How should a pair of cutoms feel?
May 26, 2011 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tonsofquestions

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker here, decided to finally break down and get a pair of customs. They just arrived, and they sound great, but I think something feels off. How are they supposed to fit? Everyone I read says that they don't even feel like they're there, but I can tell. On the other hand, all that I have to compare it to is regular IEMs - foam, flanges and olives, and it doesn't quite feel like any of those, either.

Fortunately there's a fit guarantee. I know I should give them a few more days to see what I think then, and I will. But what should I be feeling, and how do I (figure out and) describe what's wrong?

May 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 12
Your ears need time to get used to the customs as it is with all IEMs. Give it regular use for a few more days and see if you feel actual discomfort/pain. Don't expect it to disappear in your ears the moment you get it, custom-fit it may be.

May 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 12
It would Defi logic if you couldn't feel them in there, If your trying to focus on them being in there you will feel them, Try going for a walk and try forget about them being in your ears, If you can feel ache and pain then the Fit is then off.

Put your finger on your arm for 30 seconds and read the forum, Your finger will disappear because it's not your main focus of chain of thought , Now think of your Arm and you will feel the finger on your Arm again, Don't focus on the finger again and it will disappear, Same thing goes for IEM's.

Nat.

May 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 12
They're somewhat akward at first but you'll get used to them in a few days. If you feel any pain or achyness after a short period of time send them in for adjustment.

I suspect "don't even know they're there" is a subjective experience, I'm fully aware of their presence at every moment although I feel no pain. I find it interesting people talk of of non-custom IEM's as being "intrusive", My JH-5 pro's are every bit as intrusive as any IEM I've ever owned. If I had to do it all over again I would have picked up some SE530's to be honest.

May 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 12
If there's pain occuring with long time use, its a bad fit. If you are able to moce the IEM inside your ears freely and hear definate sound loss, the fit is bad. With my Unique Melody, i can still feel its there but its a very snug and comfortable fit. I just recently improved the fit because ive had mine for about 2 years and noticed my ears changed a bit so i got some clear nail polish (an amazing tip from an IEM Profession friend) and applied generous amounts. Feels like new now. Try opening and closing your mouth then, if it moves out of place during opening and closing, maybe the fit is bad?

May 28, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the responses.

natashaful - You're right that the brain is pretty amazing at filtering things out, but I'm also not sure I'd agree. You can get used to some pretty crazy things. After having some dental work, you can get past the pain by the right combination of games/music/tv/books/your favorite activity, but that doesn't mean there something still bleeding.

The fit between the ears is different, the one is kind of overfull and bloated, as if I've put something a little too big into a hole of the right shape. (Yes, I realize how that sounds, note how I'm not going there - you shouldn't either.) The other feels more like I was expecting, still with mostly a good seal, though what I think might be a slightly looser spot in one section. Trying the sensaphonics seal tests (http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833) indicates everything's good, though clearly the one that's tighter has a stronger seal.

I'm also not sure what kinds of activities I should be able to do with them - should eating be possible with complete comfort? Again, the tighter one makes this borderline uncomfortable, because of the changes in canal size. But it's why I ask, since I don't know which fit is more "proper".

As far as pain goes, these don't really have any, except when I try to remove the monitors. For now I'm going to chalk it up to needing more practice (and a narrow ear canal), since inserting them feels fine. I think I just need to twist them farther, but it's unfortunately difficult to get a good grip on them to turn. The couple of times that were best were when I (accidentally) pressed on the cable plug and got maximum torque, but I'm guessing I probably shouldn't be doing that. :frowning2:

On the other hand, I have discovered that if I move my facial muscles in certain ways (that I didn't even know I did), I do experience some discomfort in the upper portion of my ear canal, almost as if it's trying to flatten, but instead something else is pressing into it... I wonder what that could be?

Isolation is not quite what I had expected, either. Some things I can't hear at all - cars while walking on the street (other than that guy in a Harley who altered his muffler), people talking to me, etc. And yet there are others that I wouldn't expect to hear, but I still do - the elevator beeping as it passes each floor, and the door opening, a biker ringing his bell at some (other) pedestrians. I'm not sure if it's just not what I'd imagined, something isn't right, or my hearing is just too good.

The final strange thing that I've been noticing happens much later on. Removing the monitors feels odd, with the sudden onrush of air and increased sensitivity to all the new sounds. But that's expected. Then everything feels normal for a while. Several hours later, I suddenly have this wierd feeling in my ears. I'm not even sure how to describe it. It's kind of like a cross between feeling like something should be in my ear, but is missing, and that a phantom earpiece is in my ear, though neither really does it justice, as it's kind of achy at the same time. It lasts for a few hours - I haven't timed it - and concentrating on other things makes it fade, but it does come back, without my thinking about it.

I'm not sure if it's muscles in my ear canal releasing some built-up tension (or the other way), or my body telling me that it just wants to listen to more tunes. But I've never experienced it before with any of the other IEMs tips I've used - foam, olives, or flanges. It's pretty odd, and kind of creeps me out. Has anyone else ever experienced this before?

Bah, that was probably too long. Thanks for reading this far!

May 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 12
you have some strange ears xD for sound isolation, my customs don't do a great job at it. even with a good seal, probs 55% of sound gets in. i don't know how to comment about the weird feeling in your ears when you take the customs out... if its still bothering you, just send them back for a refit?

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks, planx, that bit about isolation makes me feel better. Some comments in reviews made me wonder -  one I'd read, here said he couldn't hear the subway screeching through his customs. I had a chance to ride on the subway recently, and while I'm sure it wasn't the same one, I definitely heard it. Perhaps he was blaring his music more. Out of curiosity, how would you rate the seal on your shures, in comparison to that 55%?

As for the feeling, I'm going to chalk it up to "tissue ache" as described here, though not too clearly. I'm guessing the pressure from the parts that are slightly off is bothering me after it settles. I'll definitely send them in for a refit, I just plan on letting them settle in a bit more.

Interestingly, the ear that seemed a bit overfull has gotten used to it, and now it's the other one that feels a bit off, though I think that's more due some seal breakage when I move my mouth incertain ways.

One final question, then - are there any tips for how to determine where exactly the trouble spots are, or describe it when sending back?

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 12
the best way to describe my isolation is when someone's talking to me with my customs on, i can hear what he/she is saying, but i can't interpret it all sometimes. i can hear people, just not enough to fully understand. hope that helps lol. i never had troubles with my customs so i can't really help you there :frowning2:
just tell them approx where the trouble is..

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 12
Yes, it does. Thanks!
Out of curiosity, how does the isolation compare to your Etys? I once bought a cheap pair of phones with tri-flanges to see if I'd like them, but never got them to fit properly. But I've heard the isolation is amazing, and can't help but wonder how it compares to the customs, which I had always expected to be more. 

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Etys isolate much more. its the next best thing to having actual custom silicone earplugs i think. i'm guessing the isolation varies between the Companies. Some companies use silicone inside the housing like Starkey, and UE, JH, and others use the plasticy material. My UM is made of German UV material, whatever that is =D All that matters is my customs isolate sound "enough".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back