How many songs do you have in your music library?
Oct 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #587 of 615
I use Backblaze for online backups done automatically. I also store to a hard drive every now and then. Before the online backup, I used to backup to DVDs every couple months.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #588 of 615
Just a hair under 550,000 tracks of mixed formats. 

I wish Portable DAP companies would consider those of us with large collections. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #589 of 615

I wish Portable DAP companies would consider those of us with large collections. 

Amen. Unfortunately we are in the minority.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #590 of 615
One of my favorite fashion designers has a 100 ipods and uses one of his fashion houses to produce one off cases for like a dozen ipods or so. He actually has an "ipod nanny" on employ whose job it is to maintain the ipod collection and keep the newer ones updated with "fresh music". Seems like a perfect job for me.

I've spent like almost 15 years cultivating my personal collection, and besides the custom high capacity storage ipod mod route that's recently become feasible, I've had run multiple DAPs to keep myself musically occupied.

It really is a shame we as consumers are ignored in needs, by all the manufacturers. Its not like we are asking for much here, just a larger amount of ram for databasing purposes. :/ 

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #594 of 615
But GB isn't the same as number of songs. 1GB might be 4 songs at 192/24 lossless, 125 songs at 256kbps, or 250 songs at 128kbps MP3.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #597 of 615

Not a standalone DAP, but I have my phone (HTC M8 + 128GB microSD) able to download anything from my music collection on-demand with Dropbox. I have the premium service ($10/mo or $100/yr) storing 743 GB (107,810 tracks). If I want a song that's not already loaded on the phone, I just export from Dropbox.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #598 of 615
I run my own high bandwidth VPS housed private cloud, so I have that option, and I use it for sure, with my laptop for grabbing and uploading data, including music at times. But I use my phone, tablet and laptop for work 16 hours a day. I personally like my music device to dedicated, but I appreciate your setup and solution. I have been traveling pretty much non-stop for over a decade, so sometimes cellular/wifi isn't an option on the fly, and many times when I have the downtime to play with my music collection, all I want to do is get far away from my phone and laptop, so in my case, I like my devices to be low maintenance and separated. I'm funny like that. I use my Moto X throughout my work day, and when I finish up, I grab my "dumb flip phone" and use that till bedtime. When I go out I like that I have a phone I can call and send simple texts from. And, I like that my DAP can't remind me I have a task at hand or issue me commands. Just a dumb device to let me enjoy my music without being bothered.  :)

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #599 of 615
Currently 3572 albums. All lossless/high rez. Just added a 4TB hard drive, so I can double my collection eventually.
wink_face.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #600 of 615
approximately 460,000 tracks (approximately 95% 16bit/44.1kHz flac, except as noted below, with the balance being high bit rate mp3, all tracks are fully tagged and yes there are some doubles but sorting that out is a chore I'm not about to undertake)

approximately 34,900 albums (with multi disc sets stored as one album, as in for disc one the tracks are numbered 101, 102, etc.)

approximately  2,500 24bit/88.2kHz or 24bit/96kHz albums (flac and most of which are "doubles" of 16bit/44.1kHz albums)

approximately 22,330 artists (Note: due to legal restrictions there is no Taylor Swift in my collection.)

Main genres:
Jazz - aprox. 21,000 albums (what can I say I really love jazz)
Rock - approx. 6,500 albums
Classical - approx. 2500 albums

total playing time 39697 hours = 1654 days = 4 years, 6 months and 12 days

14.5 TB total storage:
two 5 bay Drobos each with 5 X 2TB drives plus one stand alone 3TB external hard drive (all fully backed up with mirrored drives) plus another stand alone 3TB external hard drive ready to be added.

Media server: Logitech Media Server 7.9

Official Logitech Media Server Library Statistics:
Total Tracks: 460,158
Total Albums: 34,893
Total Artists: 32,322
Total Genres: 218
Total Playing Time: 39696:58:41

Music is streamed via a dedicated desktop computer running Logitech Media Server 7.9 to 7 Squeezebox devices, one iPad and one Nook tablet.

Other software used in maintaining music library:
ripping and converting: dbPowerAmp
artwork: FastStone Image Viewer
renaming: Renamer 6.0
tagging: Mp3tag 2.65a
cue splitter: Medieval CUE Splitter 1.2
Miscellaneous: Foobar 2000 (one always needs Foobar)

Personal data: just shy of 60 years old, retired (how the hell else would I have the time to manage such a monster of a music library?) and a jazz fan and listener for over 40 years, please check out my jazz recommendations in the "On a mission to like jazz" thread in the music section of the forum (http://www.head-fi.org/t/693212/on-a-mission-to-like-jazz)
I try to justify my ridiculous music collection by saying that my taste for jazz is not being served by either radio or streaming services and even paid streaming services fall short of being able to provide a lot of the avant-garde and free jazz that I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back