How to Equalize Your Headphones: 2016 update
Mar 5, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #16 of 62
The frequency on the upper left will scroll up in the video and the frequency corresponding to the scrolling number will play. If at some point of the video the tone suddenly sounds too loud, take a note of the number scrolling in the video--that's the range of frequencies you have to tone down using Electri-Q. Vice versa, a part that sounds too quiet is a part you have to tone up using Electri-Q. There are frequency indicators on the horizontal axis of Electri-Q, and if you double-click on a point you can even enter a specific number. Look further down the tutorial for further instructions on Electri-Q
smily_headphones1.gif

This works great for "local" problems such as peaks and dips, but what if there is a gentle rise or decrease over a number of octaves? The overall balance can still be way off, if I follow this method. Am I supposed to make wild jumps through the video to find out about such problems? How would I be able to correct those in a systematic way? Or, in other words: Would you mind to provide us with a set of pre-rendered test tones like Lunatique did, but using the same generic equal-loudness contour? 
L3000.gif

By the way, I'm using the TDR Nova AU plugin in AU Lab. I redirect the output of a regular video player via Soundflower. The free version of Nova supports four bands, while the commercial one adds another two. I can use more than one instance to work around that limitation, but it's very awkward. If anyone can recommend something more capable for Mac, I would appreciate that as well.

Nova has a built-in spectrum analyzer, so I don't really need the video to display the current frequency, but it's a great idea and can be extremely useful for other applications.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 62
@Joe Bloggs
: Providing pre-rendered test tones is too much of a hassle, I see. Please put it on the feature request list for the 2017 update.

Actually wouldn't jumping through the video as you suggest do just fine for the problem you describe? You can note down the timestamps for whatever frequencies it's playing at that you want to return to and jump between them...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 10, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #20 of 62
Actually wouldn't jumping through the video as you suggest do just fine for the problem you describe? You can note down the timestamps for whatever frequencies it's playing at that you want to return to and jump between them...

Repeatedly and quickly jumping between exact timestamps while doing A/B comparisons is not easy to do. How do I quickly find the right position in the video that corresponds to the previously noted timestamp? Am I the only one whose video player does not support bookmarks?

I am now extracting short snippets of your video as audio tracks instead. If this works out and anyone is interested, I can share the files.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 62
  Read an article on Innerfidelity about EQing to the Harman response curve. Any tips on trying to do the same with your method?

I thought the Harman response curve is for people that prefer a slightly muddy, dark-ish sound. 
wink_face.gif

But, seriously, what's wrong with the JB response curve? So far it seems to work quite well for me, although I'm usually listening to music at non-meh loudness. 
confused.gif

And now for some great news: Rumor has it that the JB response curve will be built in to all future FiiO products along with a 99-band para EQ. 
L3000.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #23 of 62

I thought the Harman response curve is for people that prefer a slightly muddy, dark-ish sound. 
wink_face.gif

But, seriously, what's wrong with the JB response curve? So far it seems to work quite well for me, although I'm usually listening to music at non-meh loudness. 
confused.gif

And now for some great news: Rumor has it that the JB response curve will be built in to all future FiiO products along with a 99-band para EQ. 
L3000.gif

I loove muddy and dark!!!
biggrin.gif

Really, nothing wrong with the JB curve. Just read more about Harman, that's all.
And yes, @Joe Bloggs really should be campaigning to get some of his presets added to the fw.
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #24 of 62
LOL, had to look up the Joe Bloggs equalizing tutorial.  Good stuff. 

I'm actually able to my GR07s to sound pretty flat from ~30hz-10khz using just a generic 10band EQ.  It would be nice to have a good parametric EQ and really dial these in. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 62
I always equalize by ear. It's good to look at your headphone's frequency response to get a feel. when you play music have your spectrum analyzer on and when ever a frequency is too loud you lower it on your equalizer when you don't hear enough of a certain frequency you raise it. If possible don't boost frequencies only atteunate by lowering because it prevents clipping this way. Ear is the best way because no on can tell you how to equalize your headphones only you can because everyone has different ears and preferences.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 62

I thought the Harman response curve is for people that prefer a slightly muddy, dark-ish sound. :wink_face:

But, seriously, what's wrong with the JB response curve? So far it seems to work quite well for me, although I'm usually listening to music at non-meh loudness. :confused:

And now for some great news: Rumor has it that the JB response curve will be built in to all future FiiO products along with a 99-band para EQ. :L3000:  

I loove muddy and dark!!! :D

Really, nothing wrong with the JB curve. Just read more about Harman, that's all.
And yes, @Joe Bloggs
really should be campaigning to get some of his presets added to the fw.:wink_face:

If the Harman curve were plotted against a standard equal-loudness curve someday, I may be able to make use of that to make a Harman-tuned version of my test video. :confused:

As for your second idea, I've tried a bit of campaigning myself :xf_eek: You guys could start a petition or something, I'd be the first to sign on :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 15, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #29 of 62
I prefer a method that similar to sinegen. Download several tone 20hz to 20khz load the wav files in winamp playlist, now I can jump between frequency and pinpoint the peak or dip easier. I use sweep.mp4 for the last to fix small bump, wider band small rise or decrease also to match the curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back