How NOT to get robbed
Mar 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #62 of 113
Double post...

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #63 of 113
Mar 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #64 of 113

Quote:
Usually the most reasonable thing is to toss the cash at them and run in the opposite direction.

but who actually uses cash?

i never have any mare than about a tenner on me, as you just get stuck with pointless bit of metal.  not sure i know anyone bar my parents that actually use paper money

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #65 of 113
Quote:
but who actually uses cash?
i never have any mare than about a tenner on me, as you just get stuck with pointless bit of metal.  not sure i know anyone bar my parents that actually use paper money

I'm not a fan of a paper trail and generally prefer cash, especially when going out - taxi, cover charge, drinks, etc; which generally leaves me having a couple of bills at any given moment.  Same thing for minor expenses and meals - especially when not alone; if you're splitting the bill, it's easy to do so.  For most "regular" expenses, of course it's credit card - groceries, fuel, household, or similar.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #66 of 113
i just debit card everything, including any taxi's or drink or meals out.

the only thing i cant are the local buses but i buy a monthly pass for them anyway. so any time im ever given cash i actually just end up having to take it to a bank to get rid of it and turn it into a usable form for me

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #67 of 113
I use cash + credit card only. I don't remember the last time I've used debit.
Cash is usually the fastest, credit card second, debit the slowest.

Just my cents
rolleyes.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #68 of 113

Quote:
I'm not a fan of a paper trail and generally prefer cash, especially when going out - taxi, cover charge, drinks, etc; which generally leaves me having a couple of bills at any given moment.  Same thing for minor expenses and meals - especially when not alone; if you're splitting the bill, it's easy to do so.  For most "regular" expenses, of course it's credit card - groceries, fuel, household, or similar.

Same here. "Plastic" makes it nearly impossible to pay a friend, lend money, etc. If you ever get into a jam, cash is always more flexible. The only time I use my credit card is for online purchases.

Just my opinion. YMMV
cool.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #69 of 113
I prefer cash as well. For me, the only use cards have is for ordering things online. Also, I find it easier to be an irresponsible spender with cards. Forking over a few hundred dollars in cash seems like you're losing more than when all you do is swipe a piece of plastic and enter your PIN.

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #70 of 113

Quote:
Same here. "Plastic" makes it nearly impossible to pay a friend, lend money, etc. If you ever get into a jam, cash is always more flexible. The only time I use my credit card is for online purchases.

Just my opinion. YMMV
cool.gif

i dissagree, if you want to lend money just BACS it across to their account.  splitting bills too i do all the time, you just tell them you want x amount on this card and x on this or whatever.  i really dont see how cash is more flexible, cards are for more so.  say you loose your wallet, with cash its gone with card you are inconvenienced a day or so till you get a new one.  soy you see some unexpected bargain with card you just pay there and then with cash you have to figure out where a cash machine is or just carry more of those bits of paper around.

with cards i can keep track of basically every penny i spend effortlessly

maybe its a cultural thing but i dont know anyone that prefers cash here bar the elderly, and in the context of the thread if everyone was only ever carrying cards then there would be little point in mugging people

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #71 of 113

Quote:
i dissagree, if you want to lend money just BACS it across to their account.  splitting bills too i do all the time, you just tell them you want x amount on this card and x on this or whatever.  i really dont see how cash is more flexible, cards are for more so.  say you loose your wallet, with cash its gone with card you are inconvenienced a day or so till you get a new one.  soy you see some unexpected bargain with card you just pay there and then with cash you have to figure out where a cash machine is or just carry more of those bits of paper around.

with cards i can keep track of basically every penny i spend effortlessly

maybe its a cultural thing but i dont know anyone that prefers cash here bar the elderly, and in the context of the thread if everyone was only ever carrying cards then there would be little point in mugging people

Cash works for me, cards work for you. Everyone's different.

And I don't think it's a cultural thing. Most people in the states prefer cards as well.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #75 of 113
Just wondering, how do lots of pockets prevent a mugging? I can only imagine a situation where the mugger demands money and you reverse a pocket and show him you got no money. But it can be just as easily countered by asking about other pockets ~_~ ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back