How much would a good rig for the HD800 cost?
Aug 11, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$6000? Where did you pull that number from? My Melos need some repair work at the moment, so all I'm using my HD800 with is the Asus STX Essence card and it sounds fantastic. I just set it to the High Gain level and am completely satisfied. If you don't factor in the cost of my computer the card and headphone together cost less than $2000.

I also sold off my L3000 after getting the HD800. Not necessarily because it was "better", I just preferred some of its traits to those of the L3000. You can't label something as definitively better simply because it has a higher resale value on the used market. It's always all about personal taste.

How do you like the bass with the HD800 on the STX? I like very deep high resolution sub bass pumping to my ears. Do you think i can get this with the HD800 and STX?

Sound type I look for:

Good low-end bass response, not to much mid and upperbass, smooth and detailed mid tones, extended treble and a good attack.

(It's mainly for listening Trance music, so that's why pronounced sub-bass is very important to me.)

I also like a very wide, deep sound stage with this music. I'm doubing between the HD800 and Denon AH-D7000.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #32 of 57
From our experience, you can get stunning results even if your budget is modest. You might even find a £1000 CD player plus headphone amp and/or DAC would be a good combination for the HD800, though obviously you'll get more out of them the more you spend.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the bass with the HD800 on the STX? I like very deep high resolution sub bass pumping to my ears. Do you think i can get this with the HD800 and STX?

It sounds like a more bass heavy can will fit you better than the HD800, although it seems like a subwoofer is what you really need.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think the HD800 even with the best amplification is what you're looking for. It is a very balanced headphone, and you're looking for something with a pronounced bass emphasis.

Straight out of a sound card, you'll be very disappointed.

I'd wager you'd prefer the Ultrasone Edition 9 to either the Denon or the Senn.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #35 of 57
$6000 sounds about right, if you're getting used stuff. If you're getting all new stuff, $11000 is probably more like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #37 of 57
my rig will cost about 23k when finished. of course you don't need to spend nearly that much to make them sound good but audio is my passion. i have spent a lot on cables that any rational person probably wouldn't do.

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What music goes well with the HD 800? I listen to all types of music. Rock, pop, dance, trance, techno, rap, r&b, jazz, no country tho lol

All of them. Country, too.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...This works for me....what is better?

You've just answered your own question.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my rig will cost about 23k when finished. of course you don't need to spend nearly that much to make them sound good but audio is my passion. i have spent a lot on cables that any rational person probably wouldn't do.

Daym dude that's like double the price of my car lol. I'm not in the same realm in that sense... Maybe a few years down the road. The HD800 are sounding like a worthy investment

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Daym dude that's like double the price of my car lol. I'm not in the same realm in that sense... Maybe a few years down the road. The HD800 are sounding like a worthy investment

$23k will get a lot more than than a HD-800. I've probably got somewhere close to that in audio gear, but that also includes a few pairs of wonderful speakers. Speakers that I prefer to the HD-800. As good as the HD-800 is, they lack the convincing realism of the Quads. If you're going to drop five figures on audio gear, you're missing out if you don't include fine speakers in your rig.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$23k will get a lot more than than a HD-800. I've probably got somewhere close to that in audio gear, but that also includes a few pairs of wonderful speakers. Speakers that I prefer to the HD-800. As good as the HD-800 is, they lack the convincing realism of the Quads. If you're going to drop five figures on audio gear, you're missing out if you don't include fine speakers in your rig.

Well I'm still renting so I can't put in fine speakers just yet besides I'm still much too young for that. When I am older and have my own house I'ma have my own sound room.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

That's 12.8 x the price of my car...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back