How many songs on your ipod? And how you sort your music
Oct 20, 2007 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

weste47

100+ Head-Fier
Just thought i'd make this topic on these forums, because I have seen it done on another forum and its pretty interesting to see how people sort out their collections, what bit rate they use for most of their music, and how many songs they have? And also if you keep full albums all the time, or just pick out the songs you like from albums. I'll start.

I seperate my music by using genres for the different types of music I listen to. I've seperated everything into 6 genres making it easy to pick something for the mood I'm in.

On ipod now is 3708 songs taking up 20.02 GB. (I'm really picky about what I put onto the ipod, mostly all of the songs I like listening to.)

About half of my music is 128kbps + and the other half is 256kbps + .

Personally I pick out only the songs I like from albums, unless it's and album that works better if you have all the songs.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 43
8945 songs on my 80 gig ipod.
sorted by:
Artist\(date) Album\tracknumber - title

Pretty simple and works great for me.

edit: All songs are LAME 3.97b -V0

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 43
I have seven iPods with nearly a year worth of music on them. Each iPod is linked to a different iTunes library by type of music... classical, jazz, rock n' roll, popular music, ethnic, country, soundtracks/library music. There are subcategories in each type and decade of music listed in the genre tag (jazz- 1940s big band, 1950s be bop, 1920s trad jazz, 1930s harlem jazz, etc.) This allows me to shuffle by decade or style. I try to preen my artists tags so they display properly in artist view. I don't worry about any other tags. As I listen, if I come across a song I don't want, I mark it one star and delete it next time I sync. Favorite songs are flagged as five stars.

See ya
Steve

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 43
1035 songs on my iPod touch at the moment.

Albums are sorted by "Artist\Album\Track Number - Song Title".

Everything's encoded in 256kbps VBR AAC (iTunes encoder). Some songs have been transcoded from FLAC/Apple Lossless, and some are straight from the CD.

Of course, Radiohead's In Rainbows album is encoded in 160kbps MP3.
frown.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotsoda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Albums are sorted by "Artist\Album\Track Number - Song Title"(

I am a bit surprised: So far I thought, that iPods can only be run via Tags, not by folder structure (at least with iTunes). This is, why I still have two Archos, where I either can browse through the folders or use the Tag-lists.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit surprised: So far I thought, that iPods can only be run via Tags, not by folder structure (at least with iTunes). This is, why I still have two Archos, where I either can browse through the folders or use the Tag-lists.

I'm talking about my folder structure on my computer, not what's displayed on my iPod.

As a side-note, I do prefer browsing music in an ID3 tag database instead of folders, especially since I can customize my view on the iPod.

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seven iPods with nearly a year worth of music on them. Each iPod is linked to a different iTunes library by type of music... classical, jazz, rock n' roll, popular music, ethnic, country, soundtracks/library music. There are subcategories in each type and decade of music listed in the genre tag (jazz- 1940s big band, 1950s be bop, 1920s trad jazz, 1930s harlem jazz, etc.) This allows me to shuffle by decade or style. I try to preen my artists tags so they display properly in artist view. I don't worry about any other tags. As I listen, if I come across a song I don't want, I mark it one star and delete it next time I sync. Favorite songs are flagged as five stars.

See ya
Steve

blink.gif

Wow, 7 ipods! You sir, must really love your music
icon10.gif
I would be even more impressed if you said they were all iModded
eek.gif

I have about 1.5K worth of songs that are mostly FLAC'ed. It's Rockboxed, and I like to view the albums by directory--alphabetized.

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodap /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With RockBox, you can browse by folder structure or ID tags. I use folders.

-Pony

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 43
About 100 tracks (no exact number available atm), occupying ~3.5GB

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 43
I have 5391 songs occupying about 33GB on my 5G 60GB iPod. I sort my tracks in iTunes via Album by Year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back