How Old Are Your Phones? Do You Use A Vintage Set?
Dec 6, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 132
Stax Lambda Pros
lambda.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 132
I had a vintage MS-Pro without any serial number and very dark wood cans.

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 132
My oldest are the Sennheiser hd414, the origianl version of that part number purchased around 1974, I don't really use them anymore.

The oldest pair that I still use are the Sony V6's, they are a little over twenty years old.

- augustwest

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 132
I'm fairly new to the hobby. I have a pair of Senn eh2200's that I bought before I knew better.....a pair off 120ohm Snn HD595's (what's that like 2-3 years old), and AKG K81DJ and a 2005 dt990. All of mine are fairly new. I'd be interested in hearing a K1000, but I'm afraid I'll like it!

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 132
The oldest set of cans that I currently own is a pair of Sony DR-S100 Boodo Kahn headphones that came with my Sony Boodo Kahn walkman back in 1986. I don't currently use them as they sound like crap. Other vintage cans (circa 1987 or 1988) that I own and are in my current headphone rotation are: Sony MDR-CD850, MRD-CD950, and MDR-CD1000.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #24 of 132
umm I have some Koss Sp3-x (?) i think that date to the early 60's, but I wouldn't use them for day to day use., Not now I have K340's...

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #25 of 132
Stax SR-3N, circa 1970 I think.
sr3-800.jpg

And obviously, my beloved Jecklin Floats, also from the 70s I think. Although they made them for a very long time.

fuglyphones-lol.jpg

I have owned many other vintage headphones. The Jecklin Float 2 is still far and away the best dynamic one Ive heard, including the K340.

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 132
I use a pair of Stax SR-Lambda Pro, which seems to be produce early 1988.
Meaning they are 18 years old.

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 132
I used to listen to "short wave" on my Dads' Hallicrafters' ham rig in the late 40s. It had bakelite housings, a cord thick as a small garden hose, and a plug that was bigger than my big toe.

....I heard a lot of static and whistling, a lot. But I think it was the source.

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #28 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax SR-3N, circa 1970 I think.
sr3-800.jpg

And obviously, my beloved Jecklin Floats, also from the 70s I think. Although they made them for a very long time.

fuglyphones-lol.jpg

I have owned many other vintage headphones. The Jecklin Float 2 is still far and away the best dynamic one Ive heard, including the K340.

I once owned 2 pairs of the Float electrostatic, which I believe were even older than the dynamics. Unfortunately they did no hold up as well as the Stax, and both sets had serious operating problems when I sold them for a negligible sum.

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I nearly spit out my coffee laughing at that. (sorry everybody, inside joke about translating into German)

It was a tweeter joke. I think. Akbar Hail's famous Hair Motion Transfarben. Right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitopanch
I have a Burwen Orthodynamic PMB 8 (bought in 1980 new). My wife uses the Yamaha Orthodynamic HP-1. My daugther uses the Yamaha Orthodynamic HP-3.

Good grief! It's a Yamafamiglia!

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I'll let you know if I spot anything interesting.

[anticipatory frisson, in German]

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once owned 2 pairs of the Float electrostatic, which I believe were even older than the dynamics. Unfortunately they did no hold up as well as the Stax, and both sets had serious operating problems when I sold them for a negligible sum.

This does seem to be a common problem with the float electrostatics. Both the headphones themselves and the energiser boxs seem prone to failure over time. All of the working sets which go on ebay go for far more than their sonic value if the few reports on that sound signiture which are availible are to be believed. I would pay good money for a working pair, but not crazy money.

It might also be possible to have a faulty pair repaired by a company like onethingaudio, or even Quad, if you put up enough money for such a thing.

Basically, its all about the money, if youre prepared to spend it, then you can make things work.

Id still love to hear a pair of float electrostatics more than any other headphone, including the omega and the he90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back