How much difference will a high-end DAC make?
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #166 of 274
Guys, we're in a frikking global pandemic. Who cares? $17k on an amp whilst families around you can't eat?
Why bring politics into a hobby discussion. Plenty of people saved a lot during the pandemic and they want some toy to enjoy during lockdown.

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #167 of 274
Guys, we're in a frikking global pandemic. Who cares? $17k on an amp whilst families around you can't eat?
We’re “stimulating” the economy :L3000:

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #168 of 274
The Chinese and French economies :)

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #169 of 274
Why bring politics into a hobby discussion. Plenty of people saved a lot during the pandemic and they want some toy to enjoy during lockdown.

Yeah, ignore me. Was just at the end of a tough day.

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #170 of 274
In my opinion, no difference. Although I haven’t reached 2k+ on DACs, I never heard a difference. I settled with a DAC that measured well and cost within reason. I don’t think you need to spend a lot of money on a DAC. Focus more on the headphones. Maybe my ears are not gifted idk.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #171 of 274
In my opinion, no difference. Although I haven’t reached 2k+ on DACs, I never heard a difference. I settled with a DAC that measured well and cost within reason. I don’t think you need to spend a lot of money on a DAC. Focus more on the headphones. Maybe my ears are not gifted idk.

It's really an incomplete comparison. It's like in the 80's people would say that speakers are more important than cartridges. The real comparison is:"

speaker, room acoustics, listening position, any amp limitations.

vs

cartridge, tonearm, turntable, environmental issues (TT cover rattling at high volumes, foot steps and heavy bassw getting to the cartridge through the TT/whatever TT is sitting on.

Just the DAC? How about source? CD, WAV, MP3; bit perfect ?, inputs to DAC? BNC, optical, USB, Coax? If you use standard CD with an optical, a $10k DAC might sound pleasant, but it's going to be well muted in terms of definition vs a bit perfect 192k feed thru a USB into the same DAC, or even a used Gumby 1.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #172 of 274
Interesting thread. How often does everyone get their ears syringed? Most adults will suffer from some kind of wax build up on regular basis. A $50 syringe might save a few folks $16k+ on a new DAC.. :) Plus another few k on cables.. :)

Maybe but isn’t the opposite more likely? I.e. the more wax build up the harder it is to hear SQ difference.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #173 of 274
Maybe but isn’t the opposite more likely? I.e. the more wax build up the harder it is to hear SQ difference.

Exactly! If I'm going to drop 17k on a DAC I at least would want to know the truth..

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #174 of 274
Just the DAC? How about source? CD, WAV, MP3; bit perfect ?, inputs to DAC? BNC, optical, USB, Coax? If you use standard CD with an optical, a $10k DAC might sound pleasant, but it's going to be well muted in terms of definition vs a bit perfect 192k feed thru a USB into the same DAC, or even a used Gumby 1.
It is why we use DDC with external clock, then S/PDIF coax or optical will sound the same as USB. :)

It reminds my my first gear, cheap turntable combo with FM receiver, amp and small speakers for few bucks. It did sound natural. Now I have to spend $1K for a good R2R DAC, otherwise it sounds digital, not involving.

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #175 of 274
Exactly! If I'm going to drop 17k on a DAC I at least would want to know the truth..

Yes but what is truth?

10 persons listen to the same DAC (or 10 different HPs or whatever) and some love it, some hate it and other think its ok but nothing special.

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #176 of 274
Yes but what is truth?

10 persons listen to the same DAC (or 10 different HPs or whatever) and some love it, some hate it and other think its ok but nothing special.

Well, at least with your ears cleaned out you're listening to "your" truth.

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #177 of 274
There is no end game, no truth, no nothing. Just buy what sounds good to you. I like my expensive dac more than my cheap ones and I have heard better. There are also reasons why some dacs more expensive than others and you are not dumb or stupid or easily gullible if you buy the more expensive gear. People general spend their hard earned money on things they value, including better sound, better fit and finish, better support, better resale value, etc..

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #178 of 274
There is no end game, no truth, no nothing. Just buy what sounds good to you. I like my expensive dac more than my cheap ones and I have heard better. There are also reasons why some dacs more expensive than others and you are not dumb or stupid or easily gullible if you buy the more expensive gear. People general spend their hard earned money on things they value, including better sound, better fit and finish, better support, better resale value, etc..

Not necessarily. Many just jostle to own the "best". And the "best" may cost the most but not always sound the best. That's subjective.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #179 of 274
It's best to that person (could be sound, resale value, fit finish, whatever it may be), and that's all it matters.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #180 of 274
It's best to that person (could be sound, resale value, fit finish, whatever it may be), and that's all it matters.

Not in this thread, no. We're talking about, I believe, what "sounds" the best. Resale value etc.. is by the by. If you have to worry about resale value you probably shouldn't be spending $17k on a DAC..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back