How often do you guys upgrade/buy new headphones?
Oct 25, 2008 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

chews89

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I was thinking, how often do head-fiers really upgrade their headphones or just simply get another pair(not necessarily better than their old pairs)?

Because I'm quite new to the headphone scene and i got my es7s in July, i was curious about what open headphones sounded like so i got a pair of AD500s in September which were on special, recently bought the famous cheap Fiio amp, and finally a pair of JVC Marshmallows and Panasonic RP-HTX7s are on the way
smily_headphones1.gif

But yea, just wondering if it seems a lot..since it kinda does seem that way to me and i feel that i've spent too much money too fast! haha (for my standards anyway since some people may say they just spent $500 on a pair of senn650s or something)

So yea..just my thoughts. Any comments?

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 41
Since July 2006 I have bought nine (9) Stax and one (1) AKG headphones.
Meaning that I in average have bough a new pair every second month or so.

As long as you can afford it I don't see the problem...
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 41
I bought several dozen headphones last year. This year I mostly just sold headphones. Now I only have four pairs, three for music and one for gaming.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 41
A part of this hobby is to try out different phones and sound signature. Since a lot of us don't have access to these phones, meetings, dealers, and such, we tend to buy the phones we are most interested in. Then eventually sell off those we don't like or want to keep.

Hence why I bought ten phones, and sold off so that I now am down to four.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 41
As soon as someone on here mentions something interesting, I can't resist the temptation to listen for myself. I'm rich. ;-0

All part of the learning process but I still blame Headfi for the effect on my wallet.

Ian

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 41
Oh gee, I should check my watch...uh...I gotta go buy another pair of headphones! It's been 10 minutes since I bought my last pair.

Some of us buy headphones whenver the spirit moves us. Others when we come across a good deal and are tempted. Sometimes when we become bored with our current headphones. Some of us go out drinking and when we wake up the next morning we discover that we are wearing a pair of new or gently used headphones. It's just the damnedest thing. Really.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A part of this hobby is to try out different phones and sound signature. Since a lot of us don't have access to these phones, meetings, dealers, and such, we tend to buy the phones we are most interested in. Then eventually sell off those we don't like or want to keep.

Hence why I bought ten phones, and sold off so that I now am down to four.

Same here.
Since March 2008 I bought 13 headphones to try them out.
It's a sort of trial and error.
In the end I kept two headphones, and I'm done now (I hope....).
Sold the other ones.
Of course I got losses, but I see that as a rental fee.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrade?

Aren't we supposed to build a collection?

Yes i do understand how people like to "collect" headphones, i guess you could call it a hobby right?

But if you have so many headphones, i'm sure some of them are bound to get very little head-time. Like i've heard people have a pair for gaming, a pair for music, a pair of commuting etc. But what if you have like 5 pairs for music? haha what do u do then with that many headphones? Would you be like " Oh, today i feel like my HD600, ill listen to my K701s tomorrow and maybe my DT880s on thursday" lol or are people like "OK, i feel like some jimmi hendrix, lets take out the grados" and then when the song changes to mozart "uh oh, gotta swap to my ATHs" "oh HIP HOP! where are my beyers?". i don't mean to offend/mock anyone(dont think anyone will be anyway) I'm just curious
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 41
haha compared to all you guys, i guess my headphone-buying-rate isn't so drastic after all.

I have a feeling a large proportion of head-fiers work full time hence being able to afford the high end stuff. Anyone else reckon so too? I guess i'll have to wait till i finish uni and see if i'm still into headphones by then :p

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 41
Well, the first and last headphone I bought was a Grado SR60 10yrs ago. The foam disintegrated from storage and lack of use. I just listen all the time now to my IEMS, ER4S&P. I'm contemplating on a Denon D5K but to be honest, it is at the bottom of my upgrade list.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #15 of 41
About 18 mos. Etys, AKG, Grado. In about a year I'll target something. Maybe a bit longer and go for a stat. I need a better source first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back