how many people on head fi are female?
Jun 17, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #61 of 115
How many?  A quick and dirty non-scientific completely anecdotal guess from our last Head-Fi meet tells me closer to 1% than 5%.  If you take away the females that were dragged there by their BFs/SOs, I think there were about two out of a few hundred attendees.  Completely pulling this out of my rear end, I would venture to say that the interest in music among the genders is fairly equal (+/- 10% at the most?).  So what we're talking about here is interest in gear and the pursuit of sound quality.  Guys by nature and culture are gear oriented I'm guessing.  It's too bad there aren't many females in this hobby.  It would be much more interesting to get their perspective on things, as I'm sure they would value different things in both equipment and what they look for in sound.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #62 of 115
Ratatosk also carries words of profanity between the two, so...

I see no reason for having a box in the profile where you can tick of your gender.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #63 of 115

I play the Violin as well
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Nah just kidding guys.

and... girls are better at violin.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #65 of 115
In the end, it doesn't really matter what gender you are. Anyone who's on here is a lover of audio/music. 

To anyone who assumes they're not many women on this website, that's pretty sexist and ignorant.

Err.. happy listening?! 
wink.gif
 That's what this site is about right? 

While I completely agree with you that gender really does not matter and that this site is all about music and listening gear appreciation, how is it "sexist and ignorant" to assume there aren't many women around here? To say that there aren't any women around here or that there shouldn't be any women around here would, indeed, be sexist and ignorant. However, the reality is such that - as many have already pointed out - male members disproportionately outnumber the female members. This is true whether we like it or not.

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm all for women getting into higher end audio. Heck, if any of the women here have pretty friends in the Los Angeles area, by all means, please please please tell them to wear the likes of Sennheisers, Grados and such out and about. Also, you might as well warn them about being swooped upon by a devilishly handsome guy who will most likely be sporting some equally sexy TF10s. :)

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #71 of 115

Quote:
How many?  A quick and dirty non-scientific completely anecdotal guess from our last Head-Fi meet tells me closer to 1% than 5%.  If you take away the females that were dragged there by their BFs/SOs, I think there were about two out of a few hundred attendees.  Completely pulling this out of my rear end, I would venture to say that the interest in music among the genders is fairly equal (+/- 10% at the most?).  So what we're talking about here is interest in gear and the pursuit of sound quality.  Guys by nature and culture are gear oriented I'm guessing.  It's too bad there aren't many females in this hobby.  It would be much more interesting to get their perspective on things, as I'm sure they would value different things in both equipment and what they look for in sound.

i am here for my love of music not the gear. i personally still don't see the point in spending more then $400 on headphones when i can get enjoyment for less. i don't think i am gear oriented but i do like having items but i can guarantee plenty of women feel the same. and if you don't believe me tell that to the list of girls i know with $10 000 speaker systems. 2 to be exact. puts my gear to shame.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #72 of 115

Quote:
ya um i have no idea if thats male or female. it looks male but i am not sure.

Since the subjects been breached what's with everyone on here being anime crazy? Everywhere I go on here 75% of people have anime avatars up. Considering 90% of the avatars are anime girls the very first time I stumbled across this site I actually thought most of the users on here were young girls and nearly left without seeing what the forums had to offer. True story I kid you not.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #73 of 115

Quote:
Since the subjects been breached what's with everyone on here being anime crazy? Everywhere I go on here 75% of people have anime avatars up. Considering 90% of the avatars are anime girls the very first time I stumbled across this site I actually thought most of the users on here were young girls and nearly left without seeing what the forums had to offer. True story I kid you not.

anime is really popular amongst geeks. i assure you though i am not a geek.

also never assume anime was made for young girls or you would be sadly mistaken. most animes were made for a male audience. but i do agree. i was surprised when i joined this site that so many people liked anime. nothing wrong with it just surprising. but maybe before knocking anime you should watch shows like elfen lied or death note to decide if you think it was for females. there is a lot of nudiy in anime. i kid you not.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #74 of 115

Quote:
i am here for my love of music not the gear. i personally still don't see the point in spending more then $400 on headphones when i can get enjoyment for less. i don't think i am gear oriented but i do like having items but i can guarantee plenty of women feel the same. and if you don't believe me tell that to the list of girls i know with $10 000 speaker systems. 2 to be exact. puts my gear to shame.

The fact that you're spending time on head-fi proves you're gear oriented. Hell you have 3x posts than I do yet you joined only about 6 months ago.

I personally guarantee you'll spend more than $400 in the future
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back