How to add excitement to current (6XX) rig?
Jan 4, 2022 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

superultramega

New Head-Fier
I really do like my 6xx's but with some music (metal/rap) I want a little more speed or dynamism. I'm considering three different approaches and would like input on what the community thinks of each.

1) Beyer DT990 600-Ohm. Least expensive option but I believe I am treble sensitive. I couldn't handle Senn 800 when I heard them 5 years ago.
2) A physical EQ component to scoop the sound of my 6xx's. Likely Schiit Lokius as it's the same footprint as my other gear. Not sure this will increase the speed or punch of the bass though.
3) Hifiman Ananda and Schiit Asgard. This is the full nuclear option.

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 26
1) Treble might still bother you
2) Yes....but it will still sound "intimate". Some music benefits from a wider stage.
3) Never heard the Ananda, but when I was in the same boat as you with my HD650, getting a Planar worked
better for me for Rap/Techno/House. Got that speed and extension back in my music.

Jan 4, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 26
Before going for the Lokius, why not try some EQ from your player or computer first. I use EQMac2 on my Mac: https://eqmac2.en.softonic.com/mac . (It's different from eqmac, though that also has a free tier). I'm sure there are equivalent free EQs for PC. Maybe a tweak will be all you need.

Also, Grado + guitars is special indeed. But they may not have the floor-shaking bass of some hip-hop.

Jan 4, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 26
Thanks all.

Those Grado's sound fun, curious about their bass response. The FR graph shows a fast drop below 80Hz.

I also use a Mac, I'll give it a tweak! Long term I'd like the tactile experience but this could be very helpful to test the 6xx's.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 26
Before going for the Lokius, why not try some EQ from your player or computer first. I use EQMac2 on my Mac: https://eqmac2.en.softonic.com/mac . (It's different from eqmac, though that also has a free tier). I'm sure there are equivalent free EQs for PC. Maybe a tweak will be all you need.

Also, Grado + guitars is special indeed. But they may not have the floor-shaking bass of some hip-hop.
Starting playing around with EQMac. Got that U-shape going and getting excited about Pelican right now!

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 26
I really do like my 6xx's but with some music (metal/rap) I want a little more speed or dynamism. I'm considering three different approaches and would like input on what the community thinks of each.

1) Beyer DT990 600-Ohm. Least expensive option but I believe I am treble sensitive. I couldn't handle Senn 800 when I heard them 5 years ago.
2) A physical EQ component to scoop the sound of my 6xx's. Likely Schiit Lokius as it's the same footprint as my other gear. Not sure this will increase the speed or punch of the bass though.

As much as I like the HD6xx series and don't find the "excitement" lacking since I listen to it at night with a very low noise floor driven by an amp with a very low noise floor (Meier Cantate.2), after over a decade with it, my impressions, other people's plus Head-Fi etc, I've learned at this point that if anyone is looking for "excitement" out of these I might as well just say "Grado RS1."

Sooooo...yeah. Grado RS1. Unless your rap has bass like Lil Jon, in which case I'd suggest Superlux HD660.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 26
As much as I like the HD6xx series and don't find the "excitement" lacking since I listen to it at night with a very low noise floor driven by an amp with a very low noise floor (Meier Cantate.2), after over a decade with it, my impressions, other people's plus Head-Fi etc, I've learned at this point that if anyone is looking for "excitement" out of these I might as well just say "Grado RS1."

Sooooo...yeah. Grado RS1. Unless your rap has bass like Lil Jon, in which case I'd suggest Superlux HD660.
Well at low level volumes sometimes it’s nice to have a Loudness button or to slightly boost the low and high frequencies. It’s quite fun with the 6xx…

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 26
Well at low level volumes sometimes it’s nice to have a Loudness button or to slightly boost the low and high frequencies. It’s quite fun with the 6xx…

If you just mean that and not the ultra syrupy foot tappingly magical Grado juice you can do that for free.

