how to explain it to the un-enlightened
Sep 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #46 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by paddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These threads come up more and more often and I think we've had enough.

But i think that audio is a much smaller market than other hobbies e.g watch collecting. You see Rolex, TAG and other brands at your everyday jewellers alongside the cheaper counterparts like the Gucci and D&G bags are beside the others. In audio, the market is smaller so no one has heard of these brands. Much like if you had a model train collection, hardly anyone will know how good x brand of train is. Therefore this ignorance(right word?) leads people to believe that Bose, Skullcandy and the like are 'the best a man can get' so when Grado's, Stax are seen they do not think the sound could be much better. Audio quality is basically socially accepted as being a second priority thing for most people and i don't think our small population can change that much. The big brands have way too much power than us.

Our hobby is a good deal different than hobbies such as watch collecting. The best phones, or speakers for that matter, are cutting edge technology, verging on scientific instruments. A Rolex watch doesn't keep better time than a Timex, it's just expensive jewelry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiisus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, my issues are mostly with my girl. But the thing is, she's not like a lot of girls. She doesn't actually own a ton of shoes, purses, etc. And she's very responsible with her money. I on the other hand, obsess over stuff, and would gladly fork out my earnings. Some people just won't understand, and sometimes you'll get nagged about it. It just happens.

I bought most of my stuff before I got married so that took care of the wife problem. My wife doesn't really care much about good sound. Nor is she particularly into fine music. So I guess that unless you are initially turned on a lot by music, you are unlikely to be turned on by good sound.

She was originally impressed by my loudspeaker set-up but not at all by the headphones which she won't generally use. My teenage kids are more tolerant of headphones since they walk around with Ipods, but it is hard to get them to understand what is good or bad about some of what they listen with. Of course Ipods throw out so much of the signal that a lot of detail which would be better heard with better phones is not there anyways.

A few times I have heard them comparing a CD with the Ipod version of a song and noting this very lack of detail, so maybe they are starting to get the hang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back