How much did you spend on your teeth?
Jun 28, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #16 of 35
umm, let me see; 2 Omega II,s an Orpheus and toss in a KGBH ...that should about do it...got well over 30K in my mouth and I still need another implant.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
umm, let me see; 2 Omega II,s an Orpheus and toss in a KGBH ...that should about do it...got well over 30K in my mouth and I still need another implant.

how painful is it? compared to root canals?

procedure looks brutal....

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 35
I have two primary dental plans. One from work, the other through a professional organization. The dentist submits the bill to one, then whatever's left to the other. Works great. Covers my 20% and any "over customary" charge. $2700 annual limit, $100 total deductible ($50 each). The key is they must both be primary policies so they're both liable for the same bill. I'm not sure, but I think a secondary policy would be a good addition if you need to go over the limit.

Hopefully this helps to ease someone's pain.

Even with that, it cost me $5000 the last 2 or 3 years. Two thing happened. First, everything my previous dentist did had to be redone. Second, I got a waterpick as a present and started using it on high blast. It ate through a bunch of calcium spots and caused at least 8 cavities on the visible (outside) surface of my teeth within a few months, including 5 front teeth, a wisdom tooth, and two canines.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #19 of 35
Yes, 5K, 20K on teeth is crazy.
How about over 100K?

But it is gonna happen, when you assume yours are ok and don't keep them in check... sooner or later. I spent about 20K because I assume that way. When I felt something is not right, that was too late. And that's how people loosing their teeth.

Once your teeth and gum get bad, there's no way to get them back healthy again. So... no matter how young you are, don't assume, start checkup before you hit your 30's.

For those who has no problem with gum, but has problem with weak teeth or sharp pain from over brushing may want to go to local phamacy and ask them for "GELKAM". No prescription needed, but you need to ask them find it for you. What it does is it coats thin layer of flouride at your teeth surface, and it also reparing enamel by boding up on your teeth with what's in it. That could prevent your teeth getting weak if used two to three times a week regulary.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #20 of 35
Probably around $4000 the last 20 years.
Not too bad at all, since I spend ~$150 each year to get them properly checked.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #21 of 35
See if your work place offers a Flexible Spending Account. It uses pretax dollars. So if you know you're going to have big time work done, enrolling in an FSA can save you a lot of $$$. The downside is that if you don't use it by the end of the year, you lose it.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See if your work place offers a Flexible Spending Account. It uses pretax dollars. So if you know you're going to have big time work done, enrolling in an FSA can save you a lot of $$$. The downside is that if you don't use it by the end of the year, you lose it.

I have two jobs and is a graduate student and neither of that offers dental plan or flexable spending account.
frown.gif

I have savings to spend on this, but $ has to come out from my car/house funds.

It hurts, but my teeth are pretty important.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #23 of 35
I was...barely 14 when I had nine teeth extracted. Yeah, all at once:
  1. Four back teeth (those weird ones that stay in the gums for awhile)
  2. Four...I forgot, but they're one farther in from your canine teeth
  3. ...and one monster tooth that was growing from my lower jawbone
And since after that I've had braces, and I'm slated to get them off July 30th. Going to feel so weird not feeling those nasty metal bits in my mouth. Can't say I'm going to miss them though.
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #24 of 35
I recently went to my wife's dentist after not seeing one for over 9 years. I had one really small cavity and that was it, so they filled it right there after my cleaning. There were 3 or 4 people standing around me amazed that it had been 9 years. What can I say? I have some really strong chompers. It runs in my family. Total spent over the past 15 years....$235.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup. mine gets cavities like there's no tomorrow and is extremely brittle.
frown.gif

I'm not an expert, but I'm willing to bet that you eat a ton of starches. And bacteria of the oral sorts love sugar/STARCHES since they become sugars due to your saliva. Your teeth probably naturally has deep indentations within it, which allows small bits of starch/sugars and what not to get lodged in.

Hence cavities, but looking at this from another point of view, maybe you just have a mouth that is naturally filled with more bacteria than normal. I know for sure, that there are some toothpastes out there that are designed to strengthen your enamel and teeth in general.

BTW folks remember to scrape your tongues, and check your gums.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by funniecow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not an expert, but I'm willing to bet that you eat a ton of starches. And bacteria of the oral sorts love sugar/STARCHES since they become sugars due to your saliva. Your teeth probably naturally has deep indentations within it, which allows small bits of starch/sugars and what not to get lodged in.

Hence cavities, but looking at this from another point of view, maybe you just have a mouth that is naturally filled with more bacteria than normal. I know for sure, that there are some toothpastes out there that are designed to strengthen your enamel and teeth in general.

BTW folks remember to scrape your tongues, and check your gums.

nope. lots of green veggies and some fruits. I also rinse with saltwater once a day. dentist said its due to brittle teeth.

I hate my teeth
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #28 of 35
Fortunatley for my parents, £0, $0.

My sister got in just before the UK government and orthodontists started charging for cosmetic work, and i got in way before, and mine was not cosmetic anyway, my teeth were absoloutley terrible.

I had two plates that was adjusted and made wider weekly to make my mouth bigger, and had one tooth extracted, at about 9-13, with a large gap between each plate i had, then i had braces for two years, and had them removed in January i think. I have really nice straight even teeth now, and quite white. I love them. I just wear a plastic retainer every night now to stop them moving.

Was worth the work, pain (when braces were tightened only) and wait.

I drink about 5 small glasses of fizzy drinks in two weeks, basically one a day when at my dads so, 1 a week, one evening a week, and one the next week, and that weekend at his (every two weekends) every day, 3 days. 1+1+3=5

I have a chocolate bar every few months, no more. Occasional milkshake. Coco Pops everyday.

Matt

Jun 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #29 of 35
I've recently spent over CI$11,000 which is US$14,000-something, but it was the best money I've ever spent. Modern dentistry is much different than what I remember as a kid. We used to fear the dentist! But now everything is white and up to today's standards. They did a great job, so much so that I actually liked going in for my appointments. Must have been 10 appointments in total. Lots to fix after 30 years of neglect.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #30 of 35
My mother has tetracycline poisoning. This makes her teeth much softer and more sensitive than other peoples. She can't drink regular soda or eat fruit pies because the sugar content is so high and bothers her teeth. It is fair to say that she has quite a bit of work done.

Me, I brush regularly and still get the occasional cavity. It is just a genes thing for the most part - or that is what my dentist says.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back