How to bind your DAP with AMP??
Mar 6, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ack_0220

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am trying to look for the most elegant and simplest way to bind my ipod to my portable amp together when i carry it around. You guys have any ideas? I guess this would be an interesting topic, feel free to share your creative ideas and pics of your rig.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Velcro.

Yup. That's what I use and it's perfect.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 16
I tried velcro but it's a pain having to replace it after it gets worn out (after 10 removal/reapplications).

So I put a thin layer of non-skid foam in between my amp and player, then use 2 rubber bands to keep pressure on it. I just need to get some thicker black rubber bands to make it perfect.

There's also this stuff All about 3M Dual Lock

which I've been meaning to try. It's not fiber based so it will last longer. It also comes in a low-profile version which might be best for our use.
The grip is also exceptionally strong, so only a couple 3/16" strips are needed for holding your rig together.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 16
I use the dual lock stuff that the previous poster mentioned. It's good stuff, and hasn't worn out in 3 years. There is one drawback to it though. When it's bound together, the stuff is pretty thick and there is a gap between my Karma and my Mini III. That's the only downside.

good luck
-Jeff

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 16
I see a lot of folks around here use those "gel" rubber bracelets that have messages on them. Basically just a beefy (and colorful) rubber band. I have a couple laying around I've tried (I think they actually say "Say No to Drugs") and they work fine.

...though I'm sure the the broccoli band is way cooler
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the dual lock stuff that the previous poster mentioned. It's good stuff, and hasn't worn out in 3 years. There is one drawback to it though. When it's bound together, the stuff is pretty thick and there is a gap between my Karma and my Mini III. That's the only downside.

good luck
-Jeff

The dual lock stuff looks quite interesting, mind sharing some pics? for now i only see velcro as the best alternative, mine is an ipod touch, the rubber band will be blocking the way, otherwise the brocolli strap would be cool....
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 16
I've got a Touch too, and haven't found a method I like for it. I was using the dual lock stuff on my Karma. I'm hoping to find a case that I like that will give me a better option than sticking velcro (or equiv) to the back of my ipod.

Though I've already scracthed the hell out of it when it fell out of my shirt pocket, and went sledding down my driveway. Just glad it wasn't on the screen side.

-Jeff

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:

good luck
-Jeff

Apparently you can get the low profile kind.  I was gonna make a new thread, but looks like someone beat me to it!  There's a guy who made a good Youtube tutorial and blog:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/3m-dual-lock-and-attaching-your-player-portable-headphone-amp-page-2

This will be perfect for me attaching my E17 portable amp/dac to......my iPod video,     PSP,   maybe iPad--so I can use the 3" LOD cable and just velcro the amp when I'm using it to the back/bottom of the iPad.....  maybe even laptop!  The back of the screen....       and it'll be so easy to just switch between devices.

I was kinda avoiding getting a touch screen ipod/galaxy s device for playing music because the rubber bands to attach the amp to the back would obstruct the screen.  Problem solved :D

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 16

Yep. That's what I use. Works great and looks clean.
Quote:
I tried velcro but it's a pain having to replace it after it gets worn out (after 10 removal/reapplications).

So I put a thin layer of non-skid foam in between my amp and player, then use 2 rubber bands to keep pressure on it. I just need to get some thicker black rubber bands to make it perfect.

There's also this stuff All about 3M Dual Lock

which I've been meaning to try. It's not fiber based so it will last longer. It also comes in a low-profile version which might be best for our use.
The grip is also exceptionally strong, so only a couple 3/16" strips are needed for holding your rig together.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 16
4 year thread necromancer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back