How necessary is an amp for Sennheiser 598's?
May 16, 2011 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Plongetz

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, as I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for home use.
So I listen mostly to hard rock, blues, alternative, and some classical, so I've decided upon this pair of Senn's.

I'm trying to not spend over 250$ on gear though, and am wondering how much of a difference a Fiio E7 would make for the can's audio quality (Sources: Ipod Touch 4g and Macbook Pro).

Would an amp be worth it? Or should i choose my other option (Beyerdynamic DT Pro 990's) and get a cheap amp.

P.s. Before anyone says: Grado's!!!, I tried em out, and didn't really like the high end/comfort.

Thanks a ton! 

-Future audiophile

May 16, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 5
I think the HD-598 sounds perfectly fine straight out of my Ipod Touch. Out of a tiny mp3 player such as the Fuze or Nano? Forget it! It might be OK though.

Check out this chart:

275 ohm peak at 100hz.

So to me, the 598 will benefit from some amping, but you don't need to go out and buy a $500 amp for it!

May 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 5
They sound great through my Cowon J3. I just tried it through my Iphone 4 and my heart skipped a beat.

I played this and I fell in love. The Sennheiser HD598 + Iphone 4 = <3   Sounded very spacious and warm. Still better on my home DAC, but somehow the Iphone 4 made my heart skip a beat.

May 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Many thanks to all of you!

I'll best look at the amp as a future upgrade then. 

Ha! To think that, before discovering this forum, I was considering a pair of Studio Beats LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back