How much have you spent on tubes for your amp recently?
Mar 18, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #31 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot more bad habits than buying tubes, at least that is what I tell myself. I enjoy tubes more than about anything, sad isn't it.? I do have 5 or 6 nice nos metal base GZ34's that I want to try in an amp one of these days. They are all different so it make for anice comparison. As far as other tubes, too many to remember.

Have you got the older type 5AR4 metalbase with solid plates?

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #32 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
power amp tube is not cheap and won't last too long. It's better to keep away it for speaker, yeah, if one can.

Western Electric 300B's are good for nearly 40,000 hours if operated within specs, 50's aren't quite that long lived though they'll still outlast quite a few sets of 5687's or 7044's. No they're not cheap, but treat them well and they'll give many years of musical joy.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #33 of 82
Tubes can drain your wallet much faster and easier than amps. I spent almost US$3,000 on tubes recently (in the past 3 months)

- Just a few good tested Metal Rim 5AR4 from Philips cost me over US$600
- Another hunt on Amperex, Mullard, Valvo 5AR4 cost me another US$250+
- a few pairs of NOS ECC801S from Telefunken and Siemens cost me another US$600
- then 2 NOS pairs of GEC A2900 is US$200 gone
- then comes some impulse buy of various 7308, CCa, and 6922 tubes from Siemens, Valvo, Telefunken and Amperex have drained my wallet by over US$600
- some ECC802S singles, 6067 pair from Brimar, and Telefunken ECC82 have burnt another US500+ off my wallet
- not to count a small number of 6SN7 I am start getting for my Singlepower amp some day down the road.

I am slowing down now and really wish to find time to enjoy my collection.

F.Lo

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #34 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am slowing down now and really wish to find time to enjoy my collection.

F.Lo

Are you sure you really want to "enjoy" them if you don't have any backup?

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #35 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Western Electric 300B's are good for nearly 40,000 hours if operated within specs, 50's aren't quite that long lived though they'll still outlast quite a few sets of 5687's or 7044's. No they're not cheap, but treat them well and they'll give many years of musical joy.

It's painful but sure it is part of the fun.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #36 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes can drain your wallet much faster and easier than amps. I spent almost US$3,000 on tubes recently (in the past 3 months)

This makes me feel better as I've not spent as much as you recently
biggrin.gif

I always tell myself that tubes will probably hold their value if not increase over the next few years.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 82
I’ve spent as much on tubes for the Aristaeus as the amp and HE90’s are worth. A staggering amount of money really. But I’ll tell ya- I’ve got some amazing tubes. You can’t buy stuff like that anywhere for any amount of money. I’ve got over a year collecting small lots of tubes in an effort to match usable sets. I own more of 1 type of vacuum tube than anyone in the world, I kid you not.

To me vacuum tubes are amazing- the ultimate combination of engineering, beauty and functionality. I picked up a pair of 45 balloon tubes probably from the 1930’s.

YT2.JPG

Does it get any better than that? Well there are tennis ball tubes but they are even more insane.

Mitch

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #38 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you really want to "enjoy" them if you don't have any backup?

I do have backups although not 100% duplication of each and every tubes. For example, I have collected over 50 12AU7 but so far have only one headamp that is using one. Similary, I have collected over 40 12AT7 for my Earmax S.E. but only one is required at a time. My problem is my working day is getting longer and longer, and the time available to roll tubes is getting less and less. That's why my priority is to "use" the tubes now
cool.gif

F. Lo

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes me feel better as I've not spent as much as you recently
biggrin.gif

I always tell myself that tubes will probably hold their value if not increase over the next few years.

This is what I tell my wife everytime when some glass get delivered to her office
biggrin.gif

F. Lo

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #40 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve spent as much on tubes for the Aristaeus as the amp and HE90’s are worth. A staggering amount of money really. But I’ll tell ya- I’ve got some amazing tubes. You can’t buy stuff like that anywhere for any amount of money. I’ve got over a year collecting small lots of tubes in an effort to match usable sets. I own more of 1 type of vacuum tube than anyone in the world, I kid you not.

Which tube is that?

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #41 of 82
No $$ spent so far, but I am seriously looking into tube rolling my amplifier.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #42 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is true. The last time I saw a gold lion B749 tested much below standard on eBay auction went for 100$. It surpresed me people would like to spend money just to hear once how the Gold Lion sound.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #43 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To me vacuum tubes are amazing- the ultimate combination of engineering, beauty and functionality. I picked up a pair of 45 balloon tubes probably from the 1930’s.

YT2.JPG

Does it get any better than that? Well there are tennis ball tubes but they are even more insane.

Mitch

Hey Mitch, would you post more pictures of your collection?
tongue.gif
Either Big ball or small ball is fine
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #45 of 82
Since buying my Woo 3 in January, I have gone nuts purchasing tubes for it. The search has been fun and I really enjoy rolling them around. The search for the perfect tube can be an interesting quest. I have also found that I like different tube combinations with different CDs. Tube rolling really is the perfect way to fine tune the sound. Here is what I have purchased so far:

1 Tungsol 5998 (1955)
4 Tungsol 5998 (1960s)
2 Tungsol 7236 (1960s)
2 Amperex Holland 6dj8 (1950s)
2 Phillips Holland A-frame ecc88 (1960s)
2 Amperex USA USN-6922 tall bottle white lettering
2 Amperex USA 7308 PQ white lettering
4 Amperex USA 6922 PQ white lettering
2 Tungsol 6bz7
5 GE 6bz7
5 Westinghouse 6bz7

Don't know the total amount spent but it was hundreds of dollars. Was it worth it?

[size=x-large]YES![/size]
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back