how NEUTRAL are the K701s
Mar 15, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
neutral is studio monitor. so K701s are neutral, because they sound more like studio monitors than other headphones. you get to hear sound as the recording engineers intended. yipee!

You know the most popular studio monitors of all time is the JBL 4311, Yamaha NS-10, and Altec 604.....all are far from a flat FRG. In fact most "studio monitor" headphones have an emphasis in the upper mid frequences. And have you listened to all other headphones, on all other systems, on all other loudspeakers, to come to your conclusion that the k701 is the closest to a loudspeaker monitor?? Lastly, do I have to bring up HRTF with you again??

There are various theories about studio monitors....some believe they have to have a flat FR. Others believe that details should be hyperextended so that recording flaws are more evident. Check out the FRs of the three most popular studio monitors, and non of them have a flat FRG
plainface.gif

JBL 4311 (taken from JBL's spec sheet)
4311-3.jpg

Altec 604
604.jpg

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #33 of 39
To the thread starter:

I think the K 701 may be what you're looking for. I'm aware that it isn't for everyone, but comments like «Speed is OK, not as good as the SR225... detail is decent, nothing special...» are about the opposite of how I perceive it. The K 701 has better detail than my electrostats -- believe it or not (well, to my ears after all). And it may be the most neutral and natural headphone around, even though it's of course not perfect in this respect.

I've also heard the K 1000, but haven't had the chance to find an adequate amp for it (as seems to be mandatory) to compensate for its early bass drop-off. Under this premise I found it exceptionally detailed and quite neutral, but it lacked the intimacy I want from a headphone (maybe also due to the missing low bass) -- it sounded like two slightly thin sounding speakers placed in close proximity to my ears. Moreover it was terribly uncomfortable to me.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #34 of 39
I agree with Jazz. Whenever I am reading people's impression on a headphone I always look under their sig or profile to see what setup is the headphone being run through. These are all differences that can turn a good headphone into a potential worthless headphone that others praise.

In fact, I've had this happen to me on several headphones and so has everybody else. I upgraded from dynalo to a M^3 and suddenly my ms2 and ad2000 was sounding fuller and punchier. I may have perceived them as shrill headphones before(ms2 ) but now they are thoroughly enjoyable. It's so easy for people's opinion to change that you really should take their opinion with a grain of salt, or have a good look at their setup and sometimes you can find why they might not like the headphone.

Imo an amp is more important right now than a 701. All these top of the line headphones scale very well BUT you have to start at a decent amp to drive them to at least acceptable performance.

Just my 2 cents and what I've learned since I've joined here. hope everything works out for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhh, I have owned all the headphones you mention and still own K1K and K701. I do kick myself for selling my HP-2 (what was I thinking?), but K701 most definitely does not deserve what you said. It will sound kind of boring and sterile out of the wrong amp (many if not most), but find the right amp, and watch out! K1K and HP-2 are the same way, BTW.

Maybe there's a Magic Amp(tm) which will "wake up" the K701 and transform it into a decent sounding headphone, but I haven't found it yet. I have at my disposal a SE 300B amp for my K1000, a P-P 50 amp for my Grados, and Kevin Gilmore's A Very Different Kind of Hybrid amplifier, none of them changed the basic character of the K701. The 300B's were the best match and made it somewhat decent & listenable, though to me it still fell quite a bit short of the K1000. At this time it's moot point for me anyway since I've recently sold the K701, and hopefully the new owner enjoys it a lot more than I did.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have at my disposal a SE 300B amp for my K1000, a P-P 50 amp for my Grados, and Kevin Gilmore's A Very Different Kind of Hybrid amplifier,

Interesting, PP 50 amp... Any noise issues with low-imp Grados, and does it have enough power to power K1000?

Push-pull VT52 and 45 would be very cool for me to delve into at some point in the future...

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, PP 50 amp... Any noise issues with low-imp Grados, and does it have enough power to power K1000?

It's dead quite with Grados, though a bit of tube hiss is perceptible with IEM's in a quiet room. It can power the K1000, though only to low listening levels since there's not much gain in the amp.

Quote:

Push-pull VT52 and 45 would be very cool for me to delve into at some point in the future...

It's a very unique sound which is still right out on the fringes. Take the wondrous tone & magic of a SE 2A3 or 300B and add the dynamics & incisiveness of a P-P amp, done right and it's truly the best of both worlds. My P-P 50 amp is basically the first two stages of Lynn Olson's Karna amplifier, with of course an output transformer instead of the interstage and the voltage & current for the 2nd stage optimized for 50's. It's heavy & bulky to say the least, not for small spaces.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #38 of 39
Yes I'd say they are pretty flat across the spectrum. Then again, anything is relatively flat compared to what I'm accustomed to.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #39 of 39
K701 suck comparing to K1
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by televators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the K701s are being recommended even over K1000s???
blink.gif

My wallet is shedding little tears of joy
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back