How many songs on your ipod? And how you sort your music
Oct 20, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #16 of 43
20 GB (not sure exactly how many tracks) worth of the Bach-Edition in LAME in my iRiver H10. About two thousand KLS files in my Kenwood.

Oh yes and sorting: on my Bach - Edition DAP, genre separates the music type, as in Keyboard Works, Cantatas, etc. Artist is leader/conductor + ensemble/orchestra. That is all in a completely separate file from my other database. Time/Period > Composer > Genre > Album (ie. Baroque > Bach > Sacred Cantata > Ritcher - Kantaten I)

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #19 of 43
Is this an iPod-only thread? In case it's not:

2013 track on my TrekStor vibez in folders structured by Artist / Album / Track. I connect it in MSC mode and use a quick Robocopy script to sync it with my "My Music" folder on my PC. Anything I don't want synched I drop into a "vibezexclude" folder. My script then removes those files from the vibez, too.

A little over simplistic, maybe, but works perfectly for my needs.

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 43
anyone else? Oh yeh, one more thing i forgot to add to the original post. Do you pick songs out of albums or do you just put full albums onto your ipod. Personally I only keep what I like really.

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by weste47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone else? Oh yeh, one more thing i forgot to add to the original post. Do you pick songs out of albums or do you just put full albums onto your ipod. Personally I only keep what I like really.

My 6,400+ songs are "favorites". I've written the track numbers inside of each jewel case.

I like to use shuffle mode from my whole collection and I don't like having to skip tracks.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #25 of 43
I've just recently (as of this morning) restored my 60GB iPod photo and copied most of my tunes back to it. According to my information screen, TUNEMEISTER has:

8071 Songs taking up 55.42 GB in disk space

I don't really have any type of sorting system in place on my iPod. Since I listen to such a wide variety of music, you'd THINK I'd take the time to tag my stuff by genre but I couldn't be bothered and now it would take forever for me to do so anyways.

I've always been an album guy, but having said that, and considering the depressing state of quality in the record industry these days, I'm FORCED to pick and choose tracks from some less than stellar albums in my collection. Life's too short to fill your iPod full of crap you won't listen to anyways.

I'm seriously lusting after an iPod Classic, though. with 160GB, I could ALMOST put my entire collection onto it, which is:

24477 Songs taking up 166.57 GB's of disk space.

As for encoding, I've been using MusicMatch Jukebox for almost 10 years now (wow!) and my nitpicky ears haven't noticed. I started ripping at 160 KBPS MP3 and have since moved up to 256. I've been experimenting with LAME 3.97 VBR and EAC though, and I have to admit I'm impressed. If it wasn't for EAC's rather anemic tagging ability, I'd say I found an excellent replacement. Time will tell, though.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #26 of 43
I have about 60 songs on an iPod shuffle right now. Ghetto-fi at its best. It's the new Radiohead album, a Trae mixtape, Mickey Facts mixtape, UGK album "Dirty Money," and a couple other songs I enjoy.

That's because I just had my iPod 30GB 5th gen replaced for skipping and haven't loaded anything back on it yet (until I get a new case, it's not coming out of the plastic wrap)

I fill it completely with Apple Lossless, it usually ends up being around 1000 tracks.

And I just won an auction on an iPod 1st gen 5GB that I'm going to use for a while.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #27 of 43
I have 540 songs on my touch. It's mostly individual tracks on there, with a few full albums. Basically, I just go through my music collection and pick out what I have liked to listen to and that goes on the music player. Chances are I won't even listen to a good portion of what I did load on here, though, knowing how I am with even higher capacity players.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #28 of 43
Currently, I have about 650 songs on my 5GB RCA Lyra RD2763-FM. I usually keep my directories down to 80 minutes of music apiece, with around 21 or 22 tracks per directory, but one of my directories has 70 old TV themes in it. Hey, I can't live without The A-Team, Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers, and M.A.S.K. with me at all times!

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #29 of 43
Currently I have 1968 songs with most encoded at 192vbr. I have several thousand mp3's and several dozen cd's waiting to be checked/encoded before adding. Before I do I need to determine if I can notice a difference between 192 and 256 or higher with my current equipment and ears.

I am also an album guy, but more and more I find I like only one song so that will be all that gets added. I listen to a wide variety of music, rarely just one genre. (I might listen to something classical then rock, jazz, pop, country, rock, etc. in that order.) So tags are not real important to me now.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #30 of 43
I have 3098 songs (approx 21GB) - 90% ripped at 256vbr via iTunes. I keep primarily complete albums (roughly 250 of them). I rate all of my songs as follows: 5 = love it, 4 = really like it, 3 = like it, 2 = don't really care for it, 1 = strongly dislike it. Out of the 3098 songs, I have roughly 500 5's and 1000 4's.

I use playlists to do most of my listening. I probably have 300 playlists, so I almost never use the artist/album/song menus. As examples of what I do with the playlists, I might re-order the songs on a greatest hits collection to put them in chronological sequence or omit a one-star song from an album (ex: revolution #9 omitted from white album).

I have a smart playlist that I call IPOD-FM which randomly selects 5-star songs that I have not heard recently, just in case I have no idea of what to listen to... I usually find an album within 2-3 songs from this playlist.

I also made an album (called "Singles") from 150 one-hit wonder songs that I mostly bought from iTunes. I made a few playlists from this group according to time period. There's a lot of 5's in that list as you might imagine since I specifically went looking for the song.

I am pretty anal about my playcounts also. I reset all of my playcounts about a year ago. I made a smart playlist called "never played" and worked it until it was empty. It took me a few months to get through the entire collection and in the process I weeded out a few albums that had all 3's or at best one 4-5 that got moved to the singles collection. My highest playcount is 5 or 6 - I tend to cycle through my collection one album or artist at a time rather than playing the same song on repeat (I never do that).

I love smart playlists. They are pretty useful for me since I am so anal about my tags, ratings, and playcounts. Sometimes, I will make a temporary playlist such as all songs by the Beatles rated 5 that I haven't played in the past 90 days (sort of my own greatest hits compilation).

This is probably WAY more information than you wanted but I like to talk about this subject.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back