How much better than Tidal is Qobuz (for sound quality)?
Oct 22, 2023 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

BrokeAudiophileMan

100+ Head-Fier
Also is Qobuz integration in Roon as good as Tidal? I'm considering switching for better SQ but getting my 6000+tracks into Qobuz will be a pain in the neck. If it's really better than Tidal I'll do it though. Thoughts?

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 32
They both can provide bit-perfect output, for lossless FLAC streaming there shouldn't be any difference, Tidal MQA is lossy and doctored, more like fancy MP3.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 32
They both can provide bit-perfect output, for lossless FLAC streaming there shouldn't be any difference, Tidal MQA is lossy and doctored, more like fancy MP3.
I've heard people say that, but I've also heard a lot of times that Qobuz sounds better so I'm trying to verify with people who've tried both.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 32
I've heard people say that, but I've also heard a lot of times that Qobuz sounds better so I'm trying to verify with people who've tried both.
Don't they both offer a free trial period? One thing is how they sound, to me, the user interface is also a very important factor for everyday use 😊

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 32
Don't they both offer a free trial period? One thing is how they sound, to me, the user interface is also a very important factor for everyday use 😊
They both have bitperfect desktop apps. If they sound different, the problem is between the listener's ears.

The most important thing is probably the music catalog (do they have the music you want). Also, the price can vary a lot depending on region.

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 32
Also is Qobuz integration in Roon as good as Tidal? I'm considering switching for better SQ but getting my 6000+tracks into Qobuz will be a pain in the neck. If it's really better than Tidal I'll do it though. Thoughts?
It's pretty easy to transfer your library to any streaming service using Soundiiz.

Apple Music may have a slightly larger catalog than Tidal and Qobuz. Tidal and Qobuz can be used with Roon. Tidal seems to have better music discovery than Qobuz. Comparing the same songs on Qobuz vs Tidal.. Well you may hear some differences.

I preferred the sound from Qobuz Sublime over Tidal HiFi Plus. However, for all the features and music library I chose Tidal HiFi Plus. Qobuz still has a digital storefront if you like to purchase music, you get a decent store discount when you subscribe to Qobuz Sublime.

If you're on the fence sign up for a trial and compare both services to find the best one for you.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 32
Whenever I've tried them both at the same time, I've thought Qobuz sounded better on my equipment. Tempted to do another test soon as Tidal has a much larger library than Qobuz. I've been a subscriber to Qobuz for a couple of years now I guess. I also like that Qobuz have a duo plan as well as a family plan. Our family uses Spotify but I also pay for Qobuz as I prefer higher quality streaming.

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 32
Different streaming services may in some cases also have different versions of the same songs (as in different masters etc), I'd say that's a very plausible reason why someone would say there's a big sound difference between two services, especially if both are bit perfect streams (or there's some other configuration issue).

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 32
Qobuz sounds better to me too.....so there could be something different in how they manage sound transfer (other then 'bit perfect', or smthing hidden behind it )
Try it yourself

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 32
In the majority of cases both services now have bitperfect transfer to the DAC and have identical masters for songs.
I've come across a couple instances where masters were different (usually just due to watermarking on one) but those are pretty few and far between.

It wasn't the case back when lossless wasn't available for a huge number of tracks on Tidal, but now both services in terms of SQ will be identical in 99% of tracks

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 32
In the majority of cases both services now have bitperfect transfer to the DAC and have identical masters for songs.
I've come across a couple instances where masters were different (usually just due to watermarking on one) but those are pretty few and far between.

It wasn't the case back when lossless wasn't available for a huge number of tracks on Tidal, but now both services in terms of SQ will be identical in 99% of tracks
These flac tracks on Tidal, are they actually original masters or just transcoded MQA. I'd guess it would be hard to source original masters so quickly considering that all their high res was MQA.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 32
I have both and switchable on Hiby music , so I can A/B same tracks and eventually hear subtlities ,my ears are consistent with what has been reported around web by many by now -even reviewers ( that they sound different more then not )
Tidal feels slightly more upront or even grainy (mids and upperbass, ) , Qobuz feels the more refined

I would add as for an audiophile point of view that the thing is noticeable or even evident in some tracks and vocals..less so in others

Talk subtlities and preference but..they are there

Imo
Ymmv
🙏

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 32
I am listening to Joe Henderson Take The A Train now

a simple acoustic jazz tune

On Qobuz , the shimmering dishes rain at the beginning is softer then on Tidal ( more gentle and akin to their intro sense too);

acoustic strings of double bass at the intro are rounder and more blooming on Qobuz , they show more dry pitch and more upfront on Tidal;

finally , Joe Henderson saxophone is less upfront and less ringing/honky -overall inserted in a more flowingly coherent and pleasurable way in the stage (for me): again on Qobuz

Well sure it may be subtle for some but..😶definitely noticeable , i'd bet $k musicians wouldn't spot the differences here , let alone a sax player

Just my 2c💐

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 32
I am listening to Vanden Plas "Father"

Same impressions..
On Qobuz a slightly softer presentation helps a certain taste and musicality..viceversa on Tidal an ever so slight accent on front impact may appeal some other group of the audience
Sound is less upfront and has less emphasis on a certain high-bass /mids region on qobuz, and more stage depth to appreciate in some parts could be a result for this recessed area , this is equally appreciable on the short classical extract of Stravinsky 'The Rite Of Spring' in the song intro as well as on the body of the song when the rock and metal rifs begin

For same reaon some male voices sound more grounded on Tidal and strike my preference here, again this might be due to the slightly different software profile offered by the streaming services , I have no dubt in fact that while this may be a designed wanted rendering sound aspect of a same 'bit perfect' source or not , audio software designers and audio eng. at both Tidal and Qobuz know about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back