How much difference will a high-end DAC make?
Jan 12, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #91 of 274
I never heard of the Mola Mola Tambaqui before. Now I want one. :beyersmile:

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #93 of 274
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #95 of 274
Don't forget that the Iggy is neither D/S nor R2R, it's a hybrid.... :D (still sounds great though....IMO - Go Schiit!!!!)
Nor is the Mola Mola Tambaqui a D/S DAC, which he incorrectly asserted above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #96 of 274
I rather listen from a cheap headphone like the Sennheiser HD 650 from a Chord Dave than a super expensive headphone from a potato.

A high-end DAC like a Chord Dave makes that big of a difference.

There is even a big difference between a Chord Hugo 2 and a Chord Dave, it is not a small difference with headphones like the Focal utopia.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #97 of 274
Interesting discussion above... Personally I don't care or look at specs at all and only care about how it sounds and if I might like it or not. I've read some posts on that audioscience forum and my take away is that the people there seem to spend more time measuring and looking at graphs of audio equipment than actually listening to it.

Anyways, stores are closed where I live for at least another 3 weeks due to Covid so I can't demo anything at the moment. I've also not decided on the price range I want to look at, I thought I did but today I've suddenly got the urge to maybe try some Abyss 1266s since those are the only TOTL headphone I haven't heard yet. So I can either just spend all my budget on a Dac or get an Abyss + cheaper Dac. Not sure yet because then I will have 3 headphone and in the past from other hobbies when I get >2 options the 3rd (or plus) item gets left sitting in the dust.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #98 of 274
I rather listen from a cheap headphone like the Sennheiser HD 650 from a Chord Dave than a super expensive headphone from a potato.

There is even a big difference between a Chord Hugo 2 and a Chord Dave, it is not a small difference with headphones like the Focal utopia.

This is something I agree with. The source and amplification can make an unbearable headphone sound pleasant or even enjoyable.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #99 of 274

I started out as the guy with high end headphone out of a potato... I remember listening to my Stellias out of a 6th gen iPod Nano when I first got back into the hobby and still thinking damn this is pretty good, but ofc now I won't even entertain that option.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #100 of 274
Nor is the Mola Mola Tambaqui a D/S DAC, which he incorrectly asserted above.
Do you have proof of that?

It would be interesting to know, if not Delta-Sigma, then what a new technology has emerged in your opinion? So far you didn't shine in this area, posting only trash that required correcting false claims.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #101 of 274
So I just downgraded from the Dave/mscaler to the Focal Arche for my Utopia’s. The biggest shock is I find adding Danacable Lazuli Reference cable makes a bigger difference than this dac downgrade. My cable was sent back to get balanced connection and I miss the sound the cable brings more than the Dave/mscaler. I feel the Arche might even have better weight. Think I now understand why people were using separate headphone amps with the Dave.

I’m not saying the Arche is better but that it has a certain synergy. The Dave/mscaler excelled at micro detail and layers. But for just music enjoyment out of the headphone out, I don’t miss it. I’m sure I’m the exception.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #102 of 274
It is Delta Sigma at the core indeed where PCM waveform is always converted to the high-speed DSD datastreams using Delta Sigma algorithm and differ only on the reconstruction mechanism. How much it is different to the modern chip-DACs, it is unknown, as these details are kept secret or hidden under NDA.

For all others, it is important to remember that Tambaqui is a proprietary implementation of Delta-Sigma DAC, there is no new technology behind, otherwise it would be protected by patents. The same as any Chord DAC that cost much less (and perhaps sound the same).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #103 of 274
Everything ! But you need similar quality equipment and interconnects upstream and downstream to get the best out of your high end DAC.

Same goes for any source i.e. streaming, vinyl, reel to reel etc.

I come from the old school where the source comes first in terms of quality.

Hi, from the same generation - or older - we always thought transducers - cartridge (tone-arm, step-up, TT) and speakers. Amps & pre-amps next, cables an afterthought until about 1980. Then room treatments and rooms. Never ending spiral of concern...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #104 of 274
So I just downgraded from the Dave/mscaler to the Focal Arche for my Utopia’s. The biggest shock is I find adding Danacable Lazuli Reference cable makes a bigger difference than this dac downgrade. My cable was sent back to get balanced connection and I miss the sound the cable brings more than the Dave/mscaler. I feel the Arche might even have better weight. Think I now understand why people were using separate headphone amps with the Dave.

I’m not saying the Arche is better but that it has a certain synergy. The Dave/mscaler excelled at micro detail and layers. But for just music enjoyment out of the headphone out, I don’t miss it. I’m sure I’m the exception.

There's (sometimes )something to be said for using amps specifically designed for a particular headphone - with Utopias or Stellias, the Arche is simply spectacular. Likewise (although slightly more horrific expenditure) for the T&A Solitaire/HA200 combo - equally stunning. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way (Sennheiser, I'm looking at you....)

If I only ever used one pair of headphones, I'd buy an Arche to replace the HPA-4.....with Focal cans, it's a knockout.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #105 of 274
There's (sometimes )something to be said for using amps specifically designed for a particular headphone - with Utopias or Stellias, the Arche is simply spectacular. Likewise (although slightly more horrific expenditure) for the T&A Solitaire/HA200 combo - equally stunning. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way (Sennheiser, I'm looking at you....)

If I only ever used one pair of headphones, I'd buy an Arche to replace the HPA-4.....with Focal cans, it's a knockout.
Again I can't disagree with this post. However this is an extraordinary comment from the user who only have Delta-Sigma DACs in the setup, so it is worth to note. It is known that Delta Sigma DACs remove natural timbre and texture from the music, and HPA4 it is a nested loopback AAA technology, things that create completely sterile background. A synergy of the two is proven to work for many (for your defense it depends on a music taste), but it completes a complete departure from a natural presentation of music. I would say it is a dead-end road for high-end user.

It is why I am surprised that you managed to break with HPA4 (or at least started to realise a mistake). Sorry if it sounds for laughing, I am actiually glad that some constructive work is on the way which requires to turn back from the dead-end road. Focal Arche is a things I would only dream of. Fortunately I have R2R-11 which is a step in the right direction, both in the DAC and the amp section.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back