How much difference will a high-end DAC make?
Jan 20, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #151 of 274
Interesting thread. How often does everyone get their ears syringed? Most adults will suffer from some kind of wax build up on regular basis. A $50 syringe might save a few folks $16k+ on a new DAC.. :) Plus another few k on cables.. :)

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #152 of 274
Interesting thread. How often does everyone get their ears syringed? Most adults will suffer from some kind of wax build up on regular basis. A $50 syringe might save a few folks $16k+ on a new DAC.. :) Plus another few k on cables.. :)

Yeah, this is true. Also whether you’re feeling sick or stressed out can affect the sound more. I find sipping scotch can do more for my enjoyment than any upgrade.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #153 of 274
Just do a google search on "hypex class d amps". I use a NAD M22 V2, but there are several alternatives. I see units from Apollon and Nord, among others.

EDIT: The Hypex amp and power supply modules are also sold to DIYers, if you are inclined in that direction.
Class D amps give an initial whooow effect, but they are hard on tweeters and long time sessions give fatigue. Good to whatch a movie when going to bed, but not for the serious listening sessions. NAD is not better in this regard. Tried two Class D amps for over couple months, the last one was Icepower 125ASX2 based, it is replaced with entry-level Denon PMA-520AE. When Audio GD R2R-11 arrived, it marked the end for class D amps.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #154 of 274
Thanks everyone that's pitched in and helped me here and in PMs. I realize this thread is all over the place and it kind of reflects where I stand, which is all over the place... One day I am convinced of getting this thing then a few days later somebody pitches another idea and I am onto the next thing and this is without not having even bought anything yet. A lot of it I feel can be cleared up in a matter of hours even maybe if I can just find a place to demo some things, but a lot of the stuff that's been suggested is very hard to find here in Canada and some that are available is not accessible right now due to Covid. Initially my budget was to buy a pair of Stellia, drive it off my iphone and be done with it, but with Head fi before you know it I've gone close to 5 times over my original budget buying this and that.

Anyways, the reason I made the thread in the first place was because I wasn't convinced how much difference a high end dac will make (as stated by the title), and after 11 pages I can say I am still not convinced it's the best thing for me to buy right now. I've always been in the camp that upgrades goes in order of headphones > amp > DAC and even though my Manley tube amp is doing an excellent job, it would seem the Susvaras paired with a speaker amp is something I need to really look into. There's also the 1266 that I've wanted to try for a long time but haven't been able to get over some of its apparent design/sound signature impressions I've read. So right now I would say I am leaning towards this order:

1. Speaker amp for Susvara
2. Trying the 1266
3. Getting a DAC

For amp the Bakoon 13R is on the top of the list. There is a whole range of speaker amps I will research but something I value, which I realize might not be as important to others, is form factor and size. I am just not a fan of having massive 40 pound amps lying on my desk or coffee table next to me. However, nothing is off the "table" sort of speak.

As for option 2, I will need to find a dealer that has a return policy in case I don't like the 1266. Right now the 2 local dealers nearby don't accept returns because this is a special order item.

For DACs, the Chord stuff, particularly TT2, is on top of the list followed by the DAVE. I've put TT2 over Dave because some impressions people have told me lead me to believe the DAVE might be too thin and analytical for my taste since I prefer a warmer more lush or "musical" listening experience. Some of the Rockna stuff like Wavelight/Wavedream and PS Audio is also on my radar but the same form factor/size considerations also applies for DACs, hence the Chord DACs being first

EDIT: Oh yea, that's an interesting post on ear wax, I actually clean my ears regularly and have a special tool for ear wax. I've gotten into the habit early on since I used to listen to IEMS exclusively and ear wax build up gets disgusting fast.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #155 of 274
Thanks everyone that's pitched in and helped me here and in PMs. I realize this thread is all over the place and it kind of reflects where I stand, which is all over the place... One day I am convinced of getting this thing then a few days later somebody pitches another idea and I am onto the next thing and this is without not having even bought anything yet. A lot of it I feel can be cleared up in a matter of hours even maybe if I can just find a place to demo some things, but a lot of the stuff that's been suggested is very hard to find here in Canada and some that are available is not accessible right now due to Covid. Initially my budget was to buy a pair of Stellia, drive it off my iphone and be done with it, but with Head fi before you know it I've gone close to 5 times over my original budget buying this and that.

Anyways, the reason I made the thread in the first place was because I wasn't convinced how much difference a high end dac will make (as stated by the title), and after 11 pages I can say I am still not convinced it's the best thing for me to buy right now. I've always been in the camp that upgrades goes in order of headphones > amp > DAC and even though my Manley tube amp is doing an excellent job, it would seem the Susvaras paired with a speaker amp is something I need to really look into. There's also the 1266 that I've wanted to try for a long time but haven't been able to get over some of its apparent design/sound signature impressions I've read. So right now I would say I am leaning towards this order:

1. Speaker amp for Susvara
2. Trying to 1266
3. Getting a DAC

For amp the Bakoon 13R is on the top of the list. There is a whole range of speaker amps I will research but something I value, which I realize might not be as important to others, is form factor and size. I am just not a fan of having massive 40 pound amps lying on my desk or coffee table next to me. However, nothing is off the "table" sort of speak.

