how to explain it to the un-enlightened
Aug 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 47
Given what I read on this thread, I am concerned about people's complacent, uncurious, and unengaging attitudes. I can't help but think that many people in our society are in a daze, or a trance, or [is it too much of a stretch?] mind control. Too much shopping? Too many commercials? Too much time plugged into the mass media?

Sometimes I want to ask some people, "Are you chipped?"
frown.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 47
It's always a sticky situation when someone comes over to my place, and they always say they would never spend so much money on audio equipment because they have better things to do, but if you examine their lives, they aren't doing anything remotely "better" (imo of course) or interesting. It leaves me perplexed because these same people go to Starbucks 2 to 3 times everyday, yes daily. Each trip they are $5-$10 poorer. Multiply that over the course of a year, that is a serious amount of dough that they could have used on an awesome life changing international trip, hifi gear, investments, music, concerts, anything. They instead spent it on overpriced coffee and sugary treats! Now, that is living it up!

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 47
don't explain, demonstrate. I brought my HD650s to school once with a portable amp to use during lunch. One person asked me how much they cost. I told them to which there was an astonished response. Then a girl who had listened to them said, "yeah, but listen to what comes out of them!" Believer. Isn't that how all things are though, The value isn't in the price, but in what it does for you, otherwise we'd all just sell our stuff and move on.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by btf1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's always a sticky situation when someone comes over to my place, and they always say they would never spend so much money on audio equipment because they have better things to do, but if you examine their lives, they aren't doing anything remotely "better" (imo of course) or interesting. It leaves me perplexed because these same people go to Starbucks 2 to 3 times everyday, yes daily. Each trip they are $5-$10 poorer. Multiply that over the course of a year, that is a serious amount of dough that they could have used on an awesome life changing international trip, hifi gear, investments, music, concerts, anything. They instead spent it on overpriced coffee and sugary treats! Now, that is living it up!

Well put btf1980

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #20 of 47
When people ask about the price of my gear, it's my choice whether to tell them or not. Frankly, it's none of their business. My friends have their own hobbies, and they have a lot of nice things too, and I'd never ask how much so and so's mountain bike or designer handbag costs.

When I do tell them, people are often astonished, but it's just how much you love something. Music keeps me going every day. I just got back from a long day at work, and a good song (Marvelous by Dragonette) is already cheering me up.

I'm happy with my hobby; I find it to be an excellent bridging of art and science. There's art in evaluating music, exploring new artists and genres, and discovering what sound you are looking for. The science, is building up such a knowledge of electronics and audio engineering, so that you can obtain that sound.

Also, I don't know why some audiophiles are so flabbergasted that some people can't appreciate their hobby. Maybe they just don't like music. Some people are going to be less open minded than others, and some people may be more arrogant or vocal about what they think of your spending. That's just their loss. I wouldn't bother trying to convert anyone, as, if they love music enough, they will just find their way here anyways.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #21 of 47
I don't brag about or show off my gear, nor do I skirt any questions when asked. People usually don't ask, though, because they don't care. That's how that works with normal folks.

Edit: also, I'm not sure how I feel about the term "unenlightened." It tends to suggest a feeling of superiority, something that I just don't feel about people who aren't into the hobby. We're all unenlightened in a way, and I actually have stronger feelings about audio dilettantes than people who are simply uninterested. Especially dilettantes with know-it-all attitudes.

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't brag about or show off my gear, nor do I skirt any questions when asked. People usually don't ask, though, because they don't care. That's how that works with normal folks.

Edit: also, I'm not sure how I feel about the term "unenlightened." It tends to suggest a feeling of superiority, something that I just don't feel about people who aren't into the hobby. We're all unenlightened in a way, and I actually have stronger feelings about audio dilettantes than people who are simply uninterested. Especially dilettantes with know-it-all attitudes.

I agree completely. You maka a lotta sense.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #23 of 47
These threads come up more and more often and I think we've had enough.

But i think that audio is a much smaller market than other hobbies e.g watch collecting. You see Rolex, TAG and other brands at your everyday jewellers alongside the cheaper counterparts like the Gucci and D&G bags are beside the others. In audio, the market is smaller so no one has heard of these brands. Much like if you had a model train collection, hardly anyone will know how good x brand of train is. Therefore this ignorance(right word?) leads people to believe that Bose, Skullcandy and the like are 'the best a man can get' so when Grado's, Stax are seen they do not think the sound could be much better. Audio quality is basically socially accepted as being a second priority thing for most people and i don't think our small population can change that much. The big brands have way too much power than us.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #24 of 47
Let them listen. I actually bring my HD 555's to school (because my CX 200's are in repair) amidst the Skullcandy and Bose hype. Guess what, some of my blockmates are amazed at the sound quality and they asked me for cheaper suggestions. One even is a staunch anti-Skullie, because he's heard them and their awful sound.

Some however do not understand why I buy expensive equipment. I just say that I love getting superior sound quality, and professional headphones are a way to go. I'll give them a listen if I can next week.

... I still hope I can buy HD 228's since my 555's are big and are sapping my phone battery.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #26 of 47
the hardest thing is not to explain to average joe who don't get it, but to make your wife or girlfriend understand it. sometimes a 5k spent on an amp just deter people.

i love my music, but i have to say that gears do change me. it introduce classic music to me, sth seemed boring to me when listen through trash earbuds. at the moment of writing, i'm enjoying Mr. Bach.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #27 of 47
As a teenager, many of my peers frown upon my rampant spending of hard earned money on audio gear. Most teenagers see audio equipment as a market that should include nothing more than their iPod or Laptop and a crappy to decent pair of headphones. I personally just don't argue at all and put the topic to rest as soon as I can. I have a particularly judgmental friend who crudely stated that "It's dumb to spend 300 dollars on headphones." Arguments with him usually end up causing more harm than good so I decided not to get into one in the first place. I responded "Okay." Unfortunately he obviously expected me to disagree and for the argument to escalate at which point he could "win" the argument and feel accomplished. Ending on that note didn't seem to satisfy him. He persisted with more statements condemning my spending. I never broke my neutral and unaggressive attitude and eventually he gave up. Afterwards there was no animosity between us and my technique worked well. If the technique works with him, it will work with anybody, that's for sure. I use a similar technique with everyone else who feels the need to question my investments and it has yet to fail me.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't explain. It's none of their business. If guests to my home ask why I have so much, I simply tell them I like it. No one has ever gone beyond that answer to ask further questions. I also like guns...

hmm, I wonder why no one has gotten past the first answer...

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't explain. It's none of their business. If guests to my home ask why I have so much, I simply tell them I like it. No one has ever gone beyond that answer to ask further questions. I also like guns and books. No one has ever questioned me about those either.

Hah. Having lots of guns certainly keeps people from asking too many questions!

I don't tell anybody anything either. My answer to "how much" is always "a certain amount."

Once the novelty of it goes away nobody really cares. It's a niche hobby after all.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #30 of 47
My shiny new HF2s have brought this conversation back to the office. My boss was easy to convince... I put them on his head, "Wow... those do sound incredible." Another co-worker just bought a $200 kitchen knife (a Shun) to go with his already 2 deep collection. He took no convincing whatsoever.

The thing that always boggles my mind is how nobody even wants to listen to them. Not one person asked... Yet when I brought in my T-Mobile G1 for the first time everybody wanted to mess with it. High-end audio is just so unappreciated these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back