How much do the Grado HP1000/HP2 improve with proper amplification?
May 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DirtyLaundry

New Head-Fier
I was lucky enough to get a chance to spend a few days with these headphones after being impressed by them a few years back, and was just wondering how much these improve with amplification? 

Reason being is that I only have a MF X-Can V2 to test them with right now with a somewhat outdated budget cd player (NAD C541i). I like what I've hearing, but I would not buy them right now for what the guy wants for them. 

I think the biggest issue right now is the vocals can sound a little distant and fuzzy. The feel like the lower mid-range is awesome but the upper midrange is lacking some clarity. Lastly, I'm finding the highs are little fatiguing over long listening sessions. Could this be because they aren't getting enough current? 

I was just curious how much difference there would be between something like I have now and an amp more suited for them - like the Melos for instance. I'm sure many of you have heard these cans being driven by mediocre stuff vs. more higher end offerings ($500+ range). How would you guys quantify the difference? Is it a world of difference or just slight? 

What about changes in the source? 

I enjoy them right now, but I'm just afraid that if I buy them and improve my equipment at a later date I still won't be completely satisfied.

I know I can probably still sell them later, but it would still be time wasted... so I'm curious. Thanks for any input 

May 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 4
The fuzziness you hear is coming from the amp, most likely the power supply. The cleaner the amp, the cleaner they sound.

I like to run my HP-2 off a Zana Deux. They're clean, crisp and wonderfully neutral.

May 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Hmm, interesting, thanks. 

The only other Grado I have right now are the MS1's. The difference in presentation is stark to say the least. I feel like with the MS1 everything is in your face whereas with the HP2's  everything is more refined and slightly more laid back. I'm not going to lie, with my crappy (relatively speaking) source and amplification the HP2's definitely don't run away with anything right now in terms of overall enjoyment (both with flats). Is this normal until I upgrade to something more high-end? 

I did own the RS1's at one point but remember that I couldn't live with them for one reason or another. Too bad I don't have them any more to compare

May 15, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 4
purrin has a set of the HP2 and a Melos amp.  Maybe do some searching of his posts?

(Have to say that I do have the HP2 lust.)  

I took Bobcn's HP2 off <quickly> when I heard how nice they were!  

Would need to listen again for a longer period, but might trade all of my Grados for one pair of those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back