how NEUTRAL are the K701s
Mar 15, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #16 of 39
I think they're pretty damn neutral, but what do I know?

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by televators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, short of spending $3000 on a Stax setup, or biting the bullet for some K1Ks, I want to make sure that the K701 is right for me.

Nowhere you can go to audition these? What about any potential meet opportunities? Even a mini-meet - if there are any KC owners that wouldn't mind spending a few hours to give you a listen.

[EDIT] If it's any indication, nine times out of ten, folks who come to meets excited to hear the K701 leave disappointed due to their clinical sound and lack of fun. Based on what you're shooting for, I'd say you would probably fall under the 1/10.

As an aside, I don't personally find them clinical and uninvolving at all. A little sterile, perhaps, but the detail retrieval is superb and, in the right mindset, makes for very exciting listening. The K701 has given me more eargasms than any other phone I've owned, including the RS-1.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

I am seriously getting close to going on the ramen diet to get a pair of K1000s
plainface.gif
, but I can't help but think there is something currently available on the market that can get close to (or exceed) the detail and neutrality of K1Ks. Reviews I read often compare the K701 to the K1000 and say they come very close to them in many regards.

For this purchase, musicality is least important... I want truth, speed and detail across all musical genres.

very_evil_smiley.gif
Bring on the recommendations.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Other headphones are welcome as long as they don't exceed the K1000s bloated price.
rolleyes.gif

I have the K1000, the K701 and DT880. To my ears, the discontinued AKG K501 can come the closest to what you are looking for without paying K1000 prices. Truth, speed & detail. About $100 - $110 is the going price. Some folks find the bass a bit muted, but I find that is a nonissue with adequate amplification.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 has given me more eargasms than any other phone I've owned, including the RS-1.

Wow! Now THAT says a lot! Get that man a cigarette!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 39
ever hear a 501? if you like that consider upgrading but the sound is very similiar to the k1000. it gives you a very good idea of what to expect and is far easier on the wallet.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

For this purchase, musicality is least important... I want truth, speed and detail across all musical genres.

The K701 is a good headphone if you don't care about musicality and euphony.

However, it is also not good at "truth," as it is a thin headphone. Many instruments are only partly there, especially lacking in the lower midrange. This also results in the lack of euphony. A false sense of above-average instrument separation is due to the K701's significant lack of euphony and accuracy (lack of accuracy not so significant).

Speed is OK, not as good as the SR225.

Detail is decent, nothing special.

Ultimately, if you want to analyze a flawed rendition of your audio recordings (thinness and lack of accuracy), do not like to enjoy music as music (lack of euphony), and like your music to not have any emotional impact (thinness and lack of euphony), it is recommended. Otherwise, you should probably avoid it.

Personally, the K701 is my favorite headphone I own/have heard (same thing; I buy without trying out first and have not sold any of my headphones), though. I enjoy it even though it is not musical nor accurate. It has some "hi-fi-esque" sheen that isn't there in any of my other headphones. Some people have called that sound "plastic," which is probably accurate, but to me it sounds "real" (probably the sense of "air" I get, even if the instruments themselves are not reproduced fully). But I have to admit its numerous faults because I enjoy trolling those who are attached to a toy that is worthless to the vast majority of people and I need to have something to look forward to when I eventually upgrade to a Hi-Fi headphone. I'll probably troll the Omega IIs if I get them eventually, too. I realize that this behavior is the result of (my own) fear.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, forgot about the treble spike and slightly exaggerated sibilance, along with an inability to properly render cymbals and the like.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 is a good headphone if you don't care about musicality and euphony.

However, it is also not good at "truth," as it is a thin headphone. Many instruments are only partly there, especially lacking in the lower midrange. This also results in the lack of euphony. A false sense of above-average instrument separation is due to the K701's significant lack of euphony and accuracy (lack of accuracy not so significant).

Speed is OK, not as good as the SR225.

Detail is decent, nothing special.