If you're using Windows just download Equalizer APO and then input these corrections.
25hz = +5dB
40hz = +4dB
63hz = +3dB
4000hz = +3dB
6300hz = +3dB

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 26

OTL tube amps are the hot ticket for 300 ohm Sennheisers, as @wideload mentioned. But, 600/650/6XX are not about speed or dynamism. They're about tonality and musicality.

I don't listen to the genres you do, but if you want a more dynamic, punchy, impactful sound then consider the LCD-2C. I have not read a single negative post anywhere about these cans and personally I think they're a great all-around headphone for a fair price that do most kinds of music well. I wouldn't recommend them for big-room classical/orchestral, but I think they have few weak spots at the price point.

There is a gigantic thread here on the best cans for metal. You could spend a few months going over that :D

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/

Edit: I should also add, if you can find a pair of Fostex TR-X00 (massdrop) I think they might be a good choice also. It's probably the fastest set of headphones anywhere near the price. Very impactful and fun. Downside is a V-signature, the vocals are somewhat subdued and it has to be considered if that bothers you. Although there is a significant V, the treble is not at all harsh on these. I find them superb on Latin music or anything where percussion is present. For most of the music I listen to, I need to EQ them or I don't like listening to them. But because of the speed and fun factor (liveliness) these are very popular with a lot of people.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 26
OTL tube amps are the hot ticket for 300 ohm Sennheisers, as @wideload mentioned. But, 600/650/6XX are not about speed or dynamism. They're about tonality and musicality.

I don't listen to the genres you do, but if you want a more dynamic, punchy, impactful sound then consider the LCD-2C. I have not read a single negative post anywhere about these cans and personally I think they're a great all-around headphone for a fair price that do most kinds of music well. I wouldn't recommend them for big-room classical/orchestral, but I think they have few weak spots at the price point.

There is a gigantic thread here on the best cans for metal. You could spend a few months going over that :D

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/

Edit: I should also add, if you can find a pair of Fostex TR-X00 (massdrop) I think they might be a good choice also. It's probably the fastest set of headphones anywhere near the price. Very impactful and fun. Downside is a V-signature, the vocals are somewhat subdued and it has to be considered if that bothers you. Although there is a significant V, the treble is not at all harsh on these. I find them superb on Latin music or anything where percussion is present. For most of the music I listen to, I need to EQ them or I don't like listening to them. But because of the speed and fun factor (liveliness) these are very popular with a lot of people.

Yep I'm using an OTL (Valhalla 2). I'd like a planar set but that would require an additional amp, mentioned in option 3 of my original post. For now I'm using EQMac which is fun. I was ready to buy the Beyer 990/600 but the price went from $179 to $209 in the last week. Annoying...I'll look into the Fostex.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 26
Yep I'm using an OTL (Valhalla 2). I'd like a planar set but that would require an additional amp, mentioned in option 3 of my original post. For now I'm using EQMac which is fun. I was ready to buy the Beyer 990/600 but the price went from $179 to $209 in the last week. Annoying...I'll look into the Fostex.
I'm not so sure the Fostex will be happy out of a Valhalla 2. I have one but I never thought to try it since they need very little amp, I run them right off my RME or Brooklyn. What DAC are you using?

@bcowen is there any tube rolling he could do for his Valhalla 2 to help with the kind of music he likes out of an HD 6XX?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 26
I'm not so sure the Fostex will be happy out of a Valhalla 2. I have one but I never thought to try it since they need very little amp, I run them right off my RME or Brooklyn. What DAC are you using?

@bcowen is there any tube rolling he could do for his Valhalla 2 to help with the kind of music he likes out of an HD 6XX?
Schiit Mobius for DAC

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 26
Even though they shouldn’t (being 32 Ohm), the Grados work well out of an OTL amp. Maybe it’s due to their high sensitivity and controlled bass (I use either 325is or highly-modded 225i with my OTL). Grados are something of a standard recommendation for metal.

I agree about the Fostex: they are likely to sound rather bass-heavy and slow on the end of the Valhalla. They really need a solid-state amp to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back