How Power hungry are the Grado 325i's?
Feb 13, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're dedicated to the RS1, try an RA1. It won't work particularly well with other headphones, but it does things with the RS1 that far more expensive amps don't. Bass extension for one, better imaging for two.

Finally someone giving advice thanks. I'm also going to be usiing UE TF 10 Pro. Although I know the RA is just a overpriced cmoy.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike6502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need any amp whatsoever. They drive fine from any reasonable source.

Volume doesnt equal being properly driven. Volume is basically just voltage boost. They require quite a bit of current to sound what they are capable off, low impedance headphones driver is more heavy and actually are HARDER TO DRIVE properly than high impedance ones.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally someone giving advice thanks. I'm also going to be usiing UE TF 10 Pro. Although I know the RA is just a overpriced cmoy.

Yes and no. It's a CMOY sure, but no CMOY sounds the way that the RA1 does with Grado headphones, so it's hard to say if it is overpriced or not. Other amps that are particularly good (often mentioned as having synergy) with Grado headphones are:

HeadAmp
Mapletree Ear+HD
Melos
Grace m902

I'm sure there are others that have a particular synergy, and I can only personally comment on how good the Melos (SHA-1 and SHA-Gold) and the Grace sound (they both sound freaking good) and the RA-1 comes incredibly close to both with somehow only a simple CMOY. Truly diminishing returns after it. I'll definitely upgrade at some point (maybe a Grace m902) but for now, it's pretty good as is.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

but no CMOY sounds the way that the RA1 does

Why it would sound any different? Its about the parts afterall. You can build Cmoy from different quality parts (and there are million different cmoy builds around the world) and therefore it will sound different from another cmoy, but its still a cmoy.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why it would sound any different? Its about the parts afterall. You can build Cmoy from different quality parts (and there are million different cmoy builds around the world) and therefore it will sound different from another cmoy, but its still a cmoy.

You ask: Quote:

Why it would sound any different?

Then you answer yourself: Quote:

Its about the parts afterall. You can build Cmoy from different quality parts (and there are million different cmoy builds around the world) and therefore it will sound different from another cmoy, but its still a cmoy.

Good, correct. Note that I said in my full statement (which you pulled one piece from): Quote:

It's a CMOY sure, but no CMOY sounds the way that the RA1 does with Grado headphones, so it's hard to say if it is overpriced or not.

I'm

A. Not sure what the purpose of your post is.
B. Not sure if you're even disputing my statement, in partial or in whole.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

You ask:
Then you answer yourself:

Good, correct. Note that I said in my full statement (which you pulled one piece from):

I'm

A. Not sure what the purpose of your post is.
B. Not sure if you're even disputing my statement, in partial or in whole.

Sorry. That just caught my eye. I just got impression from your post that just because it might have good parts (like we both said, you can build Cmoy from any quality part you want), it will turn it to something excellent. My point was just that a simple design such as cmoy does have its limitations no matter what parts are used. Sonically it might really have good synergy with Grados, but I just understood it that its somehow different from all other cmoys that might have similar parts used, which obviously doesnt make sense.

Forgive me if I understood your point completely wrong.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Sorry. That just caught my eye. I just got impression from your post that just because it might have good parts (like we both said, you can build Cmoy from any quality part you want), it will turn it to something excellent. My point was just that a simple design such as cmoy does have its limitations no matter what parts are used. Sonically it might really have good synergy with Grados, but I just understood it that its somehow different from all other cmoys that might have similar parts used, which obviously doesnt make sense.

Forgive me if I understood your point completely wrong.

The RA-1 is the RA-1. I'm not saying it isn't a CMOY, it is. If you see value in it because you've heard it then fine.

However if you don't see value in it because you can't get over its construction, then you're listening with something other than your ears. That too is fine, because it doesn't impact me. I'm only offering advice about good amps to go with Grados in this thread.

For future reference, I'm always going to be pissed at someone if they feel they can take one part of my post out of context and reply to a snippet of a statement. Quote the whole thing or don't bother.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

part of my post out of context and reply to a snippet of a statement. Quote the

I disagree
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree
tongue.gif

THAT'S IT, IT'S PAIN TIME

Uh, where do you live? I want to deliver a... um... pizza!

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

The RA-1 is the RA-1. I'm not saying it isn't a CMOY, it is. If you see value in it because you've heard it then fine.

However if you don't see value in it because you can't get over its construction, then you're listening with something other than your ears. That too is fine, because it doesn't impact me. I'm only offering advice about good amps to go with Grados in this thread.

For future reference, I'm always going to be pissed at someone if they feel they can take one part of my post out of context and reply to a snippet of a statement. Quote the whole thing or don't bother.

Umm... Honestly, I still dont get it how this part is possible...

Quote:

Yes and no. It's a CMOY sure, but no CMOY sounds the way that the RA1 does with Grado headphones

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

THAT'S IT, IT'S PAIN TIME

Uh, where do you live? I want to deliver a... um... pizza!

biggrin.gif
You are very welcome to visit any time m8, I'l have some Heinekens ready.

Quote:

Umm... Honestly, I still dont get it how this part is possible...

Well AFAIK there aren't ever made any clones that actually sound like the RA1. If you do know one you can pm me, because I think I have sponsored Grado enough with my GS1000, RS1 and 325i purchases.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Well AFAIK there aren't ever made any clones that actually sound like the RA1.

Well, I do remember that there was quite an uproar about RA1 clones back then, so... If you build two amps of same circuit and same parts and just hit different labels on it, then how it could sound different, if you follow me.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #28 of 34
True, but that was more about the names, stating they were RA1 clones, but not about that they actually did sound the same.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #29 of 34
Ah, I see. But then again, why they did not sound the same? How they differed from original RA1? Thats what bothers me now.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 34
Well, all I can say is that the 325is sound great unamped. I have also heard from more than one person that a cheap amp does not noticeably affect the sound. I don't disbelieve that an amp could improve things on a low impedance phone, but I am very curious to know scientifically how it does so from someone knowledgeable in acoustics and/or physics. Unfortunately, I rarely see any scientific talk on this forum. Sadly, on issues like burn-in, scientific explanation, or talk regarding a lack of it, is... how do I put it... aggressively ignored by many.

Oh, and not to add fuel to the flame, but if you're unconvinced the RA-1 is ridiculously overpriced, look here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back