[How to] Change the color of your NuForce amplifier stand without paint!
Dec 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SoulSyde

Headphoneus Supremus
I loved everything about my Nuforce Icon HDP when it arrived - the sound, the form factor, the size, the fit and finish (except for the color of the stand).  I thought it looked cheap and out of place against the all-black theme of the amp.

So I decided to dye it.

Please note - The stand I dyed was for a Nuforce Icon HDP.  It is my understanding that the same exact stand is used for the Icon (1), Icone 2 and Icon Amp, but I cannot confirm this.  Please also note that if Nuforce changes the material used (hard silicone rubber) in future stands, this demonstration may not apply.

Materials needed:
-- Nuforce stand
-- Rit dye (color: black)
-- A small bucket
-- Chop sticks

Directions:

I chose to use Rit (black) clothing dye, but any color would likely work (results may vary).

Boil water in a pot or kettle and add to your small bucket.  Make sure to fill to a level that will completely cover the stand when placed into the water (2-3" is advisable).  Immediately add the dye.  I didn't measure, but probably had 1 part dye to 20 parts water.  The more dye used the darker the color.

Stir the dye and water mixture with chop sticks.  Immediately place the stand (right side up) in the water.

Wait 30-40 minutes.

Remove the stand from water (using your chopsticks) and rinse thoroughly with hot tap water for a few minutes.  BE VERY CAREFUL how you dispose of the dye.  It will stain everything it comes in contact with.  I recommend not pouring it into your sink or toilet as it may stain them.  I dumped the contents outside in a remote part of my yard.

Here is the before and after:

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Very interesting!  Not sure I am going to run out and do this with my HDP, but appreciate the knowledge :')

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Pretty cool SoulSlyde. I definitely have had the same thought about how much nicer it would be if the stand could be black as well. I might just be tempted to pull the trigger on this :). Once you rinse the stand and let it dry, does it ever rub off even slightly on anything else like white cloth if you rubbed it? I'm wondering how safe it would be from bleeding or staining anything else later, especially if liquids were spilled on it. Thanks for the pics!

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Pretty cool SoulSlyde. I definitely have had the same thought about how much nicer it would be if the stand could be black as well. I might just be tempted to pull the trigger on this :). Once you rinse the stand and let it dry, does it ever rub off even slightly on anything else like white cloth if you rubbed it? I'm wondering how safe it would be from bleeding or staining anything else later, especially if liquids were spilled on it. Thanks for the pics!

Jeez, I haven't followed-up with this thread in ages.  In case anyone wants to know the answer to the question above, the dye does not rub off on anything.  Allowing the stand to soak in hot water gives the dye the ability to penetrate the rubber thoroughly.  All you need is a good 60-second rinse and you're all set.  I never had the dye bleed onto my clothes, skin or table surface afterwards.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 11
SoulSyde, just found this thread. You rock. I saw your photo elsewhere on the site and wondered how to get the black stand! Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 11
This is quite an old thread but I happened upon it after purchasing my Icon HD.  I know it's not the HDP like SoulSyde's, but I was so impressed with the results and figured the HD and HDP stands would be identical so I decided to give it a shot.  I was looking very forward to a matching stand for my Icon HD!

I followed the instructions to a tee, even using the same dye, but I regretfully report that it did not work at all :frowning2: I'm not sure if Nuforce changed the composition of the stand, or if the HD stand is different than the HDP stand, but it didn't penetrate the material and left it with a (very) slight brownish hue.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 11
I would recommend using more dye.  You may even want to mix black and blue, and let it sit longer.  Black will come out looking brown if not left in long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back