How much effect does source have on the headphones in terms of sibilance?
Aug 7, 2010 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
Does headphone sibilance mainly dependant on headphones?  I know the recording has significant affect on sibilance.  How about sources, does it contribute much?  Has anyone noticed this?

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 12
Well if the source is bright then you'll have a higher chance of your music being sibilant.... although from my experiences with various DAPs I think the headphones are the most influential since they are the ones that differ the most in terms of sound sig and coloring. 

I would say to look at the source sig last in terms of your whole rig. Headphones > Amps/DAP in terms of signature. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 12
I've seen some of the Sonys get a bit more treble in the RMAAs with when loaded but it's also fairly high up in the range, not sure how much that contributes to sibilance. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 12
I mostly think it's the recordings. A bad source can make sibilant stand out and make it even worse, but i think It's the recording/mic fault. A better amp and a smooth source does help, but don't expect miracles.

the HD650's mask sibilance quite well because of their rolled off highs + because most songs produced nowadays are just plain out garbage and emphasize too much treble.  But if a particular album was encoded terribly bad,  not even the almighty HD650 can hide sibilance.  It'll make its way heard and you'll most likely hear it, but it won't make you ears flinch in excruciating pain like other headphones like the grado/dt880/dt990's do.

I've learned that there will always be sibilance and you can't hide it. I have even heard sibilance in live performances. I do wish music was produced better, but it is what it is, nothing is perfect.

edit: any reason why this isn't in the Full Size headphone section?

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 12
This question can apply to IEMs also.  It can also apply to many parts of the audio equipment in general.

Quote:

edit: any reason why this isn't in the Full Size headphone section?

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
This question can apply to IEMs also.  It can also apply to many parts of the audio equipment in general.

Yep yep. I've read constant posts about Westone 3s being sibilant along with certain universal IEMs that are molded into customs (Because of the hard acrylic not absorbing the higher frequencies).

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Expand please, I am interested in the info.
smile.gif
  Which company molded from?  Fisher??

Quote:
Yep yep. I've read constant posts about Westone 3s being sibilant along with certain universal IEMs that are molded into customs (Because of the hard acrylic not absorbing the higher frequencies).

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Expand please, I am interested in the info.
smile.gif
  Which company molded from?  Fisher??

Oh well it doesn't really matter which company, it has mostly to do with the molding. When you mold a universal iem, you're changing the entire housing that it was made for. The IEMs are made with the knowledge that various tips will be used and, as we all know, the tips of an IEM change the sound signature because of their absorbtion of various frequencies (comply being the most and silicon being the least from my knowledge).

When you remove the tips completely and replace it with acrylic (custom molds), you are no longer absorbing the higher frequencies and sometimes the signature can noticeably change. This isn't always the case and I haven't heard any custom molded IEMs myself (keep in mind I'm only referring to universals that are remolded for customs) but just a thing to keep in mind.

You should really read the topics though regarding this because it isn't really that big of a problem, just something you should think of when you're doing an IEM like W3s and you listen to treble-hot music.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I mostly pin sibilance on the recording. You hear sibilance in live events, so you can't blame the gear for reproducing it. In terms of the source, an ideal one would neither add nor subtract from the signal.

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Of all the components in a portable audio rig; the source has least contribution to sibilance followed by the recording quality

Finally its the ear\headphones that can turn everything up or down.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 12
Glaringly obvious sibilance will come from the recording or can.  Over time drive you to turn down the volume sibilance can come from the source.  Marantz, Denon, Musical Fidelity are some I've had that were either shouty or treble hot.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 12
I had a DAC that I found particularly sibilant. Same headphones & amp with a number of other sources were fine. The only way to stop things sounding sibilant through that DAC was a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back