How much a desktop DAC does HM-801 worth(when used as USB DAC)
Dec 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

syryanyang

100+ Head-Fier
Hey I have a dilemma and need some help here
Basically I have $800 and want a desktop dac/amp combo and a portable dap. Then I find that HM-801 can do-it-all. So which one do I chose? 
Note that I listen to music at home more so dac/amp are more important to me.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Basically I have $800 and want a desktop dac/amp combo and a portable dap. Then I find that HM-801 can do-it-all. So which one do I chose? 

Basically, it sucks unless you are a member of the "objective measurements mean nothing" club. DAC performance is very graphable and if you compare this to other DACs, you'll find it's poor:

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Comparisons/Hifiman%20Line-Out%2C%20USB%2C%20SPDIF.htm

The 801's strength is in driving demanding cans like HD800s; with low impedance cans it distorts heavily:

I'd suggest getting and O2/ODAC combo for the desktop and a separate DAP. Unless you want to drive really low efficiency phones,  a Sansa Clip is excellent once it is Rockboxed. This combo will cost a lot less, should sound better, and you won't give a damn if the DAP gets eaten by a tiger.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

First I would say, take your time and read some reviews and info on devices you are interested in.  You have a reasonable budget for a DAC/AMP so now it is just a question of finding one that suits your needs.
Try the dedicated source component thread also as thatis really what you want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back