Ultimately, if you want to analyze a flawed rendition of your audio recordings (thinness and lack of accuracy), do not like to enjoy music as music (lack of euphony), and like your music to not have any emotional impact (thinness and lack of euphony), it is recommended. Otherwise, you should probably avoid it.

Personally, the K701 is my favorite headphone I own/have heard (same thing; I buy without trying out first and have not sold any of my headphones), though. I enjoy it even though it is not musical nor accurate. It has some "hi-fi-esque" sheen that isn't there in any of my other headphones. Some people have called that sound "plastic," which is probably accurate, but to me it sounds "real" (probably the sense of "air" I get, even if the instruments themselves are not reproduced fully). But I have to admit its numerous faults because I enjoy trolling those who are attached to a toy that is worthless to the vast majority of people and I need to have something to look forward to when I eventually upgrade to a Hi-Fi headphone. I'll probably troll the Omega IIs if I get them eventually, too. I realize that this behavior is the result of (my own) fear.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, forgot about the treble spike and slightly exaggerated sibilance, along with an inability to properly render cymbals and the like.

Bahahaha! What?!? That was very well put, funny also! The AKG-Good squad has been dispatched to your home! Expect a knock on that door very very soon!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #24 of 39
I'm in complete agreement with ferraro25, the K701 is far from neutral. It's "neutral" only in the sense that it makes everything sound the same, in a bad way, meaning bland, softened and bleached out. By this standard a boombox is "neutral", it makes everything sound equally bad.

If you want real accuracy and neutrality, save your money for the K1000 or a Grado HP-2. Recordings will sound the way they should as opposed to being ground and chopped into a featureless mush by the headphones.

In speaker terms, the K701 reminds me of lower end Dynaudios, everything is mushed into an annoying sameness, everything sounds like crap. The K1000 and HP-2 are like Quad ESL-57's, crap in, crap out, but feed in the good stuff and it sounds like gold.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in complete agreement with ferraro25, the K701 is far from neutral. It's "neutral" only in the sense that it makes everything sound the same, in a bad way, meaning bland, softened and bleached out. By this standard a boombox is "neutral", it makes everything sound equally bad.

If you want real accuracy and neutrality, save your money for the K1000 or a Grado HP-2. Recordings will sound the way they should as opposed to being ground and chopped into a featureless mush by the headphones.

In speaker terms, the K701 reminds me of lower end Dynaudios, everything is mushed into an annoying sameness, everything sounds like crap. The K1000 and HP-2 are like Quad ESL-57's, crap in, crap out, but feed in the good stuff and it sounds like gold.

It is good that someone can tell us the truth, now we know that k701 is a bad low end headphone, and we don't need to go and buy one. I am totaly with you when it comes to the dyns, I have listened to almost everything that Gothenburg has to offer in its priceclass and a bit up and yes you are right they sound like crap.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uhh, I have owned all the headphones you mention and still own K1K and K701. I do kick myself for selling my HP-2 (what was I thinking?), but K701 most definitely does not deserve what you said. It will sound kind of boring and sterile out of the wrong amp (many if not most), but find the right amp, and watch out! K1K and HP-2 are the same way, BTW.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's neutral ? Who set the references ?

Senn fans say K701 is bright. Grado fanatics call it neutral or "Flat".

BTW, if you're cost conscious, the K701 is the way to go in view of the K1000.

biggrin.gif

neutral is studio monitor. so K701s are neutral, because they sound more like studio monitors than other headphones. you get to hear sound as the recording engineers intended. yipee!

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #30 of 39
I agree with those who realize that the k701 are far from accurate. I have yet to hear the k701 accurately portray any single instrument. The k701 are bland, not accurate. There is a certain warmth to the sound of instruments as played by musicians, the k701 do their best to suck every bit of life out of a given performance. If thats what you are looking for, that is what you will find with the k701. I doubt if there is any headphone out there which can accurately portray all possible instruments, there needs to be a certain amount of coloration in order to do this properly (I suspect) and will differ for different types of instruments. When it all comes down the k701 is good at a bit of hi-fi soundstage trickery and not much else... Again, far from accurate even in regards to soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back