How many songs do you have in your music library?
Aug 7, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #166 of 615
Yeah, when you RECORD a file, it's a good practice to use 24 bit, or even 32 I guess, because then when you edit / mix / filter / sound-design  etc  you have greater flexibility to combine, filter, add, subtract  etc - and, when DSP is working with 24 bit data (or 32) and then your final product is 16 bit Red book, you'll have greater precision expressed within those 16 bits than if you done all your mixing and other DSP work in 16 bits all along.  The rounding errors, etc, tend to add up and if those LSB's are bits 23 and 24 - which more or less get truncated when going from your 24 bit working file to 16 bits final output render-  that little bit of grunge from rounding etc down in the least significant bits will just be discarded.

I think this is one of the reasons that some modern digital recordings can sound so good, people are paying attention to these things.

So if you are doing some DSP (like EQ, etc)  on playback, it's useful to do that DSP at 24 bits rather than at 16, even though your original data is just 16 bits. The rounding errors and so on in DSP can build up from various iterative things going on inside the DSP algorithm, and those rounding errors are harder to hear (impossible to hear?) when they are in the 24th bit rather than in the 16th bit.

Your music- the 16 bit data- won't magically grow into 24 bit data, but the operations done to that 16 bit data will be more precise and likely better sounding if those operations are done at 24 bits. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #168 of 615
As of today, I have 17794 songs in my iTunes library, occupying 1058.19GB of my hard drive.
All are in AIFF format. Roughly 80% classical music, 10% jazz, 10% pop. 
L3000.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #170 of 615
Hmm, I think I get this now.  So if your RedBook CDs are ripped into 24-bit/32-bit (despite them being 16-bit), and if you use DSP, there will be no loss in SQ whatsoever (or at least for the most part).  Interesting...guess ya really do learn something new every day.

There's loss, but there's no gain either.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #171 of 615
I currently have 41648 tracks, almost 18 weeks worth of music.  All but about 20 albums are lossless.  A handful of higher rez stuff.  All metal and some hard rock.  I have my data/music drive backed up to an external hard drive, and also on a second hard drive I keep in a fireproof safe.  I use J. River Media Center with EQuality equalizer (64 bit) and ASIO mode - makes for absolutely wonderful sounding music; far better than foobar could ever do.  Not free, though. 
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #172 of 615
Itunes says 1745 songs, and I have about 100 vinyls some of the same albums as itunes.

I strongly feel being at one with your collection and albums. I could easily load up on band's full discographies and things that seem like they would be worth listening too, but I wont. 
I like to not nessesarly "master" but be comfortable with an album and explore most of it before I move on to a new one if that makes sense.

I've often seen people's digital collections that were massive (I suspect they just download huge torrents) but obviously there is more there than you could really connect with.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #173 of 615
Quote:
Itunes says 1745 songs, and I have about 100 vinyls some of the same albums as itunes.

I strongly feel being at one with your collection and albums. I could easily load up on band's full discographies and things that seem like they would be worth listening too, but I wont. 
I like to not nessesarly "master" but be comfortable with an album and explore most of it before I move on to a new one if that makes sense.

I've often seen people's digital collections that were massive (I suspect they just download huge torrents) but obviously there is more there than you could really connect with.

Most of my digital music collection are from CDs I own.  The only ones I don't are either the ones that I listen to the least or are bought from either the iTunes store or HDTracks.com.  Other than that, I own most of what I have.  I want to get into vinyl, but I've yet to even finish a good digital rig.  I do hope to have a vinyl setup one day though.  I have heard the luscious sounds they give from a $5000 setup, and man did it sound gorgeous.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #174 of 615
i have about 2000+ songs (singles) now , but i kinda slowed down because i used mediaplayer to edit album art and stuff and now the library is corrupt, so all my hard work has gone down the drain , and since i edited the track in wmp12 mediamoney greyed out some of my tracks so thats not helping either 
frown.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #175 of 615
right now on my lappy I have 67 songs all lossless and recorded off my GuS PnP pro :) (old synthesiser)
all of witch are 2.8mb's and 44khz :D I can record up to 8mb's on that sucker

my laptop only has a 32gb ssd so I can't fit all to much on it
as for my desktop, well it (not me) lost count long ago lol

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #176 of 615
Quote:
i have about 2000+ songs (singles) now , but i kinda slowed down because i used mediaplayer to edit album art and stuff and now the library is corrupt, so all my hard work has gone down the drain , and since i edited the track in wmp12 mediamoney greyed out some of my tracks so thats not helping either 
frown.gif

You should try iTunes for organization..that's what I use and it works great.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #177 of 615
Quote:
frown.gif

I recommend using mp3tag. Lean how to do the basic functions on the fly and it can make your nightmare into neat dreams :).

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #178 of 615
My foobar shows a total of 49 963 tracks. Must say it includes plenty of mixes with standalone tracks but some mixes are in one file aswell. I mainly listen to jazz and drum and bass.

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #179 of 615
Quote:
You should try iTunes for organization..that's what I use and it works great.

One of the ONLY reasons I use itunes. Every album has it's own art (most of it I manually uploaded from the best image I could find and cleaned up in photoshop).

But it completely astonishes me that after all these years they STILL compress all album art to 200K or something around there. I really wish it didn't do that, you would think since it has a FULLSCREEN button they would have been a little more open with file sizes.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #180 of 615
Quote:
One of the ONLY reasons I use itunes. Every album has it's own art (most of it I manually uploaded from the best image I could find and cleaned up in photoshop).

But it completely astonishes me that after all these years they STILL compress all album art to 200K or something around there. I really wish it didn't do that, you would think since it has a FULLSCREEN button they would have been a little more open with file sizes.

After enormous research, I found my iTunes to sound almost entirely the same to my Foobar2000 player after configuring a few settings.  So now I use iTunes for playback of most of my files (ALAC, AIFF, AAC, etc.), and Foobar2000 for my FLAC files.  So I use iTunes a tad more than just for organization.
tongue_smile.gif

However, I agree with you on album art, some if not most art look terrible in Full-Screen mode.  I always manually upload the best hi-quality image I can find.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't think Apple would find it worth working on as it almost defeats the purpose of their favorite AAC codec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back