How many songs on your ipod? And how you sort your music
Oct 25, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #31 of 43
Wow, Orcin, just wow...

I thought I was bad about songs and playlists. I use drag and drop with my RCA Lyra RD-2763FM (AKA Ole Blue), so I just drag whole directories of songs onto it. They're arranged in and play in alphabetical order, but I've organized them in a way that feels and sounds more random than that.

Mostly, I use 128kbps, which sounds great to me, and I only carry around a few albums on my Lyra (including the unsung Spider-Man: Rock Reflections of a Superhero and the semi-legendary Songs and Stories of the Justice League of America).

I'm still just amazed that I can carry around all of this music at any time. It's a long way from those mixtapes I recorded on cassettes just a little over ten years ago!
lambda.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #32 of 43
2224 tracks in Apple Lossless, using approx. 64 GB of 74 available.

I primarily shuffle either the while collection or within a genre. I only use 9 genres for pretty diverse collection, so even within a genre, I get a nice variety.

It's pretty simple to move CDs on and off the iPod, so there are some CDs I always keep on, and the rest gets cycled through as I please.

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #33 of 43
Currently, I have 13,092 tracks on my 80GB Classic with about 4GB free. All of the tracks are at least 192K VBR except for Radiohead's In Rainbows
rolleyes.gif
. Most of my tracks are from eMusic and I've been a member there since the Unlimited days.

My music on the computer is organized into Artist/Album folders. I only listen to full albums, and that's what goes onto my iPod.

Rick

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #35 of 43
18,375. All LAME MP3 (-V0 for the ones I ripped myself or converted from lossless, usually 192 or greater on everything else). 160GB Classic.

I put full albums on my iPod because I fit my entire collection on there and I don't keep anything but full albums in my collection. I primarily sort Genre -> Artist -> Album -> Track, but frequently use the "Shuffle All Tracks" feature.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #36 of 43
I have 2943 songs... sill missing 6,000 more files (damn my computer AND back-up crashing at the same time) ...

Anyways, I just sort them by Artist/ Album/ Track number.

Since I'm currently rocking an iPod nano, I basically pick whatever I feel like in the morning and try to jam it on there, and hopefully I don't need to delete anything...

Oct 26, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_utero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 2943 songs... sill missing 6,000 more files (damn my computer AND back-up crashing at the same time) ...

Anyways, I just sort them by Artist/ Album/ Track number.

Since I'm currently rocking an iPod nano, I basically pick whatever I feel like in the morning and try to jam it on there, and hopefully I don't need to delete anything...

Ahh that happened to me this summer, I feel your pain. I had almost 20,000 tracks in iTunes, 10 folders sorting a huge amount of playlists up. Now I'm sitting at around 2,500. Don't ever try to run iTunes off a USB network hard disk, it ruined my music library!

To look on the bright side, I hope you've used the rebuilding to your advantage.

I now have album art for EVERY album. I have EVERYTHING in Apple Lossless this time (and a separate identical Mp3 VBR library to feed to my 1st gen iPod and 2nd gen iPod shuffle). My genres are EXACTLY how I want them to be.

I even went to the extent of hunting down the producer's name of every album (or even down to each song I have of hip-hop), and in the "Comments" section when ripping I put the record label that the CD I purchased was released on.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 3098 songs (approx 21GB) - 90% ripped at 256vbr via iTunes. I keep primarily complete albums (roughly 250 of them). I rate all of my songs as follows: 5 = love it, 4 = really like it, 3 = like it, 2 = don't really care for it, 1 = strongly dislike it. Out of the 3098 songs, I have roughly 500 5's and 1000 4's.

I use playlists to do most of my listening. I probably have 300 playlists, so I almost never use the artist/album/song menus. As examples of what I do with the playlists, I might re-order the songs on a greatest hits collection to put them in chronological sequence or omit a one-star song from an album (ex: revolution #9 omitted from white album).

I have a smart playlist that I call IPOD-FM which randomly selects 5-star songs that I have not heard recently, just in case I have no idea of what to listen to... I usually find an album within 2-3 songs from this playlist.

I also made an album (called "Singles") from 150 one-hit wonder songs that I mostly bought from iTunes. I made a few playlists from this group according to time period. There's a lot of 5's in that list as you might imagine since I specifically went looking for the song.

I am pretty anal about my playcounts also. I reset all of my playcounts about a year ago. I made a smart playlist called "never played" and worked it until it was empty. It took me a few months to get through the entire collection and in the process I weeded out a few albums that had all 3's or at best one 4-5 that got moved to the singles collection. My highest playcount is 5 or 6 - I tend to cycle through my collection one album or artist at a time rather than playing the same song on repeat (I never do that).

I love smart playlists. They are pretty useful for me since I am so anal about my tags, ratings, and playcounts. Sometimes, I will make a temporary playlist such as all songs by the Beatles rated 5 that I haven't played in the past 90 days (sort of my own greatest hits compilation).

This is probably WAY more information than you wanted but I like to talk about this subject.
600smile.gif

haha, sheesh thats a lot of organizing.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #39 of 43
I have a brand new Ipod Classic 160GB which i started to fill up with my music collection a couple of days ago.
Currently it have 2477 songs using 35,23 GB. My favorites albums are in Apple Lossless, others VBR lame MP3 files (most V2 or V0) ...

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by weste47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, sheesh thats a lot of organizing.

Yeah, the key word in my post is "anal".
600smile.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #41 of 43
7,534 songs on both my 80 gig ipod and 160 gig ipod classic, ranging everywhere from 128 kbps to lossless, depending on priority. I sort the songs by title, album, artist, the whole 9. I try to have the entire descriptive field filled out, and I have album art for every album that actually has it, short of demos and singles.

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #42 of 43

everything is 256+ kbps. I rip from FLAC at v0.

Everything is sorted by artist. Wish I could sort Albums by release date. Sometimes its hard to see Van Hargar infront of Van Roth, if you know what I mean. I could go through my library (saved on a server drive) and retag every album...

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #43 of 43
I've about 145GB, which is about 32,000 files. How many are music files and how many are other files I have no idea. Most of it is MP3's 128~320kbps. Its does need a big cull but I'd say I'd get it down to about 60~80GBs if I spent a bit of time going through it. Theres probably duplicates and albums which I no longer listen to in there aswell. Its more of a store of all my music and my better halfs stuff aswell. I've never got around to clearing it out.

I mainly use file tree, Genre>Artist> Album, or Genre>Album for compilations, soundtracks etc. But I use tags a bit aswell for use with different players. I use MediaMonkey and have a few smaller capacity players. I commute a lot so I listen to alot of music there. I mainly listen to it in the computer, and at work. Thinking of getting an iPod Classic and using it to see what I'm actually listening to and what I'm not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back