"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
Dec 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #77 of 200
they are harder to make though. the 'dry' type that expand a bit faster also have less density making even a small hole fit well. with the slow expanding materials, a small hole will make the remaining material very dense and even hurt small ear canals. i have to punch quite a bit out with my small hobby holepunch

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #78 of 200
If it's fit well great, this is main point. Everybody should decide himself than
smily_headphones1.gif
For me "wet" one is better.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #81 of 200
I've been considering this too, and maybe I'll give it a shot since I have a fistful of earplugs from work that I don't really need anymore.. But I'm kinda liking the ones that came with my Atrios, they retain the shape so I don't have to squeeze them every time and then hold them in while they enlarge.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #82 of 200
To me, that is the biggest problem with any foam tips. It's especially relevant if you're constantly having to remove your earphones (like if someone needs to speak with you at work, or the phone rings). Those few seconds for foam to expand don't seem like much, but it can become an issue.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #83 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm tempted to try this, just for fun. After all, opportunities to have this much fun tinkering around with something for $5 or so don't come around often.

Oh Yeah!
smily_headphones1.gif
Much fun. Especially surprising feeling of best feat after.
L3000.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #84 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, that is the biggest problem with any foam tips. It's especially relevant if you're constantly having to remove your earphones (like if someone needs to speak with you at work, or the phone rings). Those few seconds for foam to expand don't seem like much, but it can become an issue.

I problem for me as well.
mad.gif
But what to do this is life.
regular_smile .gif
Usually I use PTH for Shures but not much since it's spoiling SQ a bit.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #85 of 200
I had a go on a few earphones. it's quite hard o get it dead centre, but it's cheaper and nearly as good as having the Complys.

the only thing is, i didn't cut away the tip entrance, like you see here, so the tips almost close up after a few hours.

11.jpg

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #86 of 200
Do these fall of easily though? you know how many IEM's have that little niche in the tip area, to lock the tip into place.

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #89 of 200
FYI there was a previous threads on DIY tips:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hom...s-iems-169789/

I made some from some Flents plugs - they worked well, although I did have trouble getting the hole to be centered.

If you want to try a bunch of different plugs to find the ones that fit you best, these guys sell assortment packs of different brands:
Foam Ear Plug Trial Packs<br><font size="2">Choose from three different packs! Find the best foam ear plugs for your application.</font> - Foam Ear Plugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back