How much do open cans actually leak??
Feb 2, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

haarism

100+ Head-Fier
Alright so I have the srh440 headphones and thinking of an upgrade and I noticed that b and h has a really good price on the hd595 and, but they are open, now I'm mostly using these at school straight from an ipod touch, so I wanted to know how much do they actually leak or what sort of differences will I experience.
If it matters I listen to mostly indie folk and rock, alternative, some progressive metal, classical and jazz. very little rap and hip hop or electronic

If the hd 595 isnt a good choice for me can you recommend something else that works well unamped, I really dont have too much of a price range, Id like to pay under 300 after shipping though. Or should I just stick to my srh440s and upgrade to something better later on

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 14
If you are using headphones in public, you really need to stick with closed.

1. If you use open cans at school, you will need to turn them down so quiet to avoid bothering the people around you that it won't sound good.  The Senns probably don't leak as much as Grados, which are ridiculous (I could hear them playing at listening volume from downstairs), but open is open is open.

2. You're going to be listening in a loud enough environment that any benefits you get in terms of airiness, soundstage, imaging and depth will be lost in the roar from outside.  Open headphones really are great, but only if they aren't being drowned out by external noise.

Do you find that the 440s feel particularly claustrophobic or cavernous?  The Shures tend to be pretty good as far as closed headphones go in that respect.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 14
Agreed, the person standing next to you will be able to tell exactly what your listening to, at any decent volume.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 14
a lot. like a mini speaker. I had a steelseries siberia  headphone. it leaks so much lol. but the good thing is these open can usually have better soundstage. because leaked sound do travel back to your ear, give you more of a sound air interaction. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
a lot. like a mini speaker. I had a steelseries siberia  headphone. it leaks so much lol. but the good thing is these open can usually have better soundstage. because leaked sound do travel back to your ear, give you more of a sound air interaction. 

This. At moderately loud listening volumes on my HD 600s I can hear them from two rooms away. If they were speakers I would probably only need to increase volume about 50% for a near field moderate listening experience.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 14
are there any options prettier than the dt770? like something more serious looking, these look like the cheap headphones you get with sweaters sometimes or from the bargain bin

I was looking at the srh840, would that sound better from an ipod unamped?

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
If you want another pair of headphones why not just get open headphones for home use.

And just continue using the SRH 440 at school.

Yea that's what I was thinking of maybe doing, but I barely listen to music at home using headphones, which would be why I want the best possible I can get for all scenarios

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
are there any options prettier than the dt770? like something more serious looking, these look like the cheap headphones you get with sweaters sometimes or from the bargain bin

Are you referring to the DT770 PRO or Consumer/Premium? The Premium looks much better in my opinion. The Premium is the one with the grey and aluminum cups, while the Pro has solid black cups. There are a few versions of each too. Sound wise, I prefer the Premium 250 (and would probably like the Premium 600ohm also)

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 14
Open headphones leak sound A LOT. I think you should try to find that open, wide soundstage sound in a closed can, if possible. People on this forum seem to recommend the SRH840s (larger version of the 440s you own) or FA-003s.
Good luck...

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
Quote:

Are you referring to the DT770 PRO or Consumer/Premium? The Premium looks much better in my opinion. The Premium is the one with the grey and aluminum cups, while the Pro has solid black cups. There are a few versions of each too. Sound wise, I prefer the Premium 250 (and would probably like the Premium 600ohm also)

I was talking about this

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-770---32-ohm.php

they are the only portable 770 it seems

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 14
They leak a ton. I have listened to the 595s and when they are on someone else's head, they sound like laptop speakers to anyone around. I also have a pair of the MB Quart QP400, which are a super open headphone, and they sound like a pair of cheap Apple ear buds when my roommate was listening to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back