How much will the FiiO E6 improve my setup?
Jan 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

acme15

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, title says it all really :)

My source will either be an ASUS Xonar DS or a Cowon i9, and my 'phones will be either Koss Pro DJ100's or Sennheiser CX300-II's.

The Cowon i9 seems to be fine at driving earphones, but it is weak in comparison to other players which i have used when it comes to connecting over ear headphones or speakers. The sound quality is fantastic for what it is, but it sounds a little weak and lacks volume with some headphones/speakers... So i figured that a little FiiO might just do the trick :)

I have read that the FiiO will be good for my purpose as the EQ's will allow me to reduce the bass from my CX300-II's or increase the bass of my Pro DJ100's, as well as increasing the volume :)

Am i right in thinking this? And is there anything i should note or take into account? I know if it doesent do what i expect its only £20, but hey, its worth asking :)

Also i'm not overly sattisfied with the sound quality and clarity of my Xonar DS for listening to music when compared with the Cowon, so will the FiiO improve this as well? I have heard reports of the +6db setting improving bass and treble and tightening up the low end and adding 'punchiness' to the bass.

Thanks all :)

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:

I bought my E6 for $22.95 from head-direct.com

It's not very good.

Hope that helps.

what do you mean 'it's not very good'?

what about it is 'not very good'?

will it have the effect that i think it will despite not being 'very good'?

I have never listened to high end gear before, the best quality i have heard is my Cowon i9 and my Senn's listening to FLAC's. Ive never had a proper stereo or amp etc, so do you think that i will notice an improvement worth the money?

I'm not expecting the world, for £15 - £20 its not realistic to expect wonders, but it does have mostly positive reviews that ive seen.

Cheers,

Tom

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
what do you mean 'it's not very good'?

what about it is 'not very good'?

will it have the effect that i think it will despite not being 'very good'?

Not resolving, nearly useless EQ  for me. Build wise the E5 is better. You would really be better off with a CmoyBB since bass is your priority. The EPH-O2 is more for clarity and neutrality.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Not resolving, nearly useless EQ  for me. Build wise the E5 is better. You would really be better off with a CmoyBB since bass is your priority. The EPH-O2 is more for clarity and neutrality.

Bass is not necessarily my priority, amplification is my priority in a sense... I would want to reduce the bass of the earphones and increase the bass of the headphones.

How would the FiiO E11 be? a bit of a step up in price-point.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 14
Amplification is not EQ. It has nothing to do with increase / decease bass, but gives it more control (speed, damping, current, etc). If you want to increase / decrease the amount of bass on the headphone, the more effective way is to do it on the DAP's EQ (assuming it has one). This is especially true if you want to reduce bass, as most amp only does bass boost (if have one), not bass reduction.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Amplification is not EQ. It has nothing to do with increase / decease bass, but gives it more control (speed, damping, current, etc). If you want to increase / decrease the amount of bass on the headphone, the more effective way is to do it on the DAP's EQ (assuming it has one). This is especially true if you want to reduce bass, as most amp only does bass boost (if have one), not bass reduction.

i have read that some fiio portables have a -3db setting for the low end? a -3db, 0db, +3db, and +6db? i know that amplification is not EQ, but i need an amp that can power DJ100's from my Cowon i9.

Bass increase would be nice for the DJ100's, for the Senns i would probably not even use the amp, so dont worry about the bass reduction comment, ignore that :p

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
i have read that some fiio portables have a -3db setting for the low end? a -3db, 0db, +3db, and +6db? i know that amplification is not EQ, but i need an amp that can power DJ100's from my Cowon i9.

Bass increase would be nice for the DJ100's, for the Senns i would probably not even use the amp, so dont worry about the bass reduction comment, ignore that :p

No, the only FiiO product with a bass reduction EQ is the upcoming E17, and it is way over on what you are looking for.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
No, the only FiiO product with a bass reduction EQ is the upcoming E17, and it is way over on what you are looking for.

Ok thanks. Can anyone tell me how the E11 would be for my purpose? I can see that firev1 has one :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 14
It's purely subjective. I like the E6 for under $25.00. It is what it is  for "fun".  You get power, 2 EQ modes if needed, portable ( charged with your laptop) and it sounds freaking good and fun for hard rock and classic rock.

Skip one dinner with tip and get the E6 , what do you care? 

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
It's purely subjective. I like the E6 for under $25.00. It is what it is  for "fun".  You get power, 2 EQ modes if needed, portable ( charged with your laptop) and it sounds freaking good and fun for hard rock and classic rock.

Skip one dinner with tip and get the E6 , what do you care? 

Well, your review is much better than most I've seen. :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 14
Well, for under $25.00 buck, one cannot expect miracle. Still, I like the E6 for what it is if one just need more juice and some EQ. If your source is good, who cares about EQ anyway. Entry level  is what it is. Think Rock, Hard Rock with E6 and E10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back