze your audio files and hope you'll figure out what's the hassle.

http://spek.cc/

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 17
It's probably in the most sensitive range of human hearing, 2 to 5kHz. That's the "flinch range".

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 17
To calm something like a "clap" I'd suggest a compressor. It can be set to do almost nothing unless it meets one of those.
A really fast transient can contain a very large number of frequencies, spread all over the band limited signal. So an EQ might not be the right tool for that.

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 17
To calm something like a "clap" I'd suggest a compressor. It can be set to do almost nothing unless it meets one of those.
A really fast transient can contain a very large number of frequencies, spread all over the band limited signal. So an EQ might not be the right tool for that.
Please teach me at least the basics or guide me to a tutorial that will. How can I do this. At least I a simple level, if possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back