How to convert DT 880 into DT 990 (and vice versa). DT 770 Info.
Aug 11, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 63
Here's DT 770(pictures). Again, same driver, but this time, its' backside is covered with dampening cap(a plastic piece, filled with felt). This is DT 770 2005 edition-which is not a bass monster by any stretch. Maybe this cap is absent in Pro\80omh version and that's why it's a bass monster. I've tried to play them without this dampening cap and it sounded bad(too much bass). So if anyone can disassemble their pro\80 version-it's interesting to see if there's that cap or not.
28v9ijr.jpg

2h3tulj.jpg

2rqn9c8.jpg

So, the bottom line for Beyer owners: if you're not liking excessive bass-experiment with driver dampening from the back.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aah if this is so then the character of the 2 cans sonics are identical then (driverwise). If so, then I can now conclude that the dt880s are not for me. Hated the mids of the dt990s(for the price anyway). If they were $60, they would be a good value though.

enclosure, dampening, etc. affect sound much more than the driver. many have stated the midrange of the dt880s is a lot sweeter and better than dt990.

as for the conversion.. excellent!

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 63
I just got some DT770/600's and I was shocked at how bass-shy they are - they have the least bass of any of the headphones I own. I am going to try them with different damping configurations and I will report back.

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 63
Hm...not quite sure what to think...sounds reasonable, but...
confused_face(1).gif

***Thinks***

Edit: The sound sig is not just styled by the driver coverage or its absence, also the chassis interferes severely. I once tried to build myself a DT880 by implating 880 drivers into an old DT990 chassis - did ot work at all.

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #21 of 63
I remember having heard/read/whatever that the drivers are related - not the same. The question is: what does beyer consider "driver" and what "damping"? They're always talking about "systems" which seem to consist of driver (diaphragm and coil) and damping. So maybe I heard that the "systems" are related? Then the drivers itself may indeed be the same.

How about checking it out and ask beyer?
I'll do that tomorrow...

m00h

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #22 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got some DT770/600's and I was shocked at how bass-shy they are - they have the least bass of any of the headphones I own. I am going to try them with different damping configurations and I will report back.

My 770/600's are VERY bass heavy - so we might want to look into any possible changes made in design over the years.
I have had mine for a long long time.
Bass heavy - lacking mids - very very bright.

I have added felt in front of the drivers and tried dampening the cups as well as adding felt to the back of the drivers.
They never came close to the sound of 880's.
I need to experiment some more.

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm...not quite sure what to think...sounds reasonable, but...
confused_face(1).gif

***Thinks***

Edit: The sound sig is not just styled by the driver coverage or its absence, also the chassis interferes severely. I once tried to build myself a DT880 by implating 880 drivers into an old DT990 chassis - did ot work at all.

That's correct of course. Older Beyer modifications were quite different. All 2005 editions share the same housing, except grills on the outer side.

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by edhamgtr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 770/600's are VERY bass heavy - so we might want to look into any possible changes made in design over the years.
I have had mine for a long long time.
Bass heavy - lacking mids - very very bright.

Your 770/600 are almost certainly the earlier version (prior to the 2005 re-design).

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #25 of 63
when I removed the first black felt in front of the driver, my DT880 get a noticeable shaking bass, like my sold hd595 senns did at high volume
also now my cans are more direct, wider soundstage, clearer highs (less flat, more 'U'), and you feel new fatigue cause of that

I'm scared about removing the net behind
frown.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a good idea to remove the felt in front? Why do you want a sibilant cans to be even more sibilant?

I don't think DT880-250 '05 feels sibilant compared to MS1
now I get more aggressive sound, fun for some people
and it's just a mod to approach it to DT990

AND the net is actually glued in a ring, and the whole thing is easy to disassemble, more bass added

I spend 0€ for "listen new cans"

I like them more now
darthsmile.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #28 of 63
so was the 2005 edition update just a way for beyer to save money on manyfacturing??

as for the dt770s not sounding like dt880's.. did you change the enclosure to open as well? do you think the 990s different outer shell makes a difference?

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 63
Has anyone tried removing the net from the backside of the driver on the 05' dt880 while leaving the felt in place?

I'm pretty happy with the trebles and mids in my current setup, but a little more slam in the bottom end would be a welcome change (I think).

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Has anyone tried removing the net from the backside of the driver on the 05' dt880 while leaving the felt in place?

That's the only logical mod!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back