how to explain it to the un-enlightened
Aug 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

sup?

New Head-Fier
I dont know if this fits in the high-end board, but im sure people with high end gear runs across this 'problem' more often than others

do you ever run accross people that are confused, or maybe even look down at it, when they see your expensive audio? people who ask why you would use houndreds or thousands of dollars on sound, when you could just get some commercial-phones for 5$?

If so, how do you respond? how do you make people understand that theres difference between audio, more than just the looks.

i run across alot of people who thinks its all the same myself.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 47
sup?;5966028 said:
I dont know if this fits in the high-end board, but im sure people with high end gear runs across this 'problem' more often than others

do you ever run accross people that are confused, or maybe even look down at it, when they see your expensive audio? people who ask why you would use houndreds or thousands of dollars on sound, when you could just get some commercial-phones for 5$? QUOTE]

Let them listen. If they don't get it they are somehow impaired. Music is the communication of angels. I want to hear the sound of their calloused fingers on the strings. Different angels have different callouses; the sounds are different when they come down on the neck of a great contrabass. If you don't hear the difference between Charlie Mingus and Charlie Haden at that quietest of levels you miss the whole thing.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 47
I don't even have a 'real' rig yet as I still don't have an amp but my friends at school already think I'm crazy with my triple.fi's. All I tell them is that I want my music to sound very good and that the won't understand

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 47
I don't explain. It's none of their business. If guests to my home ask why I have so much, I simply tell them I like it. No one has ever gone beyond that answer to ask further questions. I also like guns and books. No one has ever questioned me about those either.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 47
I have a big system and have always had big systems that reside in my living room where no one could possibly miss them.

I don't even bother trying to hide it or explain it, I just demo the system and 9 out of 10 people are blown away. They might not be ready to take the plunge into high-end audio but understand that you can get a perfect performance any day and any time with a nice stereo.

The 1 out of 10 that don't get it are typically not into music and will never understand.

I have never really run into anyone that is offended by the amount of money that the gear costs but then most of the people that I hang out with have some type of expensive hobby. Have you checked out what it costs to be an avid golder these days?
eek.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 47
Perhaps it is somewhat a product of one's age (I'm forty-twelve, soon to be forty-thirteen), but I don't care what other people think when it comes to that kind of thing, and don't feel any particular need to explain-- nor do I feel any need to justify my goals, purchases, priorities and/or taste!!!

More importantly, it's nobody's business what you've spent on it either-- and it seems to me to be at least somewhat rude for people to ask.

If you meet all of your other social, legal and financial obligations, and chose to spend your disposable income on audio-- more power to you! Enjoy it.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's none of their business. If guests to my home ask why I have so much, I simply tell them I like it.

I don't question my friends why they have so many pairs of shoes, hats, bags/purses for the girls

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 47
I usually asked them why they spent so much on <input expensive WANT here> when you can buy a perfectly fine <input expensive WANT here> for less. Just about everyone has something they spend more on than they need. Fishing poles, watches, bags, shoes, bikes, TV, phone, softball bats, video games, etc. etc.

That is a simple response and everyone immediately gets it... I enjoy audio and find it worth the extra money, just like they do with their hobby.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually asked them why they spent so much on <input expensive WANT here> when you can buy a perfectly fine <input expensive WANT here> for less. Just about everyone has something they spend more on than they need. Fishing poles, watches, bags, shoes, bikes, TV, phone, softball bats, video games, etc. etc.

That is a simple response and everyone immediately gets it... I enjoy audio and find it worth the extra money, just like they do with their hobby.

That's going to be my response exactly to my parents when I buy an amp and maybe more goodies
regular_smile .gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 47
There's almost never a reason to tell outsiders the price of gear. If asked, I always hedge with it being used, DIY, etc., and that I traded for it, and so on. Evasive answers are OK.

Second, I just let people listen. You don't need to argue at all.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 47
Or don't invite people over!
wink.gif
But seriously I just tell me it is what I enjoy and do not go beyond that. If they ask further questions then depending on my mood I may fire up the system or evade them.

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 47
"I believe in my ears, not my gear !"
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 47
I find that if you have to explain it, you've already lost. You can demo it and maybe they can at least appreciate it, but if it's not important to them I don't think they can actually understand. My wife has one of the most tin ears I've ever seen and she can't understand my audio obsession, but even she noticed and appreciated the difference when I went from JVC speakers to Polk in my home set-up.

Oh, and speaking about my wife, whenever she questions my audio obsession/spending, all I have to do is mention how many purses (>10) and pairs of shoes (>30) she has. That usually ends it. Everyone has something they direct energy and spending to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back