How often do you guys upgrade/buy new headphones?
Oct 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #31 of 41
after every meet
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #32 of 41
Headphones i ever owned:
Shure E2c (x2), Etymotic Er6i, Ultrasone Pro 750 (in the past 3 years)

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guess I could say, every month, or every few months, depending on my fancy

auditions have entirely saved me time or money (I own three pairs of headphones, only one of which I bought just to try, and ended up loving, I've auditioned probably closer to 20 pairs of headphones, own two from that lot, see the advantage?)

granted, auditions are hard to do sometimes, and you generally can't sample anywhere near the range of stuff thats available online

Auditions in stores, may not tell the whole truth. Theres the burn-in issue, and maybe the gear they play on, is not optimal.
My GS1000 are great, but if I should have decided wheather to buy them, or not, from how they sounded when they where new, I would newer have bought them. So I just took a chance, based on other head-fiers experience with them. Fortunally it turned out great.
But most gear that I buy in blind faith gets sold again with a loss, and since it is a hobby, it´s okay with me
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calypso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auditions in stores, may not tell the whole truth. Theres the burn-in issue, and maybe the gear they play on, is not optimal.
My GS1000 are great, but if I should have decided wheather to buy them, or not, from how they sounded when they where new, I would newer have bought them. So I just took a chance, based on other head-fiers experience with them. Fortunally it turned out great.
But most gear that I buy in blind faith gets sold again with a loss, and since it is a hobby, it´s okay with me
wink.gif

ok, should probably say proper auditions at a hi-fi shop

when I went to audition between GS1000's, SR-325i's, D2000's, and HD-595's, the dealer had a McIntosh CD transport -> McIntosh D/A -> McIntosh valve pre-amp, as well as the Mc solidstate mono blocks (into a beautiful pair of Guarneri Memento's), so in that situation, the conditions were pretty optimal to make a decision, granted, a B-52 or Beta22 and some other stuff would kill that setup, but considering this isn't a headphone only dealer, what are you gonna do?
triportsad.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #35 of 41
As long as there is a valid practical "excuse" to get one and that funds are available whilst i'm still considering them
wink.gif

- a closed pair for cold days
- an open pair for warm days
- iems for EDC
- portable/foldable ones for trips

I usually "redirect" funds from other things of greater importance to buy them, such as the well overdue(say, 2 years?) pc upgrade...

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #40 of 41
Different cans for different moods, genres of music, or a different sound. Closed for isolation. They are all different and wonderful and addicting.

Sure, I"ve changed cans from one song to the next, or listened to the same piece or album with a different can for a different perspective. They all bring their unique sound and I love the different presentations.

I'm newer and have probably averaged a purchase a month if we include IEMs and don't include amps. My budget is screaming for a recession in purchasing and I think this will slow down. I seem to keep more cans than I sell.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #41 of 41
I probably buy a new pair once a year, being a kid sort of hinders my burning desires to try new things. I might try and get to a London meet or something next time i hear of one though, so i can really set straight which i want to hear more from myself, rather than going on things people say on the forums entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back