How Much have you spent on your headphone setup????
Nov 23, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #166 of 191
Possibly a new job in the foreseeable future, sounds like it might be a good time to add that Meridian to my list.
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #167 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
Possibly a new job in the foreseeable future, sounds like it might be a good time to add that Meridian to my list.
biggrin.gif

Am I right you grew up in ENgland? If so what Part?

Apr 10, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #168 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
How Much have you spent on your headphone setup????

More than I would like to admit.

To be honest, it's a complete and utter waste of money and sanity.

My "rig" sounds worse than this no-name portable CD player sitting next to me. Sure, i'm happy about owning the HD650s. But I can plug them directly into the portable, no amp, and enjoy it far more than my emu 1212m -> XRS -> v2se ... which costs a lot more by far. not to mention all the computer costs.......

DOH!

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #169 of 191
talk about bump from the dead.....

Apr 11, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #171 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
My "rig" sounds worse than this no-name portable CD player sitting next to me.

Is this a joke?
blink.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #172 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
My "rig" sounds worse than this no-name portable CD player sitting next to me.

A Google search for your recommended "no-name" brand resulted in 2,320,000 hits.
At least your giant killer doesn't seem to be rare.
Well, I could sell all those DACs, amps, interconnects, power conditioners and whatnot and get one of those fabulous "no-name portable CD players" ........

Apr 11, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #173 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
GoRedwings19:

College is highly overrated. I have a problem with the formal education system in America in that it teaches information using outmoded styles and traditions. How come I could go through nearly a decade of formal higher education (not to mention my entire childhood -> teenage years through formal public education) and I still have to learn about finances, wealth generation / protection, and how to get excellent credit on my own at the age of 27?! There are so many practical topics that aren't being taught: the benefits of being religious, the benefits of learning about money management, the benefits of finding the right spouse, etc. It's incomplete in my book.

Yet, the value of education and I'm not just talking about formal standardized version is always going to rank pretty high in society. It rightfully should. However, too much emphasis is being placed on brand name schools and degrees. America is very much a brand culture. We know Nike. We know Harvard University. Therefore, if you own such brands, then you automatically get treated a certain way. It's funny and too sad.

Enough of my little rant. I choose to go to work today.

College isnt something that you can cash right away. I think that college education is something that can help you become better and raise your standards. I have studied in the best engineering school in my country and had postgraduate studies in an ivy-league school. Of course the knowledge that i got from the university might get outdated. The way of thinking and analytical behaviour that i got from the university isnt and is never going to. All exams in my uni were "open book" (you could bring anything you wanted in the exam room from course books to computers etc etc). The meaning of this is that data and theories might change but the way that you should approach a problem never will.

Apr 11, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #174 of 191
You with the All-American Rig have the gall to state what schools should and should not be teaching? I completely empathize that many of our schools are certainly losing touch with the students and focusing on standardized testing with too much vigor, and I also lament the lack of focus regarding money management/international markets/other practical concerns. However, the public school system cannot be held responsible for teaching others about relationships/marriage, and I shudder about thinking how it should espouse the significance/insignificance of religion in one's life. Finding a significant other and learning about spirituality are very personal facets of one life; these are important, integral components of everyone's life in one way or another, and I certainly don't wish to discover them being homogenized via our education system (not to mention how personal bias would affect such dissemination). Brand recognition is just as important in other countries as well, though certainly more emphasized here than many other locations. Just because you feel disillusioned with the education system (and perhaps your life) doesn't mean the system is a universal failure.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: I now realize how long ago Welly posted this, and I wish I had responded earlier - I still respect his opinion but his post reeks of bitterness and egoism.

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #175 of 191
I'm with neil on that one. Have something to add tho. I see you typing about the "benefits" of being religious, and of finding the right wife... Do you realize what you're saying? lol...

You're religious because you believe in God, and find the right wife because shes the woman you love. If you look for the benefit in everything you will only find yourself living a bitter life full of regrets.

Now, to come back to the original thread subject, I spent nearly 3000 euros on my whole speaker+headphone setup and I dont regret a cent of it
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #176 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
College isnt something that you can cash right away. I think that college education is something that can help you become better and raise your standards. I have studied in the best engineering school in my country and had postgraduate studies in an ivy-league school. Of course the knowledge that i got from the university might get outdated. The way of thinking and analytical behaviour that i got from the university isnt and is never going to. All exams in my uni were "open book" (you could bring anything you wanted in the exam room from course books to computers etc etc). The meaning of this is that data and theories might change but the way that you should approach a problem never will.

I second that one. Studying at a university is all about training and flexing an intellectual mind along logical and scientifical laws of causal nature (except then maybe in string theory, but then...well, never mind
rolleyes.gif
). They can never take that away from you. How did that sound?
icon10.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #177 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
GoRedwings19:

College is highly overrated. I have a problem with the formal education system in America in that it teaches information using outmoded styles and traditions. How come I could go through nearly a decade of formal higher education (not to mention my entire childhood -> teenage years through formal public education) and I still have to learn about finances, wealth generation / protection, and how to get excellent credit on my own at the age of 27?! There are so many practical topics that aren't being taught: the benefits of being religious, the benefits of learning about money management, the benefits of finding the right spouse, etc. It's incomplete in my book.

Yet, the value of education and I'm not just talking about formal standardized version is always going to rank pretty high in society. It rightfully should. However, too much emphasis is being placed on brand name schools and degrees. America is very much a brand culture. We know Nike. We know Harvard University. Therefore, if you own such brands, then you automatically get treated a certain way. It's funny and too sad.

Enough of my little rant. I choose to go to work today.

This was sarcasm, right????
confused.gif
This just cant be serious.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #178 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Is this a joke?
blink.gif

No.

It's because I made a lot of stupid decisions. I bought gear without hearing it, bought it based purely on opinions of others, and over time have realized these people have completely different tastes/ears than I do.

Therefore, i'm left with a pure silver IC, when I hate the sound of silver.

A not-very-warm amp, when I prefer a warm sound.

The Zu Mobius, when again, I don't like the sound of silver. And it makes the HD650 brighter, which I don't particularly like.

*sigh*

You gotta remember though, man, i'm a music lover first. I don't mind the iPod buds much. Why? Cause they allow me to hear the music. Music is better than silence. Methinks people on this site allow the psychosomatics to color their hearing too much sometimes. If it sounds good, it is good. And to these ears, many cheap portables sound incredibly good.

-2 cents-

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #179 of 191
Sorry about your luck... I've done basically the same thing and bought most of my gear unheard or by recommendation. I've had pretty good luck so far, but am a little worried about the chinese CD player I just bought. The Dynahi is actually the first thing other than my K271S' that I've actually heard before buying.

I agree that portables can sound great though... even without my AOS Flute, my AV320 sounds amazing. With the flute it competes with a lot of good home rigs out there, but without it still bests most consumer electronics.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #180 of 191
sorry welly: life never came with an instruction manual. DOn't blame the instiution of school for the complications of life, "you can't learn everything in school"... "live and learn"... "Eveything cannot be spoon fed to you"

Let yourself live a little bit, then draw conclusions about life, have a profound and estoeric understanding, not one that was dictated to you out of some stupid book, by someone who said so. I think that's how you learn all the little things you need in life. School is just the training wheels, and a higher education, well that's not for living your life, thats for mastering a subject alone, practical, or impractical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back