How many songs do you have in your music library?
Aug 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #181 of 615
Quote:
After enormous research, I found my iTunes to sound almost entirely the same to my Foobar2000 player after configuring a few settings. 

Good to know, I made a whole thread on that and no one really said anything, it's almost like taboo around here to even SUGGEST there is minimal difference between direct sound and bit perfect.

It's hard enough practice for me learning to live with the player after reading so many threads/posts on head-fi that dismiss it. ANYWAY, back to the song count!

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #182 of 615
Quote:
Good to know, I made a whole thread on that and no one really said anything, it's almost like taboo around here to even SUGGEST there is minimal difference between direct sound and bit perfect.

It's hard enough practice for me learning to live with the player after reading so many threads/posts on head-fi that dismiss it. ANYWAY, back to the song count!

I've come to acknowledge that many people tend to overlook the word placebo.  Everyone's hearing is different and of course, I am sure there are some players out there that do have better sound quality.  Yet as a Windows user, I see only two solutions (excl. WinAmp as its never functioned properly once for me), is iTunes and Foobar2000.  I like both interfaces, but enjoy iTunes a tad more.
smile.gif

Anywho, I've gone up to 3,916 songs.  Can't wait to get to 4,000!
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #183 of 615
Quote:
I've come to acknowledge that many people tend to overlook the word placebo.  Everyone's hearing is different and of course, I am sure there are some players out there that do have better sound quality.  Yet as a Windows user, I see only two solutions (excl. WinAmp as its never functioned properly once for me), is iTunes and Foobar2000.  I like both interfaces, but enjoy iTunes a tad more.
smile.gif

Anywho, I've gone up to 3,916 songs.  Can't wait to get to 4,000!
biggrin.gif

Well Placebo is a very real thing. I mean look at the market today (beat's R Us). People are tricked into thinking they are buying quality when they are not. They are just purchasing a name and nothing more. But that doesn't mean everyone is a victim of it.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #190 of 615
I'm just glad I was luckily able to recover most of it lol. My HD started acting up on me and I nearly lost everything. I was so sick.... I've learned to always back things now. I figured I wouldn't have a problem with this hard drive since it was relatively new so I didn't bother backing up. Big mistake. I managed to bring it back to life long enough to copy all my Lossless over. I wasn't able to get all my mp3s off though before it started giving errors. Not that it matters I actually had most of that back up anyways strangely enough :p. I also learned to do my research when buying cheap drives with lots of capacity. It seems the Green Caviar has issues with parking constantly. This is was caused the drive to destroy itself in less than a years time. So this time I went in and altered the firmware myself so it don't park constantly anymore...... Plus I did a back up on my extra drive lol.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #191 of 615
Quote:
I'm just glad I was luckily able to recover most of it lol. My HD started acting up on me and I nearly lost everything. I was so sick.... I've learned to always back things now. I figured I wouldn't have a problem with this hard drive since it was relatively new so I didn't bother backing up. Big mistake. I managed to bring it back to life long enough to copy all my Lossless over. I wasn't able to get all my mp3s off though before it started giving errors. Not that it matters I actually had most of that back up anyways strangely enough :p. I also learned to do my research when buying cheap drives with lots of capacity. It seems the Green Caviar has issues with parking constantly. This is was caused the drive to destroy itself in less than a years time. So this time I went in and altered the firmware myself so it don't park constantly anymore...... Plus I did a back up on my extra drive lol.

That's terrible!  Good thing you got most of it all back.  WD drives have seem to have lost a lot of their recognition in durability these days.  I hear Seagate drives are the more reliable ones now.  

I always back up to two external drives.  I don't back up any apps or anything, just my documents, pictures, and music.  :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #192 of 615
Started over my music collection around 2010 before then, it was full of a bunch of crap from limewire and random torrents (oh the joy of sweet ignorance)

Anyhow, I only had a laptop then, so I got mostly FLAC and converted it down to v0 for size reasons.. 

For my 19th birthday I put together a Desktop computer for myself, So I guess I have been collecting/ripping into flac and keeping it that way for a year and a month.. ANYHOW, now that you have the story, lets get to the numbers.

30k unique tracks in my library. 11k are FLAC the rest is mostly v0 or 320.. I have some albums in 192, maybe even a few in 128 if I have yet to find something nicer. Some stuff is hard to come by, I usually have to physically buy these albums and rip em myself, if i can find them at all.

Yes, I do make good use of my library, yes I do need this many songs. No, it's not too much.

I delete something if I don't like it, and I have listened to every artist in my library, not the entirety of every album though. I like having some stuff I liked but haven't had the time to listen to entirely around.

All of this being said, I have stopped actively acquiring new albums.. I still seem to get a lot of new stuff though, I just can't help it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back