How Power hungry are the Grado 325i's?
Feb 12, 2009 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

VinyLn00b

New Head-Fier
I'm seriously considering buying the 325i's for use with my Bellari 130 phono preamp with built in headphone amp and controls MUSICDIRECT - BELLARI - VP130 TUBE PHONO PREAMP. I don't really know anything about powering headphones but I just want to make sure that this amp is powerful enough to get a good sound of the Grados. From what I have been seeing, the 325i's do not really require a ton of power so I'm hoping they'll go well together. Thanks for your help.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by VinyLn00b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm seriously considering buying the 325i's for use with my Bellari 130 phono preamp with built in headphone amp and controls MUSICDIRECT - BELLARI - VP130 TUBE PHONO PREAMP. I don't really know anything about powering headphones but I just want to make sure that this amp is powerful enough to get a good sound of the Grados. From what I have been seeing, the 325i's do not really require a ton of power so I'm hoping they'll go well together. Thanks for your help.

You've got more than enough power there. The 325is are adequately powered by an iPod, let alone any built in headphone amp.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 34
325is are very sensitive (IE slightly more sensitive than SR80s in my experience)- but require a bit of juice to get adequate bass and dynamics. You should certainly be very well set, but a gain switch with a "low" setting might be nice if you listen at low volume.

EDIT: and if you like high volumes than it shouldn't matter at all!
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados reportedly need a surprising amount of juice for their low impedance, but if you have a headphone amp you should be fine.

You don't need any amp whatsoever. They drive fine from any reasonable source.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 34
Yes they do. My 325is sound wonderful straight from the iphone. In fact I don't notice that much difference with an amp.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using RS-1 with iriver h140, seems capable enough. I will upgrade but can't figure which one.

If you're dedicated to the RS1, try an RA1. It won't work particularly well with other headphones, but it does things with the RS1 that far more expensive amps don't. Bass extension for one, better imaging for two.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 34
I am not sure what these people are talking about, saying that there is no need for an amp coming directly out of the iphone. I have done compares and contrasts with and without amps with my iphone + sr325i. Amp it, definitely. There is not just a difference, but a big difference.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #12 of 34
Yeah grado's are easier to drive compared to other phones, but still they can improve ALOT from a good amp. They are however VERY picky on what amps they like and what amps they don't.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 34
I don't think anyone has said that they won't get better with a nice amp, only that they sound wonderful un-amped. My cheap amp makes no significant difference.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 34
They sound good unamped, they sound wonderfull properly amped
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back