How Much have you spent on your headphone setup????
Apr 12, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #181 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
It's because I made a lot of stupid decisions. I bought gear without hearing it, bought it based purely on opinions of others, and over time have realized these people have completely different tastes/ears than I do.

That's the beginning of wisdom. What you did isn't stupid, it's part of the learning experience. It's always tough to buy based on other's recomendations, you have to learn who has similar tastes to your's. You've now learned what you don't like, which puts you much closer to being able to identify what you like and those who like the same sound characteristics as you do. Being involved in this hobby doesn't necessarily mean that you ever reach the end of the trip, it's really about the experiences you have along the way and the people you meet.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #182 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
That's the beginning of wisdom. What you did isn't stupid, it's part of the learning experience. It's always tough to buy based on other's recomendations, you have to learn who has similar tastes to your's. You've now learned what you don't like, which puts you much closer to being able to identify what you like and those who like the same sound characteristics as you do. Being involved in this hobby doesn't necessarily mean that you ever reach the end of the trip, it's really about the experiences you have along the way and the people you meet.

Well spoken.
biggrin.gif

This site is great. It's funny how many life lessons and beautiful articulations you can glean from such a geeky hobby
600smile.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #183 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer

Here, here! I met you, right? Weren't you the biker guy with all those hot babes hanging around, wanting to get their ears on your Balanced Gilmore?

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #184 of 191
I will take responsibility for my earlier opinions. I understand that I wrote some strong stuff and there are a lot of reactions. That is fine. I value all forms of education and the subjects that I am most interested in require me to pursue them on my own. That is my choice. In no way, shape, or form did I direct my earlier opinion against any specific institution or graduate. If you have earned your dream education and career, then I am happy for you. However, I have observed that there are some areas of improvement that can be realized in the formal educational system in which I was inculcated (kindergarden through college) and I expressed my frustration. That is all folks. I will also apologize for shifting the focus of this thread to the original poster and I hope we can agree to get it back on topic without having it closed and locked. I know we can do it together.

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #185 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Here, here! I met you, right? Weren't you the biker guy with all those hot babes hanging around, wanting to get their ears on your Balanced Gilmore?

Where's my hot babes......

frown.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #186 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
Of course the knowledge that i got from the university might get outdated. The way of thinking and analytical behaviour that i got from the university isnt and is never going to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
I second that one. Studying at a university is all about training and flexing an intellectual mind along logical and scientifical laws of causal nature (except then maybe in string theory, but then...well, never mind
rolleyes.gif
). They can never take that away from you. How did that sound?
icon10.gif

Thirded. It constantly surprises me how useful the ways of thinking, modes of analyses, that I learned in university and law school inform how I understand and approach a wide variety of topics and issues - both professionally and just in ordinary life.

Best regards,

-Jason

Postscript: Woops... just noticed how old this thread was, and Welly's response above.

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #187 of 191
What if you already thought and analyzed things that way back in middle school?

My belief is that most people simply don't think. So we need college to teach us how to. However, if you already know how to use that gushy mass between your ears, college can be something even more useful, like honing a specific talent. (a BFA for example)

Apr 12, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #188 of 191
Since I'm the person who initially challenged Welly's comments about the educational system (way back when), let me second his motion (above) about respectfully letting that aspect of this thread die off. It's an excellent topic to discuss elsewhere, and one that as a life-long educator, I'm keenly interested in, but is has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, which is also interesting and worth discussing (although you won't get me to disclose my $ investment in the hobby
redface.gif
).

Apr 12, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #189 of 191
$4131

...wow, this thread got off topic.
blink.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #190 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Damn I need to go on holiday to hong kong to pick up more hi fi goodies. You can pick up some right bargains there.

Sure these phones only cost $25 then you don't mention the $20,000 shipping (fly to HK and stay a few nights in a local brothel). Don't try to cheat.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back