How many pairs of headphones do you own?
Apr 24, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #106 of 212
10 total (between headphones and iems) although I might sell a few soon.

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #107 of 212
Eleven. I could easily sell off six and still be happy with the remainder, though. This raises the question, how many headphones constitute a selection and at what number does it become a collection?

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #110 of 212
Three, soon to be 4.

I have the K240/MKII and am looking to upgrade that to the Q701. I got suckered into the M50x after reading it's a better alternative t Beats, but I don't like them AT ALL. It's too clamp-heavy, too bass heavy, too hot on my ears, and not clear enough across the frequency.

I also have a Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, and they're much better than the Audio-Technicas. However, when I put music on to enjoy and get into it (which is like 99% of the time), I reach for my AKG's. The Beyers ended up as a gift to my mother.

My 4th pair is the 99 Classics; pre-ordered the Walnut/Silver and am waiting on shipment. It's my first foray into the higher-ends of headphones. It was a toss-up between the 99's and the Fidelio X2, but I opted for the 99's because they're closed but still offer a good soundstage. I may still pick up the X2 but I'm not sure if it sounds too similar.

It's rather like enjoying fine single malts: It's like training the palette; you can't start off with a 30-year Macallan and expect to really enjoy it, you know? I started off with mediocre stuff, but as I've sampled more headphones and bought and enjoyed music more I'm learning what I like and how to distinguish what makes a nicer sounding can. I'm a piker n00b compared to you lot but getting there is half the fun.

Eleven. I could easily sell off six and still be happy with the remainder, though. This raises the question, how many headphones constitute a selection and at what number does it become a collection?

I'd say that's a collection. :wink:

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #111 of 212
Four currently.

Shure SRH1540
Panasonic RP HD10
JVC Victor HA FX750
Narmoo S1

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #112 of 212
One:

The HE-500.

Guess I'm a collector of music rather than audio gear.

The HE-500 with my ancillary gear serves all my music needs just fine.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #113 of 212
Would love to only have one pair sometimes however it's a compact hobby :) Tend to rotate through them but the HD600 tend to get bought again and again.....

Full size

T90, PM-3, HD600

IEM

Fiio EX1, Shure SE535, Hifiman RE600, Havi B Pro 1.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #114 of 212
I've owned around 50 headphones. (See profile.)

I did not own them all at once. Selling and trading on the used market enabled me to try dozens of headphones efficiently without losing much money.

When I first joined this site, I was like a kid in a candy store. I wanted everything. After either owning or auditioning many of the headphones I lusted after, I've mellowed out and lost interest in nearly all of them.

Right now I am only using a Koss KTXPRO1. (Also have a JVC HA-RX700 I'm looking to get rid of.) I never would have imagined a $15 headphone could sound so good. It's easily better than at least half of the headphones I've heard in the three-figure range. I enjoy it so much that I'm happy using it until I can afford ultra-high-end electrostatic systems, which are the only ones that remain on my wish list.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #115 of 212
Currently I have no idea how many I own. Probably between 60-70 including a handful of IEMs.
Only 12 of them are in some sort or rotation/use/permanent collection.
I have owned about 170 in total ever (excluding multiple copies of the same headphone)
I've got around 13 coming in next month.

Yes, I'm very very ill. 
tongue.gif

I just hope it's not contagious - I don't wish this disease upon anyone. 
k701smile.gif

(mostly old/cheap/vintage headphones some just end up as scrap for ortho modding)

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #116 of 212
Man, it's so weird seeing threads I posted in years ago being bumped up.

I currently have:

Beyerdynamic T5P V1 - My every-phone. Use them for portable use sometimes, as well as games, movies, music, etc. They generally get the most head time.
Sony MDR-CD900ST - My previous main headphone. Haven't seen much use lately because the T5Ps do almost everything better. I pop them on every once in a while, though.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 - These are if I want to take really nice sound on the go, but don't want to risk breaking/having my T5Ps stolen. Also scratch my bass-head itch.
AKG M220 - They currently get the most head time because they're new. I think when the newness wears off they might be my portable 'phone for when I don't need isolation.
AKG K612 Pro - My extended listening headphone, and headphone I use for online games. I hate not being able to hear myself when doing voice chat, so the open feature is kind of a must for online use.
Koss Pro DJ100 - Old beater portable headphone. Pads are deteriorating, and they currently don't get a lot of use since they don't isolate well, but when I had fewer headphones they were what I reached for for portable use.
Sony ZX700 - Or rather, the one with the mic. Can't remember the exact model number of that. This is my main portable headphone, though. Isolation is exceptional, as is comfort, so it's good for that. Build quality is also nice.
Koss KSC-75 - They see no use anymore. I just pop them on from time to time so see if they sound as good as I remember. They do.

I'd sorta like to start thinning the herd, but I can't bring myself to part with the CD900STs again.
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #117 of 212
5 I guess.

HD 598s which I'm going to sell since I just bought HD 650s
Shure SE215 IEMs.
Some old UE earbuds
Some skull candy earbuds
Logitech gaming headset

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #118 of 212
I have about 10 or so total including over ear, on ear, iems, and buds ATM.

I have a pair that stay at my desk and connected to my computer interface, and I swap between 4 or 5 of the others depending on my mood for portable. I also have 2 or 3 iems and buds that I use when I'm in bed or laying down on occasion. They are easier to deal with if you fall asleep while using them.

I recently had to throw out about 3 or 4 pairs cause they were just too old, crappy, or broke. 

My last pair, I actually won, and didn't really need that type of headphone but I'm happy with it and enjoy it.

I have one pair that was a really bad purchase and I wish I never bought them. They've been a pain in my ass since I got them, and I even had to mod them just to not be so disappointed with them. Still really disappointed with them despite the slight improvements. I'd like to sell them, but they are already modded and I don't how it would be selling a not so great headphone to begin with that's been tampered with. Only reason I didn't send them back after I bought them was because I ordered them from japan and it would be nearly half the cost of the headphone just to send them back. I'm just glad they weren't expensive and I bought them with some xmas money, still sucks to buy something you really aren't happy with.

I think the reason I have so many headphones is not being satisfied, wanting something with a specific form for certain duties (mixing, portable, sleep) and generally just having a love/obsession with headphones. I also like to keep certain headphones in certain places instead of remembering to get the ones I want for a certain situation. I keep some by my bed. Some tucked away in the living room. One in a little pouch I often keep in a jacket pocket, etc. My headphones are stored near where I use them and that's where I leave them.

I have owned a lot more headphones over the years. Really too many to remember. The only thing is I never really spend too much on headphones, and I buy them rarely. It's just that they accumulate over time, and I tend to hold onto them years after I have any use for them. The most expensive I go is around $300, and the cheapest probably a $5 pair of sony buds which suck lol. I'd like to jump into the $400-500 range. I think that would probably be the sweet spot for what I want out of headphones sound wise.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #120 of 212
I've had 50 over the years, still have 33 of them (see profile for list), 36 total in the house if I count the 3 that my GF has (HD-700, SR-125, Edition 8 Julia).
I normally use 4-10 every day (RS2e, HD-650, HD-700, HD-800, 2 of the SennGrado's, HE-560, HE-400, and SRH-1840, SR-225e (modded)

They vary from cheap to up there in price, open, closed, semi-open, and DIY

Low end examples: HD-239, HD-455, Momentum on-ear

Mid range examples: HD-650, DT-990 premium, TH-600, SennGrado

High end examples: SR-009, HD-800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back