As for option 2, I will need to find a dealer that has a return policy in case I don't like the 1266. Right now the 2 local dealers nearby don't accept returns because this is a special order item.

For DACs, the Chord stuff, particularly TT2, is on top of the list followed by the DAVE. I've put TT2 over Dave because some impressions people have told me lead me to believe the DAVE might be too thin and analytical for my taste since I prefer a warmer more lush or "musical" listening experience. Some of the Rockna stuff like Wavelight/Wavedream and PS Audio is also on my radar but the same form factor/size considerations also applies for DACs.

I did not find the Dave thin or analytical but I never compared it to the TT2. The Dave with HF on, was a touch on the warm side. I only sold it because was really over my budget and Arche works great for my purposes. Only issue with Dave would be hard to drive headphones. The TT2 has more power and a gain switch. Plus additional filter settings.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #156 of 274
I did not find the Dave thin or analytical but I never compared it to the TT2. The Dave with HF on, was a touch on the warm side. I only sold it because was really over my budget and Arche works great for my purposes. Only issue with Dave would be hard to drive headphones. The TT2 has more power and a gain switch. Plus additional filter settings.

Interesting, I guess it's all relative what we consider warm, if I go the DAC route I'd be able to demo the DAVE or TT2 and return it. I wouldn't be driving any headphones off the DAVE or TT2 for that matter, I'd be using it as a DAC and feeding it to my tube amp

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #157 of 274
Class D amps give an initial whooow effect, but they are hard on tweeters and long time sessions give fatigue. Good to whatch a movie when going to bed, but not for the serious listening sessions. NAD is not better in this regard. Tried two Class D amps for over couple months, the last one was Icepower 125ASX2 based, it is replaced with entry-level Denon PMA-520AE. When Audio GD R2R-11 arrived, it marked the end for class D amps.
Nonsense. I've been listening to Hypex Class D monoblocks driving my speakers for several years, and driving my Susvara for about a year. ZERO listening fatigue.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #158 of 274
Interesting. I wouldn't be driving any headphones off the DAVE or TT2 for that matter, I'd be using it as a DAC and feeding it to my tube amp

You might want to read more but I’ve read that just comparing the dac, Dave supposed to be big improvement. More texture and layering. Believe due to 20 bit pulse array vs 10.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #159 of 274
You might want to read more but I’ve read that just comparing the dac, Dave supposed to be big improvement. More texture and layering. Believe due to 20 but pulse array vs 10.

I've read quite a bit already, impressions have been everywhere from it being the most revolutionary thing since sliced bread to someone not able to tell the difference between the DAVE and Hugo 2 when A/b'ing and ended up selling the DAVE. I don't think I will ever reach a definitive answer for myself without hearing it. Like I said I am not sure which route I will go yet, but if I go for a DAC I think I am most likely getting a TT2 first, there's a serious price difference going up to DAVE and factoring in diminishing returns.

Also, btw, did you feel like the DAVE is a significant step up from the Arche in terms of DAC performance?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #160 of 274
Nonsense. I've been listening to Hypex Class D monoblocks driving my speakers for several years, and driving my Susvara for about a year. ZERO listening fatigue.
Maybe, but I know what kind of music you are listening to.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #161 of 274
I've read quite a bit already, impressions have been everywhere from it being the most revolutionary thing since sliced bread to someone not able to tell the difference between the DAVE and Hugo 2 when A/b'ing and ended up selling the DAVE. I don't think I will ever reach a definitive answer for myself without hearing it.

For me using the Utopia and the headphone out of those 2 dacs, Dave is big improvement. But hard to say if Dave having more power was some of the reason. As mentioned, stepping down to Arche from Dave/mscaler wasn’t as big as a difference as I thought it would be. If I would have done the back and forth I’m sure it be the precise timing of the Mscaler/Dave that I would have noticed. You hear this with the strumming of the guitar or the bass. But that was more the mscaler than the Dave. The Dave on its own was full, layered, and had a euphoric sound that was lacking with the Hugo 2.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #162 of 274
For me using the Utopia and the headphone out of those 2 dacs, Dave is big improvement. But hard to say if Dave having more power was some of the reason. As mentioned, stepping down to Arche from Dave/mscaler wasn’t as big as a difference as I thought it would be. If I would have done the back and forth I’m sure it be the precise timing of the Mscaler/Dave that I would have noticed. You hear this with the strumming of the guitar or the bass. But that was more the mscaler than the Dave. The Dave on its own was full, layered, and had a euphoric sound that was lacking with the Hugo 2.

Fair enough. I've never heard it so I can only go off what I've read and there's definitely 2 sides of it, though the naysayers seem to be more quiet considering it is a very popular product. It's number 2 on list of DACs I want to try and if I can find a good deal it will be #1.

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #163 of 274
Guys, give up. OP has already made a mind on the Chord DAC from the first post. Naysayers have no chance.

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #165 of 274
Guys, give up. OP has already made a mind on the Chord DAC from the first post. Naysayers have no chance.

LOL I am probably the furthest from somebody thats made up their mind

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back