How to DIY Balanced XLR
Jan 31, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Lil'Knight, but thats the same that I found online. When I look at balanced DACs (like the benchmark) I always see 2 xlr outputs, isnt that for left and right? or do you only need 1 3 pin XLR connector?

If you want to connect your balanced source to your balanced amp, you need a pair of 3-pin XLR cables, each for left and right. And you only use 2 pins in each cable, pin 2 for + and pin 3 for - ; pin 1 is not used.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Right, for a single ended xlr, what about an xlr with separate left and right?

Balanced you are using 2x XLR so you have 3 pins per XLR or a total of 6 pins. So you use the 3rd pin in each XLR for the shield.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Right, for a single ended xlr, what about an xlr with separate left and right?

stop thinking about an xlr connector carrying TWO channels.

that's odd, unusual and non-standard. and it will confuse ANY pro audio guy out there
wink.gif

one xlr = 1 channel. got it?

if you need 2 channels, you run 2 xlrs. if you need 5.1, you need 6 xlrs (6 channels total).

xlr is a 3 pin connector. if there are 4 pin versions, they are NOT called xlr - they are some other weird kind of thing
wink.gif

some DIN plugs carry many connectors. for my money, if I -had- to run more channels on a single connector and still be balanced I'd use a 5 pin DIN (they are extremely common). or a 4pin microphone connector (CB and ham radio style).

but please, if you talk about XLR, that's a 3 pin connector that carries ONE channel. ok?

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stop thinking about an xlr connector carrying TWO channels.

that's odd, unusual and non-standard. and it will confuse ANY pro audio guy out there
wink.gif

one xlr = 1 channel. got it?

if you need 2 channels, you run 2 xlrs. if you need 5.1, you need 6 xlrs (6 channels total).

xlr is a 3 pin connector. if there are 4 pin versions, they are NOT called xlr - they are some other weird kind of thing
wink.gif

some DIN plugs carry many connectors. for my money, if I -had- to run more channels on a single connector and still be balanced I'd use a 5 pin DIN (they are extremely common). or a 4pin microphone connector (CB and ham radio style).

but please, if you talk about XLR, that's a 3 pin connector that carries ONE channel. ok?

Why do all of the manufacturers and "standards" refer to the 4-pin plug as an XLR?

If you want to use a shielded cable here, tie it to the shell.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are ignoring the 4-pin XLR, which is often used in headphonia.

If you want to use a shielded cable here, tie it to the shell.

again, there is no such thing as '4 pin xlr'.

xlr means 'crossed left and right' (at least one story for the term's origin).

you will CONFUSE pro audio guys if you DARE say '4 pin xlr'. there is just no such thing.

xlr is a pro audio thing. the fact that people want to hack their phones to be 4 wire instead of 3 does not mean they have the right to redefine industry standard terms.

there are 4 pin connectors. but they are not properly called xlr.

'headphonia' or not.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 23
The first paragraph of the wikipedia article specifically states that xlr plugs DO NOT have to have 3 pins, they can have more.

Im pretty sure XLR jsut refers to the external properties of the plug's shell.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 23
wiki is not always right
wink.gif

I did notice that lately, some companies have hijacked the xlr term for multiconductor formats. they are calling them XLR4 and XLR5. at least if you add the numeral you make it clear its not the 'usual xlr' that most people think of.

wiki is wrong and it isn't the first time.

go to a pro audio shop (where xlrs are a common item) and ask them if xlrs come in more than 3 pin configs. see the confusion that ensues
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back