How much amp is needed for DT990 / 600 Ohms?
May 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
I'm just interested in what is needed to make these sound good.

I tried them with the Beyerdynamic A1 headphone amplifier but there was still a lot that bothered me:

- Soundstage is too intimate and close, does not extend far enough
- Bass feels kind of hollow, needs more body and faster decay
- Highs feel lifeless and hi-hats tend to sound like cans, could use some color
- More aggressivity/attack in general

Will I get anything of that with a "better" (and please, cheaper!), e.g. better suited amp? I've tried different sources (A1, opamp627, Technics receiver, soundcard, iPhone) but the changes are very minimal (except for the muddy soundcard and lower resolution of the iPhone). But I think I need more color. How can I achieve that?

May 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm using the Zero DAC '09 for CD's. You think that might be the problem? How does a better DAC show in audio quality? What do I have to look out for? I was recommended the Yulong U100 to pair with the Beyerdynamic.

Others have said yesterday that it's perfectly normal that the DT990 sounds lifeless - that's just how the DT990 is supposed to sound. I shouldn't bother trying to add color to the sound but switch brands instead.

May 17, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 8
Could try an entry level otl tube amp like little dot, they pair quite nicely with the beyers-- provide lots of voltage swing which the high impedance beyers crave.

I'm not sure how the A1 does with them myself, but limited soundstage and tinny cymbals can also be a problem with the way a song was recorded and mastered just as much as the synergy between dac, amp and headphone.

May 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Others have said yesterday that it's perfectly normal that the DT990 sounds lifeless - that's just how the DT990 is supposed to sound. I shouldn't bother trying to add color to the sound but switch brands instead.

I would have to say that this comment seems to fly in the face of most of the comments that I have heard about the DT990s.  They are very well know as being huge treble and bass monsters that are akin to "wearing a rave on your head". 

I just saw that comment and it really jumped out at me since it seemed to be so much in the opposite direction of my experience as well as most of the comments that I have heard.  I do believe that these cans excel with an OTL tube amp.  I have listened to them using my LD MKIV and they sounded amazing. 

-Chris

May 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Maybe I'm making myself not clear enough or I am mixing up the vocabulary (not a native speaker).

I do find the bass to be too much, actually. It sounds realistic judged by the timbre and decay and that also bothers me that it's as pronounced. I don't mind strong bass (love it, actually) if it's fun, but with the 990 I feel like it's not meant to be pronounced. It feels awkward and uncomfortable at times. It's amazing with live recordings and captures the atmosphere well, though.

I think "tinny" is the correct word for describing the highs. While I don't like the metallic sound of the Ultrasones, I do imagine them with a slight bright yellowish color in my head (I always associate sounds with colors - does anybody else?). The Beyers are only grey. :frowning2:

As for the soundstage, I just think it's weak. I get a better feeling of a room with the HFI-780 and the distance is just too close for my ears, which admittedly, are used to S-Logic.
I just had the chance to test the T1 for couple of days and it is simply amazing! I was probably just expecting too much.

However, I don't see any energy in the 990s. I will be saving up for a T1 now, no doubt, but I just wanted to check how much difference another amp can achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back