How to choose a Headphone
Apr 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

quain

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am always looking into getting better sound quality. But i am a starter so not sure how to i go ahead to choose a headphone, how to look at the specification when choosing.

As i do not want to pay a lot of money to buy the most expensive headphone(sometime expensive does not means is good), so need advice from expert to guide me and let me know how to choose a headphone which of my liking and is not over priced.

Kindly advice.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 9
My advice...dun start.

Keep your wallet zippppped...n dun ever come back,
Since u are at post 1.
:D

Goodbye.
:wink:

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Hello!

Yes! Clear your history on your internet browser after reading this, put all your money into the bank and don't take it again! It's a dangerous hobby! You might become one of us! Headphiles-Zombie! We are very scary! We look at the neck of everyone at the public for headphones, if it look good, we follow the cable can look all the way down to the hand that is holding the MP3 Player/ smartphone to see if it is something awesome!

Nah, don't worry! We won't steal it and we don't steal things. We ask if we can take it... Lol
[Above all is just a joke! Please do not take it seriously! But if you do, I apologize!]

So now. I do not recommend you to judge the headphone by only the manufacture specification. Neither would I recommend you to study the frequency graph for sound signature. Because, if you can't get a proper seal for the headphone, it will not sound the same! The best is to try it yourself. If you wanted to learn about describing sound signature, http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary . To learn about how to study a headphone frequency graph, for me, I do test myself and experience it myself. It is always best to start off with a cheaper headphone and then slowly climp up the hill as you never know what type of sound signature you like at the beginning.

Oh well, the very good reason why I like about audio is because I do not have to go school to study! Here and any other audio websites are more than enough start with! It is a very good investment at least, better than getting a smartphone as they become old technology after a year or two while audio gear will last you longger than that! Like my living room speaker, it's been active since 7 years ago? And it still going strong! Another thing is, I been seeing a lot of people here with their audio gear living around with them for almost or more than a decades! On the other hand, when a smartphone discontinued, no one cares . Some headphones that is/are discontinued years ago, we still miss them like the AH-D7000?

Just a quick sharing of mine & I hope you like it!
Billson :)

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Currently I using a tdk sti710, so tot of upgrading to full size closed back.

As there is so many brand dun noe which one to try.

Also dun noe is there a need for a protable amp

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 9
Currently I using a tdk sti710, so tot of upgrading to full size closed back.

As there is so many brand dun noe which one to try.

Also dun noe is there a need for a protable amp

If that's the case:

$100 = UE4000
$200 = HD439/MDR-7506/UE6000 [depending on your taste]
$300 = HD598/K550/MDR-1R/Momentum [depending on your taste]

Billson :)

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Another great portable amp is the Fiio E17 Alpen. I use that sexy baby with my DT 770's when I go out biking and it adds some juice to the experience. It also doubles as a DAC if you're on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back