How much should I spend on headphones if I have no amp or dedicated soundcard?
Jan 4, 2013 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kipland

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, if it isn't obvious I'm kind of new here and I'm looking for gaming headphones. However, unlike most people here, I don't have any sort of amp or dedicated sound card. I've been looking into getting some HD 518s but I was wondering if spending that much would even be worth it if I have no amp or dedicated sound card. If it matters, my mobo is an AS Rock Z77 extreme 4 with a Realtek ALC898 sound card, which supposedly has 7.1 Ch audio.

On a side note, how does the sound stage on the 518s compare to the AD700s, because I prefer the look, size, and extra bass of the HD 518s but I want to know how much of a sound stage difference there is between the two.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 3
at that kind of price put it all into headphones.
not sure about the AD700 soundstage though

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hi everyone, if it isn't obvious I'm kind of new here and I'm looking for gaming headphones. However, unlike most people here, I don't have any sort of amp or dedicated sound card. I've been looking into getting some HD 518s but I was wondering if spending that much would even be worth it if I have no amp or dedicated sound card. If it matters, my mobo is an AS Rock Z77 extreme 4 with a Realtek ALC898 sound card, which supposedly has 7.1 Ch audio.
On a side note, how does the sound stage on the 518s compare to the AD700s, because I prefer the look, size, and extra bass of the HD 518s but I want to know how much of a sound stage difference there is between the two.

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27.

The HD518 is a good choice for unamped headphone jacks.
But the Xonar DG should improve the audio quality of any headphone you get.
Sometimes there are some good prices on a used HD558.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back